THE NFL 2017 Season

I was actually wondering the same thing earlier this morning. I don’t know the answer. It has to be two feet or any other part of the body other than the hands, but not sure if the helmet counts as “part of the body”.

This is the second week in a row where the touchback rule took effect. Last week against the Seahawks the Rams got to the end zone but the ball carrier lost the ball as he was moving to the pylon.

It’s not exactly a new thing but it happens rarely.

Given the last two incidents I wonder if it will change. It seems so unfair for a team to work to get to that position and then lose the ball. That the Patriots were one of the beneficiaries does not surprise me. But I suppose you can argue the other way too: players must hang on to the damn ball.

This. Working as intended, imo

Yes but I hate the rule when the ball comes loose but he never actually loses the ball. Plus in this case it looks like he has control when he hits the pylon which is before he goes out of bounds. Rules or not it’s a screw job.

As noted above, he has control, but has to re-establish possession. It’s ASJ’s own fault for losing the ball. No screw job whatsoever. I hate the Patriots, but the defenders made a great play here, just like Earl Thomas did the week before.

Put me in the “Jets were robbed” camp.

Put me in the ‘I don’t care, but am for whatever side is against the patriots’ camp.

I kid, this is dumb.

Just watching a clip at ESPN and there’s a promo for Eagles-Redskins next week. They have the huddle mic’d up and some guy on the Eagles yells, “make the most out of every opportunity you get, man!”

I wasn’t expecting the huddle to be so wholesome and spiritually uplifting.

Heh. Yeah. You need to secretly mic 'em to hear what they really say.

If there are any math nerds out there, what are the odds on a team having two ties in the first six weeks of fantasy football?

I’ve played in the same league for 10 years or so now. Nearly consistently, there is at least one tie game each season, within the league.

Two, with one of the parties being the same team? I would think those are tough odds, but not impossible.

Depends on the scoring system. Do you use fractional points? Is it purely integers? PPR or not?

If we had a rough approximation of the range of scores we could probably calculate it. But if you are using decimals the percentage is going to be orders of magnitude less likely per decimal place. If you use 2, then the odds of a single tie become in the range of 10^-8 or less. If you use integer scoring it is probably in the 10^-2 range. Which, over a season, becomes fairly likely. Purely guessing, and can’t really demonstrate the math without charting it. But on a gut feel this seems about right.

50/50

Either it happens or it doesn’t.

IMG_0581

It’s an integer based scoring system in a standard league that uses all 17 weeks. The scoring range seems to be between 60 and 110 for the league. This is actually the second team in our league to have two ties in the last three years so Strummer’s math may be correct ;) I was one of the teams and I’ve had three tie games in that timeframe so I may be cursed.

Ah makes sense. I’ve played in leagues mostly that had decimal places, which meant that ties were statistically almost impossible.

If there are any math nerds out there, what are the odds that my two fantasy teams in two unrelated leagues both win in Week 1, and look unbeatable in doing so, and then immediately turn into winless piles of shit.

Seriously, each of my teams won Week 1. Now they are 1-5 and 2-4. The other victory came by just a couple of points. And neither team has faced significant injuries. Go figure.

I want to chat about this.

I don’t know McCarthy’s feelings about the whole anthem protest situation, but I can assume he is against, based on some of the stuff I have read.

But this reporter’s question comes off as rude, and I would want my coach to advocate for his players as well. Hundley just stepped into a game planned around Aaron Rodgers, without much practice time, of course the coach is going to defend his guy. It is the right thing to do. Hundley gets at least 2 weeks here before you could start looking for other options before it looks really bad.

Personally, I would sign Kaep right now. He is a WI native, he DESTROYED us at home at Lambeau, and is a far sight better than Hundley’s backup.

But, asking this question right away is basically saying “Hundley sucks, you gonna replace him?” (Which is probably true, but he deserves to at least start 1 game before we can criticize fully)

Anyway, I hope either Hundley is good, or we sign Kaepernick quickly.

Would the question be rude if it wasn’t for the Kapernick kneeling controversy? After all we are talking about an accomplished starter who got his team to the superbowl and is currently available. Would considering him ( which is exactly what the reporter asked ) be an option when faced with having to go with a starter who has thrown 44 passes in his entire NFL career? I dont really feel that McCarthy defending the position that he wants to go with the guys he has developed over the past three years was an issue, I just think that the reporters question is a legitimate one and not rude by nature. A simple answer of “No we didnt consider Kapernick because we are confident in our players and our development of them” would have sufficed.

Yeah, for sure though. You would not want your boss to publicly agree to find a replacement after your first day on the job.

This is something a lot of coaches do. Think about Rex Ryan and Mark Sanchez. It didn’t work out, but if you ask former players they loved him as a coach for his loyalty.

This is a huge deal for players, and it is really easy to lose the locker room if you don’t exude confidence in your players publicly.

Another weekend like this game, and it might be the time to start questioning the decision making.