The North Korea Thread

Wonder if Trump can find Korea on a map…

Obviously the problem is not enough maps.

So much this. I would totally understand if a majority of Americans couldn’t find a random tiny country that’s hardly ever in the news, but this is North Korea. It’s in the news all the time! Plus, Korea has pretty distinctive shape. It’s China’s wang. Just find the wang and move your finger up a bit.

I like the idea that North Korea is tucked away somewhere in Australia.

Even if you don’t know what it looks like, it’s really important to the whole political situation that you know it borders China, so any answer that doesn’t have it bordering China clearly shows you don’t know shit about NK. And if you can’t identify, at least approximately, where China, India, Russia, or Japan are on a map of Asia (and therefore confuse one of them with NK), then you really should stay out of all geo-political debates. Of course, more than half of all Americans don’t vote and probably do stay out of those debates, so a map like this might be more accurate if it was only likely or even registered voters.

You’d like that, wouldn’t you?

I was trying very hard not to make a joke about earthquakes and bumping Japan.

This would in fact be amazing to ambush him at some point and ask him to point out north korea on a map of the country, because you sure as shit know he couldn’t.

I’m pretty sure that weird bit in the US statement about how Russia is close to North Korea was added by Donnie so he could show off the brand-new fact he learned.

Ten years or so ago, I flew out to Madrid to visit a friend. When I got back in town, I went out to dinner with this brunette I’d been lusting after for some time.

After the waiter took our order, we got to talking and she asked me about my trip to Spain. I told her about the great time I had, the various sites and people I met, etc. I’ll never forget her pausing with the wineglass halfway to her lips, a quizzical look on her face, as she asked “What country is Spain in, anyway?”.

There was not a second date.

Lol. I will admit to having hired an artist years ago who lived in Malta, which I’m pretty sure is a cereal.

I’m pretty sure Trump couldn’t find half the states in the U.S. on a map, let alone other countries.

On some level, I think it’s more reasonable to know where certain other countries are, than it is to know where certain states are.

For instance, knowing where a country like China is, or North Korea, or Iran? Those are potentially important things to know.

Iowa? Seriously, beyond “It’s out there in the middle somewhere”, who gives a fuck? Beyond it’s grossly oversized impact on elections, Iowa does not play a role in most Americans’ lives.

Exactly. I mean, look, if you can’t identify 90% of the countries in Africa, don’t know your Uzbek from your Tajik or Kyrgiz stans, or can’t remember the name of the country sandwiched between Italy, Austria, and Croatia? I’m not gonna give you grief.

But it’s reasonable to think that certain countries should be easy to find. China, Brazil, Russia, Japan, Korea, Iraq, Saudia Arabia, Egypt, Syria.

Like I legitimately wonder what % of the US could place Germany on the map.

I wish they had the entire world map on there and not just Asia. I bet you there would be multiple dots on North Carolina.

Geographic ignorance is a direct result, IMO, of generations of bullshit pseudo-education that perpetuated the myth of American exceptionalism, to the point that most Americans genuinely cannot fathom why they need to know anything about, well, anything, because God himself has anointed the USA as the hope of mankind, and after all, wars and stuff happen to other people.

Like for you, not because I like what you’re saying, but because it is (depressingly) spot fucking on.

I thought it had more to do with companies, corporations, read management groups, believes that school systems exist to give them workers they shouldn’t have to train but just work to death from the get go. You don’t need to know where North Korea is too make a better widget.

This too; it’s all part of the same thing really. The myth of exceptionalism prepares people for their own exploitation. They might see other people, somewhere else, being exploited, but they can’t, or won’t, realize that they are in the exact same position. After all, “they” have stuff like class conflict, evil businesses, and corrupt governments, but “we” don’t, therefore, I “can’t” be being exploited!

That’s North Korealina to you, interlopers!