The North Korea Thread

There’s always one

David Dennison would never go with Rodman, because he knows Rodman is his intellectual superior.

Let’s not forget that the North Koreans did promise something. They’ve promised to denuclearize,” Sanders told reporters. “They’ve promised to stop nuclear and missile testing and they’ve recognized that we’re going to continue in our military exercises.”
Sanders disputed the assertion that a summit between Kim and Trump would take place without major concessions from North Korea on its weapons program.
“Let’s be very clear, the United States has made zero concessions but North Korea has made some promises,” she added, “and again, this meeting won’t take place without concrete actions that match the promises that have been made by North Korea

Makes no sense to me. Refraining from doing something is not a “concrete action”. Also, not firing off missiles hardly qualifies as any sort of effort to “denuclearize”

No, it makes sense. The Koreans have promised to do this so we should definitely trust them. Like the President promised to release his taxes, sign the bi-partisan DACA bill, etc. You can’t just call mulligan on a promise like that.

But of course…

Trump should announce that there will be a 25% tariff on any NK missiles being sent to the US.
That will deter them.

I interpreted what she said completely differently than they did. I read it as “concessions? Of course we are getting concessions. This administration gets the biggest concessions. They have to take concrete action, you know, like not shooting any missiles around”

Imagine trying to make a deal with Trump, given his history and reputation. I wouldn’t believe a word he said if it wasn’t repeated by Mattis.

Hard to believe anything from anyone in our government when the president might refuse to sign an agreement that has everything he asked for.

Speaking of Mattis, I learned on PBS today, that neither Mattis nor JCS General Dunford were consulted before accepting the North offer. What the hell is the point of having this very experienced General if you aren’t going to at least get their opinion.

Because everyone in the White House knows this meeting will never take place, and it just a publicity stunt to get Trump some good press for a day.

If only the press would scream about the failed meeting plan as loudly as they praised Trump yesterday.

Because he’s smarter than all the generals, duh.

I think we can count on CNN, and MSNBC to yell if the meeting doesn’t happen, and everybody but Fox to ask lots of tough questions (which will be ignored) if NK launches a missile or does another nuclear test.

Edit: oh look what Trump just tweeted.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/972542173030879233

You can count on the tweet being retweeted when the meeting doesn’t happen and North Korea does something bad.

Yeah, but it will be like DACA, gun control and all the other Big Giant Bipartisan Promises he makes to drive a news cycle. They slowly fade into nothing, but ‘slowly fading’ is a process, not an event. Slowly fading doesn’t drive a news cycle the way the next Big Giant Pile of Bullshit event will, or the one after that, etc.

I still think he is best understood as a talented reality TV producer, not as a shitty president. He’s about 24-7 drama, suspense and newsworthy noise, not government.

How kind and generous of him. Maybe if we ask Kim nicely, he’ll also let us continue celebrating the Fourth of July as well.

One of the biggest criticisms of Obama by the far right was that he gave too much respect to tyrants and dictators.

But again, we see that criticism was based in no real principles.

Literally nothing matters to them besides partisanship. The only thing which determines whether an action is good or bad is who did it, regardless of the action itself.

I’d argue that if they do hold the joint exercises and there’s no brimstone rhetoric and no missiles fired off, that’s actually an accomplishment, albeit a small one.

True enough. And, in Obama’s defense (and truly, while I like the guy his foreign policy was my least favorite part of his administration, for a variety of reasons), at least when his people dealt with the bad guys, they had a plan, and a reasonable set of expectations, whether one agrees entirely with their approach or not. Here, we have…nada. Zip. Zilch.

Yeah, that’s definitely my concern.