The next Hugo winner is...

A Memory Called Empire won.

Wow, all the nominees are women?

They are? You looked them up? Or you can tell just from their names? If so, that’s impressive.

Yep45

Neil Gaiman’s speech for Good Omens made me cry.

Thank you for giving Terry Pratchett his Hugo Award.

NK Jemisin got another Hugo. She prerecorded her acceptance speech cuz she didn’t want to travel or something. Oh, the other day she also said all her works have TV/film productions but she’s not allowed to talk about it.

A lot of writers not very happy with GRRM as host.

Reading A Memory Called Empire now. I’m digging it. Getting some Ann Leckie vibes in the intrigue.

🤗

Best Dramatic Presentation, Short Form

• The Good Place : “The Answer”, written by Daniel Schofield, directed by Valeria Migliassi Collins (Fremulon/3 Arts Entertainment/Universal Television)

The Hugos are always a nice way to find new writers. Out of the novel crop, based on looking at blurbs and reviews, I think I’ll pick up Thousand Doors of January and A Memory Called Empire, borrow Gideon the Ninth from the library (not sure what to make of that one), and skip the rest (I tried reading The Light Brigade last year from the library and bounced right off it).

Gideon the 9th is amazing! The sequel arrives in two days, and I cannot wait! Light Brigade was not what I expected, but rather good as eell. But really… read Gideon!
Memory was really good as well, but the sequels are a bit hard to read for me.

I knew a little about the situation last year, and with the help of some female sounding names made a guess. Except for Seanan McGuire whom I was already familiar with.

Noted. It’s on the library list, I wasn’t going to pass on it, but the blurb is a bit odd.

On a related note, many of the novellas are of interest, but virtually all of them are priced completely unreasonably and, as an added bonus, not available (at least not digitally) from my library system. The exception is the Seanan McGuire series, which looks very interesting and which I’ll be snagging as soon as I’m done with my unrelated Joe Abercrombie binge.

See? I couldn’t guess it right since I didn’t know of the unspoken rule that only women could be candidate this year ;)

They had to change the rules to defy my challenge.

Sounds like a great time!

Thanks to the ebook bargain thread, I already own the winner of the best Novella ( This Is How You Lose the Time War , by Amal El-Mohtar and Max Gladstone). And the winner of the best Short Story is available on Tor’s website here:

As the Last I May Know”, by S.L. Huang

I’ll try to get to that one soon.

Apparently George R R Martin pissed a lot of people off by going on and on and on for over two hours in a ceremony that was only 3.5 hours total, for a lot of that time talking about John Campbell. Anyway, other than George’s part, everyone agrees it was a good ceremony and some say we’re living in a golden age of science fiction now because it’s more popular than ever, and it’s more diverse than ever.

Just started Heroes and am quite enjoying it.

I went through a few years where I wasn’t reading much sci fi or fantasy. When I came back the whole genre had absolutely exploded with new variety. I’ve been frantically trying (and failing) to catch up ever since. It’s great!

I have been disappointed with recent sci-fi stuff like Three Body Problem or Children of Time which everyone seems to like but I find boring as hell. Fantasy is in a much better state, however.

That is because you are some kind of soulless robot parasite or something

Although yes 3BP is very much ultra-hard Campbellian sci fi and can see folks completely turned off by it

The Ten Thousand Doors of January is like a love letter to reading, language and books. It’s an excellent read, though the narrative style takes a bit to get used to early on (but pays off later).