The North Korea Thread

I hear Baron is great at computers.

BEIJING — After President Trump pilloried China in 48 tweeted words, accusing it of failing to tame its neighbor and longtime ally North Korea, Beijing issued its own rebuke to Mr. Trump — in a cutting editorial of 1,000 Chinese characters from Xinhua, the official news agency.

“Trump is quite a personality, and he likes to tweet,” said the Xinhua response issued late Monday and widely displayed on Chinese news websites. “But emotional venting cannot become a guiding policy for solving the nuclear issue on the peninsula,” it said, referring to the divided Korean Peninsula.

The United States, it added, “must not continue spurning responsibility” for the volatile standoff with North Korea, “and even less should it stab China in the back.”

The unusually personal nature of the editorial, together with comments delivered earlier that day by China’s ambassador to the United Nations in New York, show North Korea is becoming the main dispute threatening to tear at Mr. Trump’s initially friendly relationship with his Chinese counterpart, Xi Jinping.

That man needs to be run over by a garbage truck.

Now now, garbage trucks have feelings too!

I am not savvy to politics. Does it mean the resolution got 15 likes?

Now someone find a Tweet from him saying sanctions against North Korea are stupid and pointless.

That said, I’m glad he’s listening to someone and that it actually passed the SC.

15-0 vote by the UN council is pretty significant. The entire world sees North Korea as a very dangerous and emerging threat. Now we get to see if this spins up the saber rattling again, or if North Korea chooses to actually brandish a war-like action.

Interesting story syndicated yesterday in the Sunday paper (Gannett paper here) about Kim Jong Un. The upshot was that a lot of South Korean analysts and others seriously studying Pyongyang feel he’s not a loon at all, but rather an extremely ruthless, brutal, but intelligent operator who is calculating every outrage to build up protections for his family, regime, and personal survival. In other words, he’s perfectly willing to sacrifice everyone around him for his own or his families gain, and every act he takes is designed to help that agenda in some way.

Actually makes him out as more dangerous than if he was just some batshit loonie toon.

… like some view Trump.

But yes, I agree that’s scarier than just being a loon.

“The best signal that North Korea could give us that they’re prepared to talk would be to stop these missile launches,” he said, according to the Washington Post.

Tillerson is an idiot. The absence of something is never the best signal of anything, and he proves that’s true in the next breath.

“We’re not going to give someone a specific number of days or weeks," Tillerson said when asked about a time frame.
"This is not a ‘give me 30 days and we are ready to talk.’ It’s not quite that simple. So it is all about how we see their attitude toward approaching a dialogue with us.”

In effect, he just said, “we aren’t talking to them no matter what they do”

Well, diplomacy has rarely been the American government’s forte, ya know? Spanish American War: USA: “Spain, agree to these demands or else” Spain: “Ok” USA: “See? Now we’re going to war!” Spain: “Lol wut?”

I think you just summed up every Civilization game I have played.

Ha. QFT. That would be the saddest thing imaginable, if Civ diplomacy ever got better than real life…

So, maybe…the Civ diplo AI is really realistic, and that’s the problem!

I’m glad we have a solid leader like Trump in charge at a time like this.

In all seriousness, I struggle to see the year end without military action by the US against NK.