The North Korea Thread

Well, Kim’s not wrong.

This is coming to a head very quickly. I fear for the lives of many people at this point.

Can someone sensible not get us all through this?

Is there anyone sensible in the White House?

No. This NYT story reports that they want to expand drone strikes to include common “foot soldier” jihadists and lower the level of vetting necessary for any strikes, as well as expand the areas where such strikes can be used. In other words, if some mid-level Pentagon or CIA type wants to wax three dudes with a Kalashnikov in, oh, Azerbaijan or Timbuktu, go for it.

Was a rhetorical question B^)

Why would North Korea agree to a nuclear deal after seeing Trump trash the Iran deal day after day. Any choice other than escalating seems irrational now.

Turns out Kim has the better words.
FeelsTrumpMan

Pretty much. Why would anyone? Every sane nation should start developing the things at this point, which ironically is akin to something Trump has said (in regard to our allies).

Trump’s solution to nuclear proliferation is… give everyone nukes and scare those who don’t have them into getting them.

DOTARD!

More like doughtard, amirite?

Heh. :)

MSN explaining to people what their language means when a non-english speaking leader uses it.

That’s the article? Just a definition. That is the most low effort reporting I think I’ve ever seen.

I was kind of hoping for a Korean/English translation of the verbal word choices and how they would interpret correctly.

It was interesting having lunch with a conservative friend of ours yesterday.

A little history:

• A former Marine, he is over 60 and very conservative, believes in the free market, seems to criticize both the right and left at various times, praises both at other times, but also takes a lot of Fox talking points at face value sometimes, which I find baffling
  • Before the primaries, he really hated that Trump was being so inflammatory against immigrants, he felt that was Un-American
  • He voted for Trump anyway, because he found Hillary abhorrent, and he had high hopes for Trump taking the country in the right direction, was really optimistic after the election
  • Next time we saw him, a few months after the election, he just looked embarrassed about Trump, saying what a nightmare he had been so far, that he was a national embarrassment.
  • Yesterday, he was super energized again about Trump. He said that “pussy Barack Obama” never had tough words to say except politically correct BS on the international stage, but Trump went in front of the UN assembly and told it like it is. He was tough, he was right about everything and he was restoring America’s might in the world again.
  • The rest of us were just kind of flummoxed by his rekindled enthusiasm.

I guess I’ll have to watch that speech that Trump gave in front of the U.N. assembly, see what got his conservative hawkish supporters so excited about him again.

I can confirm that some active military I know in the USAF and USMC were also receptive to Trump’s schoolyard bully routine. I’m not really sure why, but I tend not to get into it with them about that kind of stuff.

Talking tough, i.e. threatening to destroy an entire nation. You know chickenhawks eat that shit up (edit: chickenhawks in reference to Republicans at large, not the ex-marine specifically, of course).

Easy to read there. As a former marine and a conservative Republican he’s responding to firm military talk as a means of diplomacy. Did you ask him how he feels about the nuclear threat? Cost of lives if something were to happen? Potential loss of U.S. forces on the South Korean side?

I did ask about these points. He seemed convinced that there’s an array of plans in front of Trump that we don’t know about. Plans that involve covert efforts by the CIA perhaps. He said it was like Game Theory and that they had planned out what to do in Scenario A, B, C, D that would give Trump options 1, 2, 3, 4, and he was sure the President would choose an option with the minimal loss of lives. And we just didn’t have the information as part of the public on what those options were.

Wow. It’s so easy to gamble with millions of lives when it’s no one you care about, I guess.

Would he be so confident and gung-ho if it was his hometown in the crosshairs?