The next PlayStation is going to be so baller

Title The next PlayStation is going to be so baller
Author Nick Diamon
Posted in News
When April 16, 2019

The next PlayStation console will feature premium specs, and will probably have a premium price..

Read the full article

Having no idea what baller means, I decided to look it up at UrbanDictionary and share the meaning with the rest of us.

Baller

A thug that has “made it” to the big time. Originally refered ball players that made it out of the streets to make millions as a pro ball player, but now is used to describe any thug that is living large.

Pain is a part of the game when you’re a baller.

by thug4life September 28, 2002

Nah, it’s obviously a reference to Mark Cerny’s origin story, creating the classic Marble Madness.

Can we please just let consoles die already? I’m hoping this is the last generation. At this point there isn’t a single thing they do better than PCs and a ton of stuff they do worse.

Every advantage they historically had is gone. A decent gaming PC is down from $2500 to $800. PCs can easily connect to any TV now without adapters. Any controller can easily be connected and configured. Consoles are no longer “just switch on and play”.

Consoles do a ton of stuff worse. They don’t have general PC functionalities. You can’t easily listen to podcasts or youtube clips in the background. No mouse option. Locked into limited streaming options. WAY more time waiting for mandatory updates to download than PCs. Extra charge for online. Majority of games are $60 with no sales until they officially become greatest hits for $20-$30 compared to pc games that are half off within 3-6 months or 75-90% off if you want to wait a little longer.

At this point the only function of consoles is locking consumers out of choices with forced exclusives. Can we finally admit they’re shambling relics of a past age and it’s time to for them to fade away?

I don’t want to spend $800 on a TV gaming device.

PCs are more than an $800 Steam Link

Not on my TV.

Saying you don’t want to spend $800 on a PC because it’s just a “TV gaming device” is like saying you don’t own a car because you don’t want to spend $20,000 on a portable music player.

Going to go ahead and make a bold prediction: name of new console, Playstation 5. You heard it here first, folks.

$800 is still four times the cost of an entry level console and not what I would call a mass market option, and for all the advances that we’ve had in 10 foot UI on PC it’s still not as good as consoles.

Kind of question if you’ve been in the console market lately with this statement. It holds true for Nintendo, but they’re the exception.

Bare bones console is $250 right now. It’s realistically closer to $350 if you’re getting basic stuff like a 2nd controller.

And that’s nearly 4 years after release. They’re $400-$600 at release, more with any basic accessories. Then $60/year for online functionality.

For game prices, I’m going on what I see in retail stores and the official online store.

You’re going to have a PC in your home anyway. The small step up to make it an entry gaming rig is not only the same cost or cheaper, but MUCH cheaper in the long run. Then there’s a ton of extra functionality, wider functionality, and mods on top of all that.

What advantage is left for consoles?

I’m not a console guy anymore, we just have a Wii and a 360, but it’s not easy for me to get my computer onto my tv. I can’t get my computer close enough to directly connect it to it, steam link didn’t work great for me. As of right now, if I want to game on my TV a console is still the best option.

The advantage is still that it’s a $200 box that is easy to setup and get working in the living room.

I don’t think it’s fair to tack on the cost of accessories for a console and compare that to a base gaming PC without peripherals, or to look at launch prices and MSRP when you’re discussing current state and sales.

Also, no, not everyone is going to have a desktop PC in their home these days. Plenty of people get by with just a laptop or shudders a mobile device.

I say all this as someone with a fairly decent gaming PC.

I know quite a few families that don’t. They use their iPads and phones for all that PC junk.

Consoles are dumb.

I’ve also owned a PS4 (as a Christmas gift) for a year and a half now. If there are game prices even close to Steam and Humble bundle sales, I haven’t seen them.

Rather than calling a PC an $800 TV game device, I think it’s more accurate to call the PS4 a $300 Bloodborne box.

At least that game was released in the last 5 years. I’m going to spend $400 on an Xbox One X or an Xbox Two just to play Ninja Gaiden II.

I’ll also play Ninja Gaiden Black so that’s only $200 per game.

Being aggressively ignorant is a unique position to take!

This is the internet. For many of us, this is America. I’d be more surprised if there wasn’t his aggressively ignorant take here.

In fact, this forum has a lot of bad takes. And yesterday was quite a day for a lot of bad takes 'round here. And yet, his bad take stood out so much that I actually groaned and considered replying about how bad a take it was and then decided it wasn’t worth it.

Today… I guess I have more time. :D

8k and ray tracing huh?