The North Korea Thread

President Donald Trump told North Korean leader Kim Jong Un during their Singapore summit in June that he’d sign a declaration to end the Korean War soon after their meeting, according to multiple sources familiar with the negotiations.

But since then, the Trump administration has repeatedly asked Pyongyang to dismantle most of its nuclear arsenal first, before signing such a document.

That decision is likely what has led to the current stalemate in negotiations between the two countries — and the increasingly hostile rhetoric from North Korea.

“It makes sense why the North Koreans are angry,” one source told me. “Having Trump promise a peace declaration and then moving the goalposts and making it conditional would be seen as the US reneging on its commitments.”
[…]
According to two people familiar with Trump and Kim’s discussions in Singapore during the June 12 summit, Trump promised the North Korean leader that he’d sign a peace declaration soon after they met. (The two sources requested anonymity to discuss sensitive negotiations.) It’s still unclear whether Kim requested this or if Trump brought it up, and whether Trump promised to sign the declaration by a certain date.

A source also noted that North Korea believes Trump made the same promise to Kim Yong Chol, a top North Korean official close to Kim Jong Un, at the White House on June 1 — 11 days before the summit.

That tracks with Trump’s comments during a press conference in Singapore after meeting with Kim. “What we signed today had a lot of things included. You had things that were not included that we got after the deal was signed,” he said in response to a question about whether both leaders had discussed a peace agreement.

Idiot Hitler strikes again!

STATEMENT FROM THE WHITE HOUSE

President Donald J. Trump feels strongly that North Korea is under tremendous pressure from China because of our major trade disputes with the Chinese Government. At the same time, we also know that China is providing North Korea with considerable aid, including money, fuel, fertilizer and various other commodities. This is not helpful! Nonetheless, the President believes that his relationship with Kim Jong Un is a very good and warm one, and there is no reason at this time to be spending large amounts of money on joint U.S.-South Korea war games. Besides, the President can instantly start the joint exercises again with South Korea, and Japan, if he so chooses. If he does, they will be far bigger than ever before. As for the U.S.–China trade disputes, and other differences, they will be resolved in time by President Trump and China’s great President Xi Jinping. Their relationship and bond remain very strong.

If he does, they will be far bigger than ever before

Yuge war games. Only the best war games. Better than any war games Obama had.

Denuclearisation going great:

Remember when trump fixed the North Korean situation and endlessly patted himself on the back?

Well it is infrastructure week, just not in America.

Timex, Speaking to your eternal pessimism. :) This came out in the news today. I remembered our convo of like a month ago.

Like I said before, it happens. People just don’t pay attention when it does. And it gets buried by the never-ending partisan he said she said battle and backseat driving. :)

May the families find solace and comfort.

U.S. Identifies Remains of Two Service Members Returned From North Korea

Both died in late 1950; names will be announced after families are informed

JOINT BASE PEARL HARBOR-HICKAM, Hawaii—The U.S. has identified the remains of two service members among the 55 boxes returned by North Korea this summer, officials from the Defense POW/MIA Accountability Agency said Monday.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-identifies-remains-of-two-service-members-returned-from-north-korea-1536644825?mod=hp_listc_pos3

Tech’s New Problem: North Korea

Hiding behind social-media fake profiles, a group linked to Pyongyang solicited technology work to send hard currency back home

These details come from a Wall Street Journal investigation into a North Korean business based in China that has been building mobile games, apps, bots and other products for clients in the U.S. and elsewhere. Customers said they had no idea they were dealing with North Koreans.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/north-koreans-exploit-social-medias-vulnerabilities-to-dodge-sanctions-1536944018?mod=hp_lead_pos5

I wonder which Mobile games are from the DPRK, @Rod_Humble ?

Likely the pay to win wargames…

Queue one trillion, “this is my surprised face” meme pics.

Trump got friend-zoned.

Get cucked by communists to … own the libs?

I mean that is a parody account… still funny though.

It is. Run by a former Popehat contributor.

I mean it is a parody account, but the whole thing about getting cucked by commies… is accurate.

Because Trump did say that and NK did announce they were keeping their nukes and he can basically go fuck himself.