The North Korea Thread

Insert Wallace Shawn meme here.

Well ok, but I don’t know what My Dinner with Andre has to do with anything.

Wrong Andre

Like Trump cares about the lives of soldiers or anyone else other than maybe Ivanka.

Trump sounds drunk in this speech, keeps slurring his words. “Penishula”. Does he always sound this way?

He’s actually the most on script and cognizant I’ve heard him. You can tell when he strays though because he starts bragging.

Trump mentions his golf course in a vital diplomatic speech. What would be a scandalous conflict of interest is just an every day fact of American government now.

He could be seriously jet lagged. Flying to Asia will seriously screw you up for a few days, especially if you’re in poor health generally.

And maybe dementia.

Yes, this was probably one of Trump’s best speeches, low though that bar may be.

He’s always like this when he reads from a speech prepared by his handlers. It’s so obvious that he’s reading from a script, as opposed to speaking off the cuff, so to speak.

An editorial in the ruling party newspaper Rodong Sinmun focused its anger on Trump’s visit to South Korea last week, during which he denounced the North’s “cruel dictatorship” in a speech to legislators in Seoul.

The visit was part of a marathon five-nation Asia tour by the US president aimed largely at galvanising regional opposition to the North’s nuclear weapons ambitions.

“The worst crime for which he can never be pardoned is that he dared [to] malignantly hurt the dignity of the supreme leadership,” the editorial said.

“He should know that he is just a hideous criminal sentenced to death by the Korean people,” it added.

When I’m dealing with first world problems, I try to remember that some people on this planet are dealing with foot-long worms in their intestines. And if you ever feel like you’re in a hostile work environment, just remember that it’s not Panmunjom. You aren’t suddenly going to see someone get repeatedly shot in the back and have to crawl over and pull them to safety.

But seriously, this is one of those rare moments where we can get some real, undeniable evidence of what’s actually going on in North Korea. Defectors might exaggerate or be mistaken, but the worms you pull out of their guts don’t lie.

I’ve no idea why Shakira didn’t go with the first draft.

What I find interesting is that History seems to teach us that if there is one reliable factor that pushes a population to overthrow its governing entity, it is starvation. The Democratic People Republic of Korea seems to be a strange exception. Or maybe time hasn’t accelerated as much there as it has in our crazy world, making schedule comparisons irrelevant.

They probably came very close to it in the 90s, but the US and other Western Nations rushed food aid.

Maybe it works the opposite way sometimes? The peasants are so busy trying to find grubs and bark and grass to feed their kids, they don’t have time for a revolution.

Yeah, I remember that. I think the fear at that time was two-fold; humanitarian concern (innocent people starving to death) and military (a country that starved may choose to attack richer neighbors, leading to more death regardless of how successful the venture was).

Not having to living in North Korea should be at the top of everybody’s list of things to be Thankful for.

Planted a couple of trees and replaced all the soldiers who were unable to prevent the defection.