The NFL 2018 Season

How many closeups are they going to have of Gruden tonight?

ESPN Homerism. I am so tired of hearing the nickname “Chucky” at this point.

I know this previous play by play guy(name escapes me) was seen as too dull by some but this Tesatore guy is trying to be way to hyped and edgy. Maybe I’m just an old wanker now but I’ll take Al and Chris over this new MNF crew.

Half beers for all!

Yeah, or Romo. Or Phil Simms. I haven’t cared for ESPN’s style choices in-booth for years, but these guys really blow. The early crew sounded like they were doing a WAC game on ESPN3.

Where did they play last night’s game? It looked like it was a baseball diamond converted to a football field for the night. But it was crazy because it just looked like a baseball diamond at midfield. No outfield, mound. No backstop. It felt like being the visiting team at a poor high school district.

Oakland Colluseum. Home to the Raiders and the A’s.

So yes, literally a baseball diamond. That’s been Oakland for years.

When does the Vegas move happen?

Thanks Craig. I didn’t realize both teams shared a stadium. They must have the transition from one sport to the other down to a science by now.

A bunch of teams used to share multi-sport stadiums with an MLB team, so it was a lot more common back in the 70s and 80s to see a baseball infield during the first month of NFL season. The Niners and SF Giants used to share Candlestick. Seahawks and Mariners in the Kingdome, and more. But as most MLB teams wrap up in September, it was replaced with football turf as soon as baseball season ended for that team.

In the 90s, multi-sport stadiums were on the way out due to the business model of luxury boxes uber alles and Camden Yards basically establishing what a modern baseball park could be. Every team had to have their own stadium or ballpark or they threatened to move. So you get this massive wave of new NFL stadiums and new MLB parks.

Oakland is the last shared MLB/NFL stadium, and it’s obviously on the way out as the Vegas stadium is under construction.

The Raiders will play the 2020 season (and after) in Vegas.

Or my historical favorite, the Chicago Bears at Wrigley Field

Edit: of course special events for other sports are fun too

Cleveland Municipal Stadium in the old days. Note the hump in the back of the end zone where it crosses the pitcher’s mound. The dirt baseball infield typically would turn into a sea of mud (or frozen mud) late in the football season.

German Ifedi is a guard at best, but as a tackle he’s literally a turnstile. It also doesn’t help that he’s facing a murderer’s row of pass rushers.

Sunday was Von Miller.
Next Monday is some dude name Khalil Mack.

Man when you see a play and your first thought is ‘I could run that in, or throw that pass’, you know it has gone horribly wrong.

Any idea how this play ended up? Obviously it wasn’t the easy TD to my TE, Burton. I’m guessing he tried to force a pass to a WR and it was incomplete.

Hell if I know. I was driving back from digging clams at the coast. I caught the last minute of that shit show.