THE NFL 2017 Season

Even the fans want him to retire. They remember Dan Morgan.

He seemed so single minded on that play. That’s when you get blown up, when you’re not aware of everything around you. Thursday didn’t have anything to do with it.

God, so true. Like many other teams we have a history of linebackers that take a beating and limp home.

Yeah, I’m sure he loves the game, but to suffer that many concussions means he really isn’t meant to play it. Some players retire and probably have CTE damage, but it doesn’t seem to affect them much, and other players have severe issues with it. He shouldn’t risk it.

Really, most players should play 5-6 years and get out. Their bodies take a beating. Dan Deirdorf has walked with two canes for years.

Throw in the NCAA saying they don’t care about academic fraud at all today, there’s like a scandal with every sport I follow now that’s a direct impact on who I follow.

This is the angriest I’ve ever been at sports, and if I hadn’t cancelled cable already I probably would have today. I don’t want to feed the ESPN machine ever again.

I assume we are talking about UNC at his point?

What a joke the NCAA has become.

All sports organizations are corrupt. Usually the corruption is proportional to their income. So naturally NCAA is up there amongst the national leaders, though they can’t compare to the world champions of corruption like FIFA and of course the IOC. Only FIDE is an exception to this rule, being the most corrupt of all despite modest revenues.

Looks like Aaron Rodgers has a broken collarbone and will likely miss the rest of the season.

There’s a possibility he could return at the tail-end of the season, but it depends on how bad it is. Also, do the Packers want to rush him back? That’s not the kind of injury you want to rush.

Said no NFL team ever.

I was watching the Patriots-Jets game and I just don’t understand the booth review of that Jets touchdown. So it went from being 2nd down and the guy getting a touchdown, to the booth reviewing it, and not only reversing the touchdown, but saying that it was a fumble, and therefore it was New England ball? What? I just didn’t get it. And suddenly they were playing the other way, and the CBS commentators were confused too, and then they had moved on and were talking about other stuff. I just… I can’t fathom how that can be a fumble, even if it wasn’t a touchdown somehow.

I’m not saying I agree with the call, but here’s what they ruled:

Pats player stripped possession of the Jets player as the receiver was both going to the ground and going out of bounds. They ruled that it was a fumble, going out of bounds, in the end zone. If the offense does that, it’s an automatic touchback and turnover to the defense.

I’m guessing the Jets owner made a call into the league office to ensure that the fix was in.

So, it was right in front of the goal line (because he’d have to have possession to fumble it and possession in the end zone would be a touchdown)? I think that’d be the third week in a row there was a game with a fumble at the goal line that become a touchback.

There was a turnover a bit ago in the KC-Pitt game that sure looked like a touchdown. I thought all turnovers were automatically reviewed (like scoring plays) but I don’t think it was.

Here’s the image that makes it a bit clearer that the ball was loose

Still a weird call.

Yeah, I just saw the replay. Touchback is the right call, imo. He lost possession right before he hit the pylon. Even if he grabbed it back, you then have to establish possession, which he couldn’t before going out of bounds.

I disagree. He lost possession, as shown in that photo, but he regained possession and control BEFORE he hit the pylon. The TD call should have stood.

I agree. But at least now I understand the call. As it was aired, CBS did not do a good job in educating the viewer on what exactly happened. Thanks @triggercut for clarifying the call for me.

Control yes, but you can’t establish possession without any part of your body touching the ground (this is actually part of the definition of possession–having a body part on the ground in the field of play). When he does make contact with the ground, he is out of bounds. Ergo, not possession.

I think his helmet hit the endzone in bounds, before his body landed out of bounds. Wouldn’t that establish possession?