The New Mutants - X-Men horror

Anya Taylor-Joy, Maisie Williams, Charlie Heaton, Alice Braga, Blue Hunt, Henry Zaga

Directed by Josh Boone (The Fault in Our Stars)

Hard to imagine audiences knowing what to make of this, but I’m hoping for the best.

Me too! I like the cast (stranger things alum, Arya Stark, that chick who grew up to be a witch), and there is actually a rich history of horror comics. I would love to see this come out good. Especially if it allows me to get my Maise Williams body count fix.

I’m not sure I even know what to make of this, and I was a New Mutants fan. I don’t remember anything particularly horrory about the NM comics.

The comics may not have been in the horror genre, but during the Bill Sienkiewicz run, they were certainly darker then the rest of the X titles and had horrific elements.

But this? I don’t know. The preview just reminds me of every lame-ass PG13 teen horror movie set in an asylum.

None of those movies feature kids with powers. Which isn’t a guarantee of anything, sure. But this looks like someone is trying to do another supers movie that is eschewing the typical origin/intro movie formula. I welcome that attempt.

A few things shifting on X-films: Deadpool 2 moves up a few weeks. Gambit loses its thirty-second director.

New Mutants release pushed back 10 months. Now opening February of 2019. The reason being given is that they don’t want it to overlap with Deadpool 2. Ten months sounds a bit of a stretch for just massaging the release schedule though. Maybe it’s awful?

Maybe? Or perhaps they’re giving more time for the Disney\Fox thing to find some footing so they can perhaps insert a bit of MCUness into it? In my optimist brain, that’s what I’ll believe.

I would consider that not impossible, but the least likely of scenarios. New Mutants makes little sense as the starting point for any Fox/Disney Marvel cooperation, and 10 months is too long to just add a minor post credits tease or something.

Moving New Mutants that much isn’t a vote of confidence. I wonder if they got bad screening feedback and need to do reshoots.

I wonder if the genre shift to horror is just straight-up not playing well at all.

Wouldn’t they move it to Jan 2019 if it was completely hopeless? Which there’s still time to do if re-shoots (assuming there are any, but it kinda seems like there will be) don’t go well, of course.

If it’s a horror movie then why not October?

And the horror-themed New Mutants will undergo a round of additional photography this summer that will insert a new character into the thriller that is dated for Feb. 22, 2019.

Damn! Pushed back again. The new release date is August 2nd 2019.

Also pushing the X-Men movie back to 2019, too.

Wow, that’s nuts. I wonder if this is Disney telling FOX to put all things Marvel on hold until the acquisition is done and they can review everything?

Wow. It must be absolutely horrific.