The NFL 2018 Season

I hear you on the guarantee, especially as an older guy in the workplace. But in sports, that is super rare, for better or worse.

Hey, I’m still a Cousins fan, FWIW. But that contract is … excessive? I guess I’m looking at it as a Redskins fan. Is that what he was shooting for, something so absurd that it’s an industry one-off and first? If so, Kirk, good luck with that. Your pouting about a contract can bother someone else.

Yes, sour grapes and all that, but seriously. The guy has zero rings and he is not Jesus reborn. He’s a good QB that needs a good org. Maybe half that monetary value.

The only part that pushes the boundaries is the guaranteed nature of it. And while I agree the dollar amount may seem extreme, in a couple of years I doubt he’ll be the highest paid quarterback in the league. Remember when Flacco got $20 million a year and people thought it was crazy? He’s barely in the top 10 now in terms of salary. The one constant is that people will get paid more and more.

Supply and demand, my friend!

He’s not going to be the highest paid QB in the league a month from now.

Or do you think Rodgers and Ryan are going to sign for less than Kirk frigging Cousins?

Both excellent points. This is prior to big name resignings and draft pickups. Based on your comments, I’m assuming Kirk just moved the marker and we’ll see similar amounts very shortly.

Something I was not aware of until just now:
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/15/kirk-cousins-contract-quarterbacks-guaranteed-money-mmqb

The NFL’s funding rule was put on the books around the AFL-NFL merger, before the national TV deals, and was meant to ensure that players would get the money they were owed. At a time when some franchises were on the financial ropes, the provision came in stipulating that every fully guaranteed dollar owed to a player, but not yet paid to him, had to be funded to a league-run escrow account.

Back then, it made sense. Guys had reason to worry about their checks clearing. But as the league’s earning power has grown, the rule’s usefulness has changed. Now, it’s deployed by teams almost exclusively as a shield. Clubs will tell players they can’t afford to guarantee deals because funding them creates cashflow issues. And that much is no secret.

We’ll see… like I noted, Brees just took $50 million over two years to make sure the team had money for other players.

This is rather remarkable about Chase Daniel, who has signed with the Bears:

If Daniel collects the $10 million on this contract, it will take him to $34.3 million in earnings as an NFL quarterback. To this point, he has thrown all of 78 regular-season passes, which have produced a combined passer rating of 81.1.

He’s had 51 completions, so that’s over half a million per completion.

Seahawks reportedly seeking a 1st and 3rd for Earl Thomas.

Okay you guys were legit in saying they are cleaning house on the defense. They think they can replace all of these with rookies or are they signing anyone on the D side?

They signed Barkevious Mingo, and they’re reportedly interest on both sides in regards to Suh.

They have some young defensive players they really like, and they’ve put tenders on a couple of them.

2018 feels very much like a transition year. It’s all about clearing cap space for 2019 and beyond, and also putting the foundation in place. Due to various trades over the years, they only have eight or nine draft picks this year, and no second or third round picks at all. So it’ll be difficult to replenish with this year’s draft class alone.

But they do have some key positions in place. Russell Wilson is still QB. Bobby Wagner was a top 3 finalist for DPOY last year. Those are the captains of the offense and defensive, respectively

I think they feel that, even currently depleted, this is potentially a Wild Card team.

Are they clearing the decks for the inevitable huge Wilson extension or what?

That’s certainly being taken into account. According to overthecap, the Seahawks have $18 million in cap space currently in 2018. But as it is right now, it’s forecasted to be at least $73 million in 2019 and $125 million in 2020.

Another Browns blown first-rounder. Surprised there’s still interest in him.

They got him under a deal that’s totally reasonable. He’s got the physical tools, and he did well on special teams last year. They think they can work with that.

I mean the list of first rounders who wash out with their first team, but find a place on a different team, is not small. And, sadly, the Browns are a poorly run team top to bottom, so its more likely their cast offs could flourish on another team than, say, the Patriots.

Eh, he was drafted as first-round, supposedly great edge rusher. Whatever success he’s had on special teams, he never has and never will be that.

Maybe, I know nothing about him. All I know is if I were a team looking to take a flier on a disappointing player from another org, I’d look at teams like the Bears and Browns first. They may never live up to the rep they came in with, but they may have more potential than their prior performance would indicate.

I don’t really agree with that. The Browns’ problems are more the result of bad drafting than bad coaching.

I’d be surprised if they don’t kick the tires on Eric Reid, especially if Earl is traded.

I think Suh wants big money, and I don’t blame him, given this is likely his last big chance, but I’m not at all excited about paying 10+ million per year to a guy that’s 31 years old, especially when that’s precisely the kind of contract we are trying to dig our ways out of (not saying that those contracts weren’t deserved).

As for a Mingo, I was interested in him when he came into the league (great football name), and they got him cheap, so will see what happens.

@inactive_user Wilson just got a huge contract last year

I could see Suh under a short contract; he’ll want a long one though.

Seahawks lost Bennett and Avil is most likely gone (either due for cap savings or his neck injury ends his career). They need DL, but they don’t have the draft picks this year to get them. So stopgaps are required.