The NFL Protests

Or your ego obviously. :)

Man it feels weird when I agree with Scuzz :-D

Damn I either walked onto a 2nd grade playground or this is actually Face Book.

No u!

The absolute best way to make sure each and every person in the country stands up and respects the flag and the national anthem, is to first make sure each and every person in the country stands up and respects one another.

Obviously that is not happening in the United States, on many levels. Until it does, I respect the right of any person, NFL player or otherwise, to express their disappointment in their country by peacefully calling attention to this fact during the anthem. I’d prefer it if they also VOTED to express their displeasure as well.

This is how every single NFL player should stand for the Anthem.

These guys weren’t on someones payroll when they did that, and actually risked one hell of a lot more in doing it than money compared to today’s players.

But I know you guys don’t care about that.

Freedom of speech is infinite and you can do whatever you want to do at your place of employment.

The thing is that it respects the anthem in a truly historic fashion.

And people claim I don’t listen.

With the racial divisions of NFL teams, this’ll never happen but it’d be great to see.

Side note that I find interesting:

There’s a uniform player contract for the NFL which dictates many things, including player conduct. Standing for/respecting the anthem is not detailed in that. In short, it’s not in their JD. THAT SAID, there is authority/wiggle room to take action for some nebulous terms (conduct detrimental to the team/league). The thing is, this is highly debatable. For instance, is kneeling actually harmful to the league, or is it rather Trump’s tweets condemning it?

I suspect the decision to make this a fine for the team as opposed to penalizing the player(s) is a way to sidestep any disputes; the league has more leeway and frankly less resistance on league to team dealings, and the teams have more leeway in working around limitations on holding players accountable for their actions due to the separate contracts they sign with the teams).

VERY important disclosure: IANAL, although I’ve occasionally had to wrestle with uniform player contract stuff over the years (consider my knowledge as the level one hears in break rooms and over lunch, so take it all with a grain of salt).

I’m not sold on that in light of the fact that now they are being forced to stand as well.

Eh, my bad, I was behind like 80 posts and it got lost in the shuffle.

Not sure on the legal specifics, but I’m betting your employer can’t force you to stand for an anthem.

If the NFL wants to just be another place of employment, let’s revoke all their antitrust exemptions and stop financing their expensive new stadiums with public money and let them be just another place of employment.

How do you think they’d like them apples?

Whether or not the NFL as an employer can regulate specific examples of workplace behavior is one aspect of the issue, I guess, though it’s a lot more complex than, say, Bloat Co.'s widget factory down the street. Whether or not the NFL should do crap like this is entirely another story, and it’s there the league deserves all the opprobrium heaped upon it.

Wow. Who hacked Joe Walsh’s Twitter account? He’s been on an anti-Trump tear for awhile now, and he was so far up Trump’s ass in 2016 that it qualified as Trump’s annual colonoscopy. I still think he’s a complete idiot, but can only hope that many more conservatives are now thinking the way Walsh does about what’s happening to our country under Trump.

I mean I guess that’s good? But it’s not like Joe Walsh is going to vote for Bernie Sanders in 2020. He will happily vote for Trump when the time comes.

You didn’t understand the sarcasm of that statement? Really?

Agreed.