The North Korea Thread

I’ve seen it mentioned a few places, though it’s possible they’re all referencing this article.

Well, the goals of the North Korean leadership, insofar as I can tell, which may well be totally off base, is survival, one, and power, two. I seriously doubt they still have any serious interest in forcible unification a la Kim Il-sung, nor do think they are seriously interested in any sort of big power plays vis a vis the USA. At this point, the Kims are a clan of very well armed thugs looking for maximum booty.

But their entire powerbase is predicated on the idea that the United States and South Korea want to and will kill and literally eat their populace. You can’t just turn that off and say, “Now we’re gonna be friendly neighbors.”

I’m betting any sort of “agreement” involves the US leaving forever.

Shitgibbon made a big deal of giving a peace deal “his blessing”.

Asshat. You don’t say that. You say that it has the support of the United States.

Exactly…so they can’t have the US leave, or where is there justification for their juche and their whole paranoid system? Their goal is to pretty much keep the status quo going as long as they can.

So i guess he’s just acting like SecState, despite not actually being confirmed.

Man, he just followed Trump’s instructions to personally broker peace between North and South Korea for the first time in 68 years. Cut the man some slack.

Wait, wait. Our CIA Director went to North Korea? Doesn’t that break a shitload of protocols?

I’m just relieved it wasn’t Ivanka.

I know that the new South Korean administration and populace really don’t like Trump. In the most optimistic possible scenario I wonder if their mutual dislike will lower tensions with the North.

Why is so different than Nixon sending his National Security Adviser, Henry Kissinger for a secret meeting with China?. Definitely better than Ivanka or Jared.

Yeah, I’m happy he didn’t send someone from his family at this point.

Not that it matters. There is no way that NK is going to suddenly be friendly to everyone.

We’ve been through this before with the “Sunshine Policy” the last time the left were in power in South Korea. They paid a lot of money to the North and in exchange they got some nice pleasant words, but nothing tangible. I’d be surprised if Kim Jong Eun turns out to be any more sincere than his father.

Sending Pompeo is different because unlike, say, a national security adviser, who is a political appointee pure and simple and who works directly for the current president (and thus could be seen in a minister at large sort of role), the DCI is in charge of an organization intended to provide intelligence support to the nation’s decision makers, whomever they may be. While also an appointee,and ultimately responsible to the president, the DCI’s primary mission is to lead the CIA to support national intelligence requirements. Sending someone like that to do diplomatic negotiations erodes the line between service and advocacy, between supporting policy decisions and making the. I don’t want the DCI making our national diplomatic policy decisions any more than I do the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs doing it.

I hate Trump, but credit where it is due. Not sure how much his policy had to do with it, but it seems he handled it correctly. Of course when I see it I will believe it.

Maybe the only person an untrustworthy, spoiled, childish fuck will believe is another untrustworthy, spoiled, childish fuck. In which case we’ve been dealing with the Norks incorrectly for decades.

Am I a bad person for hoping it’s bullshit because I don’t want Trump to get credit for it. That preening narcissistic scumbag will milk it so very much.

On one hand, I don’t want things to continue the way they are in North Korea. On the other hand, spun right, this would get people to turn and even bigger, blinder eye to Trump’s idiocy, re-examine their opinion of his ‘methods’, take his ideas more seriously, and ultimately help him get re-elected (in a reality where the Mueller investigation doesn’t pan out the way many hope it will). And I don’t want that either.

If it works out, then it’s good.

But it’s almost certainly just a ploy like they did in the 1990s to get relief from some of the sanctions.

If the condition of the soldier that defected is any kind of measure, things there are atrociously bad. So I could see that.