The North Korea Thread

The missile landed in the ocean. That twitter guy can eat a fucking dick with that clickbait tweet. Update, my ass.

He’s in intel/hacking circles and reports stuff when he hears about it and updates. It’s a 25 minute span and one tweet stream, so it’s not like he’s throwing out a tweet and then corrects in a different post hoping people don’t see it.

Then again I’m pretty sure we’ve had this conversation already, more than once, so whatever.

Noted. Any thoughts on if they would be SSG or SSGNs? I can think of reasons that would make those … necessary at some point.

Could be, though I hope not. That would make me start to wonder if we are gearing up for something. My guess is subs are there to gather information, not prep an attack. Pretty much any of our boats pack enough punch to respond to something, if needed.

AFAIK, we don’t have any dedicated non-SSBM missile boats, do we? I mean, the attack subs carry Tomahawks regularly; I didn’t think we had dedicated non-ballistic missile boats like the Soviets used to. Well, after the Regulus or whatever era way back when.

Great question. We used to, but I don’t know if that is true anymore.

We converted the first four Ohio boats from SSBN to SSGN during the Obama years.

We’ve actually converted the oldest Ohio class SSBNs in SSGNs.

Ah, cool. Vaguely remember that now. I guess it was a good way to use the boomers. Lots of space.

Otto Warmbier dies days after release from North Korean detainment

Yeah, just another way the North Koreans demonstrate their humanity and goodness.

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2017/06/16/533229449/after-otto-warmbiers-release-will-u-s-ban-travel-to-north-korea

How does the U.S. ban travel to NK? I thought you could only get into NK from China (and maybe a handful of other countries).

My understanding is that the US merely (but strongly) discourages its citizens from traveling there. State Dept. warning page with all the info.

Also, I read somewhere that if you do decide to travel to NK, you pretty much have to do so with a group. Not sure how that works.

Drew formerly of Giant Bomb did a trip and a long (premium) Giant Bomb video about his North Korea vacation.

You’ve got to be insane to vsisit NK if you’re American. Just stay home and watch a documentary instead.

No one should ever go to North Korea, ever.

Wish I’d gotten to spend more time in South Korea last summer. Just a few hours in Busan, but really enjoyed what I got to see.

Obviously true. But no one should ever climb El Capitan without ropes. Or naked. For whatever reason, some humans are wired to seek out the thrill of doing potentially deadly things.

Busan is a very cool city!