So the list of candidates the Bengals are considering for their new head coach is out…and it’s just as unimpressive as you’d imagine it would be.
- Hue Jackson - yeah, no.
- Vance Joseph - fired for being unable to do anything with a decent roster in Denver
- Bill Lazor - Current Offensive Coordinator…not exactly a ringing endorsement
- Darrin Simmons - Current Special Teams Coach…see above, only even less so
- Zac Taylor - Rams QB Coach. That would be a leap.
There are two quality names being tossed out as candidates:
- Josh McDaniels - Current Patriots OC. I would imagine sexier places than Cincinnati are calling McDaniels…like Denver perhaps?
- Eric Bieniemy - Current Chiefs OC and a former Bengal himself. This one makes the most sense, as Bieniemy is probably ready to take the next step, he’s an offense-minded coach (something the Bengals need) and he has history with the franchise.
Of course, knowing the Bengals, they will wait too long and then make a lowball offer, losing a good candidate to another team, after which they will settle for an also-ran, and produce 3 or 4 sub .500 seasons until the next coaching search begins.