The NFL Protests

What’s been fun to watch are the number of college football bubbas who are never going to own Nike anything again…being reminded that their proud school (ROLL TIDE) is a school wearing uniforms and selling officially licensed apparel exclusively made by…(wait for it)…Nike.

Gonna be a lot of doofuses showing up at football games in off-brand WalMart shit this year.

Yes, destroy the Nike items you already own and paid for. That’ll show 'em!

Maybe we should suggest a strategy: they should buy a lot of Nike products and then destroy them. That’s the way to show Nike how displeased you are!

cut my socks into pieces
this is my last resort
supplication
no kneeling
don’t give a fuck if my keurig starts beeping

I’m going to repost Beto’s speech here, cause this is also the right thread for it, and it says everything that needs to be said on the issue.

That’s a great video, but I disagree with how he started. He says that he doesn’t think kneeling is disrespectful, but I think it is, and that that’s the point. If it wasn’t disrespectful, nobody would care. But sometimes we have to be disrespectful in order to send a message. And that’s OK.

I’m dying holy shit. Have a like.

The point is to be different, and so be noticed. Kaepernick starting out by sitting a couple of times but was convinced by a retired Green Beret that kneeling would be a respectful way to make his point.

It became ‘disrespectful’ because he is a person of color protesting, and that = bad.

Boyer posted a photograph of himself with Kaepernick following the meeting, and later said:

We sorta came to a middle ground where he would take a knee alongside his teammate. Soldiers take a knee in front of a fallen brother’s grave, you know, to show respect. When we’re on a patrol, you know, and we go into a security halt, we take a knee, and we pull security.

To me there is nothing more respectful than to take the flag, and the ideals it represents, seriously. It is far more respectful than the mindless adherence to a set of social norms with no real thought to it.

If Beto O’Rourke doesn’t defeat the preserved corpse of Ted Cruz then it’ll be a damn shame.

Revenants are difficult to banish. You need at least +1 weaponry.

Even then they come back endlessly.

So Fox News and its ilk are freaking out over Nike featuring Kaepernick in its new ad campaign, and financial news sites are reporting Nike shares falling as a result of the “backlash.” A check of the ticker at 10:25 am central (with 20 minute delay) shows Nike shares down $2.16 or about 2.6%. Hardly something that can’t weather.

The perfect gift for that Republican in your life:

'MERICA!

I’d love to see Nike officially license that swoosh and then have Kaepernick wear them in the ad.

I like how the shoe is stomping on the flag.
Respect.

Bonus points if the flag has blue & white stripes.

I mean the flag code literally specifies that it is disrespectful to use the flag as an item of clothing, or to incorporate it into advertising.

Kneeling is, strangely, never mentioned.

The code says “no disrespect should be shown” to the flag, but that’s all it says. Even if one interprets the protests as disrespectful, the Supreme Court decisions regarding burning the flag in protest would make that unenforceable. As for the clothing like the Nike shoe above, the code prohibits using the flag or part of the flag as clothing, but the shoe pictured above and the cloth it’s sitting on aren’t using actual flags. They’re using something that resembles the flag, which is different.