THE NFL 2017 Season

Which team did he play for? And why was he in prison?

There are very few news stories that make me say “wow” when I fire up Google News in the morning.

New England Patriot, convicted murderer.

-Wow.

He was a TE for New England and played opposite Gronk, giving Brady two big TE targets.

He also executed an acquaintance in the head with a pistol.

I think the timing of his suicide is very curious. He was just found innocent on his double murder trial. Now you might think that does not matter considering he is serving a life sentence for another murder…However, that murder conviction was being appealed and the prosecution’s motive for that murder was that he wanted to silence the guy who could have pinned the double murder he was just cleared on, on him. Considering he now has the attorney (different counsel from his first murder case) who got Casey Anthony off when she very clearly murdered her kid and also got him off on his double murder, it seems to me like things were looking up for him.

That said, now that he is dead and his original conviction was under appeal when he died, his conviction will be vacated. So legally he’s dead but also not a convicted murderer at this point. Maybe that has some financial implications for his family?

There is also the angle that maybe someone killed him in prison. No suicide note.

Strange shit.

Yes, very strange indeed. And so young!, the newest member of the infamous 27 club.

Post of the Year contender.

Did NE get out of the contract they’d given him? Was there some convicted felon clause?

If not, they probably are now.

The league never suspended him which makes this even trickier if there was no morality clause.

I don’t remember the details, but there was talk about Hernandez’s arrest screwing over the Patriots. His salary still counted against the cap or something.

Yeah, because they released him, it accelerated how the signing bonus would count against the cap instead of it being spread out over the 5 years. No clue on how much money wound up going to him and his family (there is a boilerplate “conduct unbecoming” clause), but that was resolved some time ago. IANAL, but as I understand it the abatement ab initio bit (vacating a conviction on death) only applies during an active appeal and likely wouldn’t trigger any payout from the contract he signed.

Maybe Belichick sent a hit squad into the prison to quash Hernandez chance of appeal.

News today was that there were three suicide notes so, if that’s true, a lot less fishy.

Or more suspicious. At first there were no suicide notes left and now there are three? Im telling you, they need to look at Goodell. He’s always going after the Patriots!

I assume you mean Goodell. As far as I know, Dwight Gooden doesn’t have it in for the Patriots, but you never know.

LOL I did mean Goodell. In not sure why I typed Gooden. I think Roger made me do it!

Well, looks like I’m free to continue ignoring football for the next 5 years with absolutely no fear of missing anything.

Question, was the Bears trading 4 picks to move up one slot:

• Worst draft trade this year
  • Worst draft trade since RG III
  • We’re talking Ryan Leaf trade up bad
  • Herschel Walker level bad
  • Wads of cash in Packers duffel bags found in GM Ryan Pace’s car

0 voters

Lol Bears. you’re the new Browns and Washington.

I don’t know if this makes it better or worse but they’re at least 5 years, 10 quarterbacks, and 2 front offices away from that. And the Browns are still Brownsing along, to boot.

Score one for John Lynch. He made the Bears think he was going to trade the spot to someone else and Trubisky would be gone, so the Bears gave up a LOT to move up ONE spot.

And Trubisky is anything but a sure bet. He’s probably one of the riskier QB picks since, say, Jared Goff!