The North Korea Thread

They will probably just dig up some Chinese investor visas going.

The US will just buy it .

https://twitter.com/AP/status/863514875842224128

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-northkorea-missiles-idUSKBN1890UO

North Korea fired on Sunday an unidentified projectile from a region near its west coast, South Korea’s military said.

The nature of the projectile is not immediately clear, a South Korean military official said by telephone.

Yonhap news agency reported the projectile launched appeared to be a ballistic missile.

The launch took place at a region named Kusong located northwest of the capital, Pyongyang, where the North previously test-launched its intermediate-range missile it is believed to be developing.

The launch, if it is confirmed to be test-firing of a ballistic missile, is the first in two weeks since the last attempt to fire a missile ended in a failure just minutes into flight.

You gotta love the term “unidentified projectile.”

Yeah. It was probably just a potato cannon test. Nothing to worry about.

White House: “The President cannot imagine that Russia is pleased.”

http://publicpool.kinja.com/subject-statement-from-the-press-secretary-on-the-nort-1795198740

THE WHITE HOUSE

Office of the Press Secretary

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

May 13, 2017

Statement from the Press Secretary on the North Korea Missile Test

The President has been briefed on the latest missile test by North Korea.

With the missile impacting so close to Russian soil in fact, closer to Russia than to Japan the President cannot imagine that Russia is pleased.

North Korea has been a flagrant menace for far too long. South Korea and Japan have been watching this situation closely with us. The United States maintains our ironclad commitment to stand with our allies in the face of the serious threat posed by North Korea. Let this latest provocation serve as a call for all nations to implement far stronger sanctions against North Korea.

This is an erroneous interpretation. Trump and Putin aren’t heading to war with each other—they’re heading to war together. Trump is a vociferous defender and admirer of Putin and is suspected by multiple intelligence experts of being assisted and even co-opted by the Kremlin. Russian interference in the US election has been affirmed by multiple US intelligence agencies and has led to calls for a congressional investigation. Rather than engaging in an arms race against each other, Trump and Putin are possibly teaming up as nuclear partners against shared targets.

Sound fantastical? It’s not: Trump has been obsessed with nuclear weapons for several decades, and has expressed his desire to coordinate with Russia on nuclear policy since the 1980s. In 1984 Trump, backed by Roy Cohn, the political operative who advised Joe McCarthy and Richard Nixon, proclaimed his goal of negotiating nuclear deals with the Soviets: “It would take an hour-and-a-half to learn everything there is to learn about missiles,” Trump said. “I think I know most of it anyway. You’re talking about just getting updated on a situation… You know who really wants me to do this? Roy… I’d do it in a second.”

This is so stupid and childish it’s hard to believe they actually released it.

If there is joint action planned, why would you say this?

If there is no joint action planned, why the hell would Russia care what North Korea does? It doesn’t even make sense that they would be concerned.

Russia does border on North Korea, if barely, so they do have a stake in stuff I suppose.

Their stake is for NK to continue to be a thorn in the side of the US.

That, and to not cause any nasty spillover. No one trusts the Kim family.

Russia knows what is happening.

This release by the White House is laughable. It’s like a little kid saying, “did you hear what he just said about your mom? Wooooooo!”

This is not international politics. I can’t believe that there is literally no one in the administration capable of filtering this stuff into an appearance of decorum.

My take is, when your only consistent message is that Washington is full of idiots, and when you define their idiocy by things like making sense and having some decorum (attacking these things as evidence of elitism and being out of touch with “real people”), it is not only unnecessary but counter-productive to actually look like anything other than what Trump looks like now.

The statement also acknowledged the missile test’s close proximity to Russia: “With the missile impacting so close to Russian soil –- in fact, closer to Russia than to Japan –- the President cannot imagine that Russia is pleased.”

But the Russian Defense Ministry said in a statement, "The given rocket launch posed no danger to the Russian Federation. The resources of the Russian early warning system about [the] rocket attack and the monitoring missile defense forces will maintain combat watch in scheduled mode.

The ministry said the missile flew for about 23 minutes before crashing into the sea around 500 km (310 miles) from Russia into the center of the Sea of Japan.

“The flight trajectory of the North Korean missile passed in the direction from the Russian border and at a significant distance,” the statement said.

Oh, man.

Here’s an image showing where people pointed to on a map when asked to identify North Korea:

For some reason, I find it tremendously funny that some people think Korea is smack dab in the middle of China. Sad, but funny.

How do people get through life being so utterly shit at geography?

Every time I see one of these maps showing American’s geographic ‘knowledge’ I weep. I mean we all have our spaces, and if they couldn’t find Burkina Faso on a map I would’t be terribly upset. Hell there’s a 50/50 chance I put the marker on the Ivory Coast or Benin instead.

But, c’mon. this is just embarrassing.

How does one get selected for those surveys, I need to show Americans aren’t utterly incompetent at geography…

What of the ones in the middle of the Indian Ocean. Not even on the Maldives or Seychelles or something. Nope, ocean.

Oh…Korea? I thought you said coral.

As usual, the people who are most certain they know how to run the world are the ones who know the least about it.