The New Kindle Oasis - The waterproof kindle is finally real

I have multiple books that are 30+ MB. I don’t expect to ever hit 32 GB, but as e-books start making heavier use of images, fancy fonts, etc, the size taken up will absolutely be a concern. I believe I already said that my old Paperwhite was bulging at the seams.

Must be a lot of pictures in there, yeah. Still, 32GB will hold over a thousand 30MB books.

And the cloud is there for a reason. Need more room? Take a book off. 32MB is a few seconds of bandwidth to put it back.

It supports audiobooks, so that would chew up some storage.

And I have over 2000 books on my to read list. Most of which are a lot smaller, granted. But just saying.

My older Paperwhite is still serving me quite well. I may take the plunge at some point because of the waterproof feature and dark mode, but I can’t think of a reason to jump on it. Kinda wish they’d replaced the charge port with a USB-C version.

That would be me. Kinda sucks, but now it sounds like I can stop that when I get a new Kindle. My gifted voyager is still a great device though, so no terrible rush. Also sounds like they don’t react well with water on the screen, just like a ziploc, but eh, the ziploc likes to fog up. Super annoying.

I don’t really understand needing more space, unless you just like loading everything you will ever read up at once and then forgetting about it, but I don’t work like that. I just keep a dozen or less at all times on it to better reflect my current reading habits.

For button issues, I just swipe in the direction I want the kindle to turn, which I found I like more than physical buttons since I can have my thumb anywhere on the screen. It’s just a nice analog to turning the page, but super lazy and easy. Then again the physical button might be nice for the water issues mentioned above, but only if you can turn off the touch screen page turn.

I have a lot of sideloaded books and no Wi-Fi during my work day, so offloading to the cloud isn’t a practical solution and I find it very valuable to be able to pull up whatever I feel like reading whenever. I mean, I delete books once I am done with them, but more come in than exit, generally.

I’m kinda glad I got my Oasis when I did. I just really really really prefer physical page turn buttons, but I can’t justify paying $120 extra for mostly just that, with the upcoming Paperwhite revision substantially closing what was previously a significant, if nonessential gap in quality of experience. And yet I don’t have to kick myself for doing it at the time, because I still have the nicest model.

It’s got the same 6 inch 300 PPI display as the current Paperwhite.

It seems that the author doesn’t know a lot about Kindles. The Paperwhites had 300 ppi for quite a while now and more brightness “for those extra sunny days“? That’s when I turn the kindle light off because I don’t need it.

I lusted after the Oasis and got one as a Christmas gift, so that was quite welcome. I had a Paperwhite and had trouble, like you note, justifying the extra expense to upgrade when my Paperwhite was fine.

That said, like you I love the page turn buttons. I can hold and page turn with one hand, which makes reading that much easier. I also think the way the weight is unevenly distributed on the Oasis makes it easier to hold with one hand. The waterproofing is just a nice extra. If I’m out somewhere having breakfast I can read and not worry about being sloppy with my glass of water.

And the dark mode is very nice too. I read in that mode day and night. It seems easier on my eyes.

Edit: If you want to justify the extra expense, think of using the Oasis over the next two years. That extra $120 will cost you not quite $0.17 per day.

Yeah, I’m tempted by the refurb Oasis from Amazon. Only $200.

The thing that I most missed about page turn buttons was being able to use my Kindle with gloves on (Minnesota winters are not kind to bare hands). I eventually found a capacitive stylus that sorta worked as a solution but it was far from ideal. I’m not looking forward to those temperatures returning, but I’ll be glad to have buttons when they inevitably do.

(Though you can’t wake the Oasis up with buttons as far as I can tell, so I might have to poke it once with an exposed finger or stylus to get it started. That’s a lot more practical than continuing to read that way, though.)

There’s a hard power button on the top of the device. Might be hard to hit with thick gloves on though. A quick de-glove, press, re-glove should suffice.

A magnetic cover will also turn on the device when you open the cover.

Yes, the power button turns it on, but it doesn’t wake it up. You have to swipe the touchscreen for that. And I don’t want to load down my Kindle with a cover. Especially given the prices on those things being completely bugfuck.

They make capacitive gloves, too, ya know!

Like most of Amazon, the majority of the products that come up when you search are from no-name temporary Chinese companies that will disappear within a year and are all selling the exact same items from the exact same factories, but if you poke around at your favorite menswear store, you should find 'em, if these Timberlands aren’t to your taste.

They all suck. No exceptions.

What I really want is a capacitive “button” that I can stick through the thumb of my glove and have that just work. That would be fantastic. Sadly such a thing does not seem to exist. I could find links to something similar from like 2010 but it isn’t purchasable now.

*shrugs*

I mean, mine from Bass aren’t better than actual fingertips, but they work fine. Biggest adjustment is figuring out the angle where the capacitive pad makes the best contact, which is a few degrees off from the angle I normally use a touchscreen via. Takes a couple of days each winter, and then I’m golden.

I guess I probably wouldn’t try to, like, play the world cellphone-based Fortnite finals or something in capacitive gloves, but they even stand up to my swipe-based keyboarding, so they handle my most taxing use case.

They must be really thin, tight gloves, then. Those work OK, but aren’t particularly warm.

In the dead of winter, I use mittens with detachable finger and thumbtips. Then I just pull my thumb out when I need it. This is a pain in the butt, but it does have the advantage of actually working.

Oh, yeah, for sure. I’m down in North Carolina, man. “Cold” is a more common descriptor of cranky service staff than the actual weather.