The North Korea Thread

Bold prediction:
trump will return with news that a new trump tower will be build in Pyongyang along with an agreement to sell n tons of trump steaks and trump wine. In return NK will create a DJT national holiday.

Dennis Rodman.

Yikes. After reading that Putin piece, I’m more convinced than ever:

Trump

Putin

The overriding narrative is DJT is a freaking moron, and will get played. If you want to believe he’s some kind of great statesman who will bring peace in our time, have at it.

What you are seeing now is essentially identical to what we used to criticize Clinton’s administration for.

Once again, you demonstrate that you have no principles.

How so?

They’re just gonna slap Trump’s name on the Ryugyong Hotel. It’s what he’s always been dreaming of as a monument to himself.

It seems to me that blaming Trump for replicating the failures of prior administrations is quite a bit premature at this point.

Having a sitting president meet with the head of North Korea, personally, IS A FAILURE JACKASS.

Obviously it’s not a failure if it leads to something constructive.

You know, Timex, you really make it hard not to sink into namecalling, but I refuse to sink to your level…yet.

It’s worth a wait-and-see on this one. I’m also skeptical as hell that these talks would lead to a de-nuclearized NK, but I suppose it’s possible they want to join civilization. At the very least, the danger of an actual conflict breaking out seems much reduced in the short term.

Yes, North Korea has proven to be so reliable in the past.

I gave you the benefit of the doubt far longer than you deserved, or than anyone else did. But you demonstrated that you are nothing but a partisan hack. You have no actual principles. You stand for literally NOTHING. This is why I am so utterly disgusted by you.

I will no longer engage you at all.

Please stick with this. People keep saying this, yet somehow it still keeps happening.

There really needs to be a mute or ignore function in Discourse

And what’s amazingly bad here is that even if someone somehow convinces Trump of how obviously bad a mistake this would be, it plays out poorly for the US anyway if he doesn’t do what he said, because it just further reinforces the impression that no one in the world can Trust anything that Trump says.

Although maybe that bridge is already crossed and burned down and exploded, since Trump’s honesty level hit zero before he even got elected.

Arrendek has a great script, with the minor caveat that it doesn’t work on mobile. It’s one of the posts in Hardware.

It’s absolutely terrifying to me that I have to put my trust in a person like Donald Trump to navigate this complicated situation. All we can do is hope Trump somehow accidentally avoids a terrible situation. Even the shittiest poker player in a world can win a hand with luck once in awhile. If I’m optimistic maybe somehow the cards can fall in place and he won’t fuck up this one thing.

I feel totally blind with absolutely zero trust in anything Trump would report about the contents of the meeting, which also feels terrible. The man started lying day 1 in the most egregious ways and now I have to try and hope he doesn’t lie to us this one time. Fuck.

Pretty much where I am, though I worry when they actually meet, two egos that large in one place might be a problem.

This. Stop engaging with the deplorable. We criticise our own leaders but far be it for deplorables to do the same. They wish to remain aggressively uninformed.