The NFL 2016 Season

What an amazing game. Definitely one of the best I’ve seen.

There are multiple fouls on the play…

Yes. Yes there are.

I was surprised at how weak Denver’s defense looked down the stretch. They’d completely stifled the KC offense all game, then give up three straight scoring drives: the TD + 2 pt conversion then two field goals. Maybe getting tired in the mile-high air really is a thing.

The announcers are painful. “There will be holding probably called on the play.” Meanwhile the oline is doing MMA takedowns on the dline.

That’s got to be the best play call for those lineman ever. “Yes, you can hold them. Yes, you can throw them to the ground.”

There’s a couple nice looking sleeper holds in that play, but my favourite is Ravens #46 who pulls the Bengals’ Defensive Tackle to the ground and then just sort of aggressively cuddles him for 15 seconds.

That’s a hilarious play, thanks for linking that @Mr_Bismarck.

What gets me, though, is that Cincinnati theoretically had the chance to tie/win the game on that play (i.e., by causing the punter to fumble and by recovering the ball in the end zone). Granted, the punter wasn’t gonna let that happen - he’d just step out of the end zone, as he did. But nobody on the Bengals even halfheatedly tried to make a play there. Once the Ravens started hugging, it’s like all the Cincy players said “ah, screw it, we’re not going to win, let’s just dance for a while until the clock runs out.”

I’d have thought at least one player on the Bengals would be actually trying and/or would get frustrated or ticked at the blatant holds by the Ravens. But no, they’re all just standing around.

I mean, do you think you’d see Patriots players doing that? No, Belicheck would have them out on the street the day after. I guess they’re not terribly worried about ol’ Marvin Lewis.

It was revealed in the paper here in Cincy that, much like the announcing crew, the Bengals thought that all those obvious and aggressive holds (and possibly a personal foul or two) would result in the ball being turned over, the safety not counted, and/or the Bengals being granted one final play from scrimmage at what would have been (given all the penalties) the Ravens 1-yard line. Not so, as Harbaugh apparently knows the rules better than Lewis and knew the safety would count, and thus the game would end (points on the board trump penalties on the field).

Marvin Lewis has done a great job at instilling a winning attitude in the Bengals locker room over the past decade. They are certainly nothing like the Bengals of the 90’s and very early 2000’s. That said, he’s also a terrible clock manager and apparently far too reliant on his coordinators for success, as evidenced by Hue Jackson’s departure and it’s effect on the Bengals offense this season. Ken Zampese is a great QB coach, but he’s about as creative as a goal line pylon when it comes to being an offensive coordinator.

The irony of the situation is that had Hue Jackson stuck around, and the Bengals had a season like they’re having now, it’s highly likely Marvin would get the axe and Hue would have taken over. Of course, had Hue Jackson stuck around, it’s also highly likely the Bengals would be 7-4 right now instead of 3-7-1, and Marvin would have stayed right where he was.

What we could really hope for is that a certain northern team could continue to tank and then fire their coach. Then Mike Zimmer can take his rightful place on the Bengals’ sideline.

I would be down with that. Zim was a great coordinator, and he has the same team building skills that Lewis has, so you get the best of both worlds. Problem is, the Vikings were 5-0 before their bye week, they’re 1-5 after it. 3 of those 5 losses have been by a touchdown or less. Their problem isn’t coaching, it’s that they are 1 or 2 standout players short on both offense and defense. An upgrade at WR, CB and or LB, and those 7 points swing back in their favor and suddenly they’re 9-2 or 8-3 at worst. Their team is pretty much a draft/free agent signing away from being very competitive, and I would think management understands that, meaning Zim’s job is safe for now.

Who are we kidding though, no way the Bengals cut Marvin loose. It’s kind of ironic, as had the Bengals reached the playoffs and lost in their first game yet again (for the 7th time in 8 years), the calls for Marvin’s head would have been difficult for management to ignore, but by going 5-10-1 on the season management will write it off as a season lost to injuries and close games and Marvin gets to keep the mediocrity going another year.

The Vikings problems begin and end with oh I dunno, losing their QB a week before the season started and FOUR offensive tackles. And the center is currently out too.

The fact that the offense is doing anything at all right now is a testament to Bradford, the top three WRs, and stud-again-now-that-hes-finally-healthy TE Kyle Rudolph. Season average yards per carry on the ground is under 3. That’s completely untenable.

Another super-satisfying game to watch as a Kansas City fan today. And my other team, Seattle is far enough ahead and playing well right now. So much so that I might call it a night for football this evening.

Very exciting showdowns coming in the next 3 weeks.

Well shit. Looks like Earl Thomas is out for the season with a broken leg. And, judging by his Twitter account, contemplating retirement.

I did not pick up on this while watching the opening drive but apparently Cam Newton was benched for one play for failing to wear a tie?! Dress codes are serious business.

Really? It was because he didn’t wear a tie???

The Browns didn’t lose!!!

… sorry, I haven’t been able to say that yet, this season. Sometimes, bye weeks are wonderful things.

WTF Detroit? 2 game lead in the division, playing good winning football in December. You are not trying to build up my hopes only to crush them in epic fashion are you. Because you’ve pulled that bullshit before and its not very funny!

They have a tough road ahead, though. They should beat the Bears, but then the Cowboys and the Giants are both tough, and Green Bay is never easy, even this year.

I can easily see them going 1-3 with that stretch. Or 3-1. I just don’t see them beating the Cowboys, given how that team has been playing.

But 10-6 should win the division, I think. And they are in striking distance of both a first-round bye, and home field in the next game. Who-da thunk it?

Boils down to those division games. If they beat both the Bears and Packers, then it’s Detroit’s division. And both those games are at home. Of course, it would be even better if they won on the road as well, but it’s not a requirement to get into the postseason.

After all those really close games, I figured eventually the Lions would revert to form and drop a bunch in a row. So far they’ve avoided those expectations. Hope they can keep it up!

The Seattle-GB game this week looms large as well, as a 'Hawks loss to GB could put the Lions in the 2 seed.

Thomas’ injury makes Green Bay’s offensive strategy obvious: Target his replacement, Steven Terrell. That will require giving Rodgers time to throw. Even though he had success against Houston, he was under pressure much of the time. It will be more difficult against the Seahawks.