The North Korea Thread

Yeah - very curious. Wonder if Trump caught wind of how badly his ‘negotiating’ was playing back home.

Even Kim can only stand so much of him. He got his photos, no reason to sit in a room with the guy.

DPRK are so media savvy im surprised they are lettimg Kim be associated with a clown like Trump

Yeah, very short on details. Here’s the most info I could find at this point.

So that was a boondoggle. Not that I’m displeased that we’re not striking deals with the DPRK, but this thing seemed like an epic snipe hunt from the start.

Are they eloping??

Rats. I was really hoping to get to watch a press conference dominated by questions about Cohen’s testimony.

-Tom

I think the presser (Trump only) is still happening. Starting any moment…going to be, uh, interesting.

Well that was boring. He just seemed sullen, going home with his tail between his legs. I was hoping he’d be angry and yapping and indignant about Cohen.

-Tom

The decision to walk out of the summit (assuming it’s actually him who made the choice, and not just the spin he’s placing on it), is actually not a terrible decision. He can (and is) spin it positively as part of the “art of the deal” (you must be willing to walk away, etc).

Of course, foreign relations experts could have (and probable have) told him that the deal he’s seeking is never in a million years going to be accepted by NK, making the whole seance a waste of time (at least for the USA - Kim has a lot to gain from being elevated into being an equal of the POTUS).

Well, yeah, he shouldn’t be there in the first place. You don’t get a cookie for not stepping on your dick when you’re already doing something really dumb. And frankly, he’s handing the North Korean regime a huge win by legitimizing KJU as a world leader worthy of meeting with the US. Not to mention covering for the murder of Otto Warmbier just like he covered for the murder of Jamal Khashoggi. Russia, Saudi Arabia, North Korea. Trump never met a murderous thug regime he didn’t want to be his friend.

-Tom

Just happy he didn’t give Kim our entire arsenal of ICBMs in exchange for a photo op.

All of this.

And the other thing is, Trump can make all the happy talk he’d like about their productive dialogue or whatever, but the sense of it is honestly that they’re exactly where they were after the last summit in Singapore, and there’s not really anything (thankfully) that should inspire much confidence in a third meeting.

For those who forget, this is EXACTLY what folks on the right said back when Obama was president, and there was talk of him meeting with North Korea.

Sometimes the folks on the right say things that aren’t greedy, hypocritical, and stupid.

But Obama never did actually meet with KJU did he? And he certainly never praised him publicly like Trump has been doing.

But yeah, both sides.

Obama for sure wouldn’t proclaim (loudly and multiple times) that he and a foreign dictator “were in love.”

That’s because he’d rather show than tell, IYKWIM.

Of course not. The last time an American President met with a North Korean leader – we’re still technically at war with the country – was ten years ago when former President Clinton negotiated for the release of two American journalists busted sneaking in from China. And when he did it, he looked suitably grim:

That’s how you sit next to a man who’s murdered thousands upon thousands of his own people. Rigidly, unsmiling, and with a very specific concrete reason for being there.

-Tom

And, again, Clinton was heavily criticized by the far right for meeting with him.

None of that stuff they said meant anything.