The North Korea Thread

Yeah, I can’t see any good choices for them. They could just do nothing like the last administration did, but that’s not going to solve any problems.

Quartz: North Korea wants one thing from Donald Trump (YT video)

Donald Trump has agreed to meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. If the meeting actually happens, Trump will be the first sitting US president ever to meet with a North Korean leader.

Very honorable. You know except for the nerve agent, nukes and shooting his people with anti-aircraft guns on top of so many other things it would be a book itself.

Well, that’ll ruin someone’s day, having a nuclear test site collapse on 'em.

Frankly, a mountain falling over my head would be my least concern if I were put on a spot where a nuclear detonation is going to blast.

Even the Hulk doesn’t like that

Pretty wild…

I don’t care what anyone says. This is amazing.

It does sort of point out, though, the problems with the American approach to this issue. The South Koreans see the whole thing as sort of an existential problem, literally, as do the North Koreans. We tend to view it as an ideological challenge. Despite whatever deep resentment and hostility there is between the two Koreas, there is in the end some real impetus for change eventually, if only to remove a constant sword of Damocles hovering over both countries. For us, it’s always been more about posturing and image.

This is a huge historic moment. @Telefrog I don’t think you’re wrong in your assessment at all.

What nobody seems to be talking about in the news (yet) has been mentioned before in articles and even this thread. If we project this path to a future desired state, it’s going to seriously affect labor prices for several nearby countries in the future. The entire globe seeks the cheapest labor it can, this might mean 25 million at a bargain basement price.

Also keep in mind for the moment that when NK says “denuclearization,” it’s usually a code for “withdrawal of US troops.” Which in itself might not at all be a bad thing, but really that’s for the South to decide.

Yup. Full credit to all involved. A more peaceful world is a great thing. I hope it sticks.

Pretty much my view as well.

Exactly.

I’ll start taking him seriously when he tells his own people that he might give up nuclear weapons. He can’t just suddenly get on TV one day and say “By the way, you know those nuclear weapons and missiles that were the #1 priority, that our whole nation sacrificed for decades to build? I gave them away to our most hated enemy.”

You know he’d follow that up by adding: “and now you can buy food in stores again,” right?

Hard to imagine the North Korean people rebelling in favor of more nukes and less food and medicine.

The people yes, The generals and scientist not so sure. I mean after hearing for the last 20 odd years that the key to survival against the west is getting nuclear weapons and the seeing the fate of Libya, Ukraine, and Iraq, I don’t think the reaction will be that positive among the ruling class in North Korea.