The NFL 2018 Season

Yeah he was out around half of last season with a serious Achilles tear. From what I read in the Seattle Times, the Seahawks wanted Sherman to take a pay cut from his $11 million to make room in the cap, and because of the risk of further injury. Sherman didn’t agree to a pay cut so the hawks released him.

Yup, he signed for an incentive-laden 13 mil/year. So if he can play and plays well, he will make more money than he would have, but the 49ers get some amount of protection if he can’t. In addition to the Achilles rupture, he had bone spurs removed on the other foot. I wasn’t sure anyone would sign him yet, since he isn’t even running.

Interesting. And he stays in the West so still sees all his old rivals twice a season, but now one of them is his old team.

San Fran isn’t so surprising. He’s from LA, and he went to school at Stanford. He’s always been a West Coast guy, and he’s familiar with the Bay Area.

It still hurts, though. Those Hawks/Niners games are going to be awkward. Hell, Niners fans are conflicted as hell. Sherman was public enemy #1 to them for years after his epic post-NFC Championship Game rant.

But no way he signs with the Niners if Harbaugh was still coaching. He and Harbaugh have a blood feud, which is ironic considering that’s usually not the case with guys and their college coaches.

I’m pretty sure Niners fans will get over it in a hurry, lol

This is like an unstoppable force (kind of goofy 49ers front office overpaying an injured guy, which usually never works) versus an immovable object (Richard Sherman’s determination). Who will win?

EDIT: I’m reading now the contract was actually pretty bad for him, so maybe no one will win!

I read this somewhere, but I didn’t think he was leaving football.

It’s in jest. Wilson isn’t leaving for baseball.

The Seahawks are basically drawing upon the lesson of the Patriots: You need the QB. Everything else is essentially replaceable. If you have the QB, you can survive. #1 defense year after year is nice, but you can still win the Super Bowl with a Top 10 defense. The cost of maintaining a #1 defense for so many years was simply too high.

They say in football that it’s better to release a player a year too early than a year too late.

Now if only the Seahawks could figure out how to put together an o-line…

They canned Cable. Looks like they’re trying to do that.

Yeah, read some interesting things about Solari at the combine, the way he took charge on the field and was coaching players up.

Looks like a good year for interior o-line (and running backs). Frustrating they have so little draft capital, especially after the Malik McDowell debacle pushed them into spending a high pick to bring in Richardson when they still thought they were set to make a run at another title.

That’s why the reports that the Patriots were offering a 3rd for Bennett and the Seahawks turned it down are shocking. Supposedly, the Seahawks had already made a deal with Philly and didn’t want to go back on that, but everyone understands it’s business. You tell Philly that Belichick offered a 3rd, and they understand.

Don’t know. I find those reports hard to believe. Maybe there was something else NE wanted as part of that deal that they weren’t willing to part with?

The Pats wanted D-Line help. After Bennett fell through, they traded for Danny Shelton from Cleveland.

Seattle also got a WR out of Philly, and there’s speculation the Hawks wanted him. They let Paul Richardson walk away this weekend, and this new guy is a potential P-Rich replacement.

Fast, yeah, but little experience. If only Paul could have stayed healthy. But still, the guy was a udfa with like 5 catches. He could have been had for a song.

That was always P-Rich’s problem. Dude is a glass cannon. And in football, availability is a vital trait.

Shelton might be serviceable as a nose tackle in the 3-4. He was useless in the 4-3.

Seahawks may be working on signing Ndamakong Suh, in anticipation of him being cut by Miami. The Seahawks don’t mind players being themselves and like guys that have a little bit of a nasty streak, but Suh’s rep is much more than a “little bit” nasty. Also wonder about a 31 year old guy coming in and buying into the culture here. Can’t imagine they are going to pay him 10+ mil per year, especially at his age (when they could resign a younger Sheldon Richardson instead), so maybe he wants to play for a contender on the cheap? But Seahawks didn’t exactly look like a contender last year…

Seferian-Jenkins also in town, apparently. They can certainly use TE help, but can he get his shit together?

By all reports, ASJ has gotten his shit together. He had a pretty good season with the Jets, and he’s been sober for more than a year. Plus, Seattle is home for him.

Sheldon Richardon has a bad attitude, but he just needed the right team. Suh though. Yikes.