The NFL 2018 Season

A tie. This ain’t Fútbol.

And the tie is frowned upon, unlike Fútbol.

Game over, Browns can’t stop the mighty Raider attack led by future HOF-er…(checks notes)…Derek Carr.

I take full responsibility for jinxing the Browns.

You are a Bronco fan…

The real shame is the torn patellar tendon for Will Dissly.

Got another DraftKings win with the local friends. Here’s my lineup from today in the standard contest for 1pm and 4pm games only.

QB Philip Rivers
RB Ezekiel Elliott
RB Beast Mode
WR Nelson Agholor
WR Calvin Ridley
WR Tyler Boyd
TE Trey Burton
FLEX Melvin Gordon III
DST Bears

That was good for 198.60 points. I didn’t enter in some of the larger games but probably would’ve won a little bit of dough in those too. $5 entry won me $18.90 in a six player game. Good times. I love being able to pick a new squad weekly within the salary cap.

Wow, Phillip Rivers is still playing? I honestly thought he retired.

Earl Thomas broke his leg.

God, I feel horrible.

That’s awful. I don’t even know how that happened. It didn’t look like a particularly bad fall, but I guess he must have landed on it awkwardly.

There is video of him flipping off the Seahawks sidelines, which I don’t really get. I know he was trying to get a better contract and using the potential for injury (I think) as a bargaining chip. I guess now that he is injured and there’s no better deal, he’s bitter?

He wanted them to re-sign him to a multiyear deal, or trade him to a team that would do a multiyear deal, exactly out of fear of something like this happening.

Now his value is majorly damaged, and he has no leverage or guaranteed money being in the last year of his contract.

He blames them for not trading him, but fails to understand no one in the current safety market was willing to give up what he thinks he is worth. Everyone loses here. Seahawks get nothing. Unlikely he gets the contract he wants coming off an injury.

As to how it occurred, hard to tell from tv angles, but it looked to me like he was late getting over to make a play and sort of stumbled, effectively leg whipping himself against the defender.

@TimElhajj he has been acting like a toddler for months

The Dolphins to their fans every year:

That’s not fair. Some years we’re terrible the whole season.

Meanwhile… “Since 1940, teams scoring 36+ points at home with 0 turnovers are 402-4.”

Half of those four losses are the Atlanta Falcons the last two weeks.

I’m not sure you can really be that upset at being 3-1 and losing to last year’s Super Bowl loser.

I mean I know we all want to go 16-0, but maybe just see if they end up 5-11 before completely toasting them. :-)

It wasn’t the losing that upset me. It was the not showing up, looking putrid and getting blown out that bothered me.

That just feels like today’s NFL. It feels like every year, even the good teams don’t just lose a game or two, they absolutely lay an egg.

I think 90% of the sports talk guys already crowned Minnesota with the NFC conference final game, and they just were a joke against Buffalo.

I’m not sure why it is. I imagine it happened more than I remember, but growing up a 49ers fan in the 80s, I do not remember them being quite so terrible in their losing games, like where they just did not show up. But memory is hazy as to such things. I mostly just remember the boyhood tragedy of Montana getting devastated by Giants hits, where I’m not actually sure how he got up (but they certainly ended the season).

It’s funny how as a kid (at least where I grew up), you had to be different by not actually rooting for your own home team. Everyone in my school had to pick “their team,” and being from Wisconsin, it was incredibly uncool if that team was the Packers. So you had this weird thing of kids from some small town in Wisconsin rooting for the Cowboys, Steelers, 49ers, Bears, etc.

On the day that the school let us wear our adorable little football helmets outside at recess, it looked like the Pro Bowl from all the different teams represented. :-)

Being boatraced on an away game sucks. For something worse, watch tonight’s game.

Oh man. The end of Colts - Texans…I literally LOL’d when Houston kicked the FG to win after the Colts Frank Reich decided a tie was somehow worse than a loss and refused to just call the genuflect formation with 27 seconds left and end the game. 4th and 4 on YOUR OWN 43…literally 10 yards from the opposing kicker’s comfortable FG range…and you turn it over on downs and end up losing at home. The faces on the crowd shots…priceless.

Also, the Bengals sneak out a win and the Steelers lose to fellow AFC North foe Baltimore. Pure awesome. I do feel for poor Tyler Eifert though. He was finally healthy, finally looking like the Tyler Eifert of old, and playing on a one year deal to try and prove he could still play like the Tyler Eifert of old. Ouch.

Yeah, wasn’t that something? The Indie coach must really really hate ties.

See, this is the type of decision that really, really makes you question how difficult it would really be in order to be an NFL head coach. I mean, I get it, they are making hundreds of decisions per game, they’re really knowledgeable, etc.

But then they do this stupid shit that makes it look like they really do not understand simple things like the actual mathematical value of a tie (versus a loss) in the standings in a league that has a very short season (and thus every game altering decision has even greater import, as there are only 16 games).

It would be one thing if it was 4th and 1. Or if it was 4th and 4 from the opposing team’s 38 or something like that. But sheesh.

I know that there are papers out there on the statistics of going for it on 4th down, and how statistically speaking teams should do it much more often than they do. I’m not sure this was that time.