The next version of Artifact won't have the most common part of collectible card games

Title The next version of Artifact won't have the most common part of collectible card games
Author Nick Diamon
Posted in News
When March 30, 2020

Valve is still working on Artifact. In the latest blog post, Valve revealed that their big plans to revitalize the virtual card game include a feature that bucks the trend of most other collectible card games..

Read the full article

I thought this was leading to, “It won’t have any cards at all”. LOL

I thought something similar to be honest.

How will they buy their way into winning decks? How will they use the power of their wallet to overwhelm their opponents and fill their collections?

Steam Community Market.

You’ll be able to buy hats that you can equip on your cards to change the artwork!

I would be amazed if that were not the case. It might be already.

I suppose I see this as a good thing. Maybe. I actually rather liked the gameplay of Artifact. My main complaint was the same I have with Hearthstone or any other online card game: I get too stressed out in online play. I’d honestly rather just play against an AI, if a competent AI can be coded, which admittedly is a tall order. Anyway, I was also interested in this sentence in the press release:

We’ve also added a new draft mode, Hero Draft, that gives you a taste of constructing decks without all the pressure.

Anyone know what that’s about?

Then there’s this:

The biggest change is zooming out to allow players access to all three lanes at once. The majority of effects still work on individual lanes so they still maintain their identity, but it’s less likely that a player will get shut out in the same way they used to.

This might speed up gameplay. It might be less frustrating. Or might make things yet more frantic! But I look forward to trying it.