THE NFL 2017 Season

New thread! Of course the big question is… where will Tony Romo go and will the Cowboys make the Super Bowl. Everything else is just… colored bubbles.

Already some movement going on and it definitely seems like quite a few teams will look very different this coming season. Did the Bengals really just let half of their decent O-line disappear? Are the Browns going to be any good? Will Romo go to Jacksonville? (Yeah I heard that rumor.) Are the Redskins and 49ers imploding? Will the Patriots get even better? Will Jake Cutler molt into a pumpkin and finally go away? Is Vince Young going to make it in the CFL?

— Alan

Wherever he goes, he’s probably going to be overpaid for the four games he’ll play before getting injured. You may say I’m being hard on Tony Romo, but in my defense, if I said it to his face, it would probably break his arm or something.

As an AFC North follower, yes and no, in that order.

I have two horses in the game. I’m a lifelong Redskins fan, who is just plain sad about the team currently. I’m also a lifelong NC person and live in Charlotte, making me a Panthers fan by default.

Just want to say that I’m excited about the news today that Julius Peppers is returning to the Panthers. That’s going to be a very nasty combo for opponents (Peppers and Kuechly.)

Up to date Free Agent movement listings and grades, look here:

— Alan

They follow it up by giving Kony Ealy to the Pats in exchange for only moving up 8 slots in the draft.
Boneheaded

I wonder how much Peppers has left in the tank. He was a total non-factor against the Falcons. Then again so was Matthews.

The Panthers have enough depth at DE that he’ll probably be a role player and not the man like he was before.

The Ealy trade was because he likely would have been cut , even if they traded him for 20 cents on the dollar.

Romo goes to Denver or Houston or the booth. I’d say Houston at this point, if I was betting on it.

So this guy thinks the Fins’ linebackers were not a necessary upgrade? Then he is a moron and not worth reading…

I hate getting too excited about the Lions, especially this time of year but I have to say that their working of the Free Agent market this season is encouraging. They went out and signed two O linemen considered the best available in by many. My biggest offseason bitch about the Lions is that they seem to grab the glory position players and ignore the trenches. It looks like that’s not the story any longer. They have also picked up several depth they players as well but the O Line is clearly the big story here.
I am liking what Quinn is cooking here in Detroit. Its the first time in ages that I feel that we actually have a competent GM making the moves.

That’s an excellent question. His tackles last year were about half their normal numbers. I agree with @Alstein, he’s going to be fill in for special situations. But he adds depth and flexibility. And per what Alstein said, I hope to god they got a good deal on him.

Thank you for this. It’s nice to laugh out loud to start your day.

This isn’t helping any of my guilt over enjoying the NFL despite knowing that it’s basically evil.

On September 24, 2010, Paul Sparling (Bengals Head Trainer) e-mailed Dr. Jill Eippert (Bengals doctor): “We, for example rarely dispense more than 12 – 20 Vicodine 5/500 a game, whereas I know others that will routinely dispense 90+ each game.”

Jesus. That’s a lot of drugs, and it’s only some background info about the larger Toradol thrust of the article.

Holy shit. Is that per player or team?!?!?!

That’s per team.

Very interesting read, so was the in-linked article on the T-Train by a player. Crazy shit.

Raiders are going to Vegas.

[quote]
March 27, 2017
For Immediate Release

Raiders Receive NFL Approval for Las Vegas Relocation

ALAMEDA, Calif. – The Oakland Raiders have received conditional approval from the National Football League to relocate the franchise to Las Vegas, Nevada.

"My father always said, ‘the greatness of the Raiders is in its future,’ and the opportunity to build a world-class stadium in the entertainment capital of the world is a significant step toward achieving that greatness. I would like to thank Commissioner Goodell, the National Football League and my 31 partners. I would also like to thank Governor Brian Sandoval and the Nevada Legislature for their commitment. Finally, I would like to thank Sheldon Adelson for his vision and leadership, without which this project never would have become a reality.

“The Raiders were born in Oakland and Oakland will always be part of our DNA. We know that some fans will be disappointed and even angry, but we hope that they do not direct that frustration to the players, coaches and staff. We plan to play at the Coliseum in 2017 and 2018, and hope to stay there as the Oakland Raiders until the new stadium opens. We would love nothing more than to bring a championship back to the Bay Area.”

• Mark Davis[/quote]

We knew this was coming, it’s been rumored forever. Still, it’s a topsy turvy NFL this year.

So we got our two first major league franchises in less than a year. 15 years ago, I figured NHL or NBA would eventually be the first, but guessed NFL would be the least likely to arrive, considering how hostile Tagliabue was to Las Vegas.

Romo retiring and going into broadcasting. For most Cowboys fans it’s probably the best of both worlds; you don’t get to have the oddness of watching Romo play for someone else, the team saves some money by delaying his release, and there is some separation/closure. It’s unfortunate it happened so relatively fast, but it was bound to happen–his injuries were too much of a liability, and the investment in Dak immediately paid off for the most part (albeit maybe way too soon). Will I miss Tony? Of course, but I also think the future is pretty bright. Now we have to shore up the defense quite a bit.

Oh, and Amazon outbid Twitter for Thursday Night Football by paying five times as much as what Twitter forked out last year. So everyone who is on Prime will get 10 Thursday night games this year.

— Alan