The NFL 2018 Season

Well, before a discussion of that topic is even entertained, I think it would have to be held with someone who actually has an avatar, n’est-ce pas?

No mas.

It is sad that the Seahawks defense is missing multiple pro-bowlers (not counting the ones that are gone) and so many others that they started at least one guy who has been with the team for less than a week, and they are still outplaying the offense.

The right side of the line is a literal turnstile. And the guy lining up there is the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history.

I see they are still using the “Russell Wilson gets ball in Shotgun and sandlots for his life” System on offense.

The pass protection has been much better than last year. It ain’t perfect, but Russ is holding the ball much too long. Most of those were solidly on him.

Who can he throw too? His best receiver and go-to guy tore his MCL last week and is not playing.

Is it better to have a higher or lower number for that rating?

Trubisky looks OK tonight. What does everyone think of Witten in the booth?

Trubisky is not very good so far…

In his career.

Meanwhile, I found this today. It amused me.

The higher, the better.

Unless you’re in charge of managing the team’s salary cap.

Dude, I love Doug, but he has other targets. Plenty, in fact. Even if they aren’t getting open, he still needs to get rid of the ball.

So didn’t watch the game but there were two drop kicks? Awesome! You want to make the NFL more fun? Outlaw normal FGs and make every team drop kick FGs.

The NFL brought this upon themselves over time. As the game advanced and veterans retired with bad injuries, they thought, “protect them more.” And that’s actually the issue. People protected from harm do more damage thinking that everyone else is in that same protected bubble they feel they are in.

Imagine NFL without helmets, pads and rules like we have now. A few crippling injuries would weigh hard on players, and their tolerance of bad sportsmanship.

Do we need to go back to that? Lord, let’s hope not. But the point stands: we make things safer for players to act even more like jackasses. Are we still surprised that they do so? How does the NFL regulate that without looking like the bad guys?

To quote: The only winning move is not to play.

Actually, removing helmets and pads would probably make the game safer, at least in terms of long term health effects.

There have been some studies on this:
Journal of Athletic Training Research

They had a group of players from college football teams perform tackling drills without helmets, and compared them to a control group doing the same drill with helmets. And found throughout the season the players who trained without helmets while wearing the helmets actually had significantly less helmet to helmet contact than the control group.

The helmets and pads protect the offensive player, but they also protect the the defender too. If you weren’t wearing a helmet, you wouldn’t be launching noggin first into someone’s chest, basic animal self preservation shows that. You are more likely to tackle with your shoulders.

There actually is a no-pads “league” which is pretty small,

Full contact, no pads,

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/06/helmetless-tackle-football-no-pads-full-contact-a7fl

Currently undergoing an impact study with some researchers right now, who think the data will show less head trauma in hits, but data is still out on that.

It is a similar argument with boxing vs MMA. MMA uses reduced pads, and punch impacts are generally softer, making the sport “safer” for head trauma and concussions. It might look bloodier, but the impacts to the brain and body are generally weaker, due to the lack of padding on the hands.

I had heard this before too but wasn’t sure if there were studies backing it up or if it was just a theory. For sure, getting rocked without pads would tend to hold you back a bit. But missing here is the also insane amount of painkillers prescribed or taken in the NFL.

Really, the league created their own problem. I don’t see how these baby steps will work to fix it, either, beyond making confusing calls that neither the players or fans will like.

Thanks for that link to the A7FL, I had honestly never heard of it. That’s kind of cool!

If a QB’s uniform looked like this today it would have been the result of 14 roughing the passer penalties and 3 ejections.

I’m a Packer’s fan, and the one who thought the Matthews call was utter bullshit (because it was). So was the call on the play you linked. Both were utter bullshit. It’s just that one had a very outsized effect on the game (in that it turned a loss into a tie).