The newest sex scandal on the horizon: NFL Cheerleaders

Lots of outrage by guys in this thread (including me) about women being sexualized on the football field. OTOH (at the other extreme) here’s another example of what can happen when actual guys get to decide what women should wear in public:

I think it is pretty much universal, but I suspect if you did a poll of both cheerleaders and players, it wouldn’t be at all popular among either group.

0_29oHXkUZE16REypj_

It’s definitely not about popularity—it’s about reducing liability for the organization. In addition to the CYA effect, it’s a good policy: the players, particularly the star players, are in positions of tremendous power. I don’t think the power dynamics are that different than in the military, for example, where there are also rigid fraternization rules (and for good reason).

I don’t recall there being a flap over Lane Bryant. Was that a thing that happened or just a hypothetical?

NBC and ABC definitely rejected Lane Bryant’s ad, I think it was early in the I’m no Angel campaign. I thought it was around football season, but I could be wrong on the when since i barely notice sports. The networks claimed something about indecency, although I am not sure they ever gave specifics. Since both those networks run Victoria Secret, GoDaddy and Carl’s Jr…a lot questioned that indecency claim.

As you probably should.

Sadly I expect that they, not incorrectly perhaps, anticipated greater complaints from non societally conventionally attractive women in revealing outfits than from VS models in lingerie.

Ah ok, it wasn’t a reaction to an ad that aired, but the ad was never approved. Got it. Yeah, some of the ads they do show are repulsive (from GoDaddy in particular over the years). But it isn’t acceptible to show women as sexy that aren’t, as Bridget Jones put it, American stick insects.

heh, yeah. I don’t think the internet burned down or the pitchforks came out when they showed the ad there. It was just strange to hear from networks that play, well those three brands claim some sort of standard for decency. no additional skin was showing or anything.

I think we get a bad rap as a bunch of prudes in America, but those assholes who push that agenda… they show up in stuff like this.

I assume this is the banned Lane Bryant ad?

If so…seems boring and tame.

Go daddy ad for comparison.

That one made me smile a little. I can’t help but think it’s actually poking fun at hyper sexualisation…

REPORTED

Whenever I read something involving “passports being taken away,” I just involuntarily shudder.

Anything that even has a whiff of Middle Eastern slavery (like in Dubai and similar countries where “guest workers” have their passports taken when they arrive and have no way to leave the country) needs to be stomped out with a quickness.

Like seriously, there needs to be some fundamental human right where people get a lot of prison time for doing anything remotely like that (removing freedom to travel, etc.).

Hmm, yeah I’m ok with that plan. Say a month in prison for every day you took a passport away?

Tons and tons of hotels overseas seize your passport when you check in. I’m not sure if it’s a law or just policy, but if you refuse you can’t stay there. This is more common in countries where there are border disputes or problems and they want to control interstate travel.

Not defending it, I always thought it was weird. Not sure where this is, or if that’s the policy of the country.

Not sure where you travel, but nowhere (I’ve been) in Europe, China, or Russia does this.

They do it in Spain, or at the very least they ask for a copy. It’s a legal requirement because the government wants to be able to keep tabs on who is coming in and out as a tourist, supposedly in the interests of maintaining quality.

In reality, imho, it’s so they have the option of tracking any entrant. Incase said entrant turns out to be even slightly dodgy, they can build a trail of where they have been.

I know for a fact the big hotels in Kenya ask you to give in your passport. I showed up without mine and they kicked up a fuss, had to ring the national manager, who just so happened to be a friend of my brother, to sort it out, and it was entertaining having him onside.

Yeah I’ve had it happen in Nepal and Morocco, this was several years ago though. It sketched me out.

I didn’t give my passport, but the hotels I stayed at in India took copies, and I needed my passport to do currency exchanges.

Every hotel I stayed at in Russia (circa 2008) held on to my passport - along with everyone else’s in the tour group. That said it’s the only country I’ve been to (of 25) that’s done that… definitely felt weird.

Per the above posters it’s quite common to have copies taken however - I’d say half of all places I’ve been have done that.

I don’t think that was the one. There was way more skin. Like I think some of the shoot was done with the girls naked but they didn’t show anything in the actual ad.