The NS-5

Ok. I’ve seen the ad for this thing in the theatre enough to have ask about it.

Now, I’m guessing that it’s a movie, using a clever marketing campaign (and hence why it’s only shown in theatres), but maybe it is real?

Anyone?

http://www.irobotnow.com/index.php

No.

It’s promotional for the upcoming Will Smith movie based on Clarke’s I Robot. No, that’s not a typo. No, I’m not on drugs.

I’m guessing I, Robot.

I prefer Asimov’s version, though.

It was one of those old farts.

Actually, I prefer Atari’s version.

Wow. At least I was nerdy enough to question.

The really stupid people must be running for their lives!

The 3 Laws thing kinda gave it away, I saw that in the Nerd Test.

Btw, when will we have real robots, and what are the book(s?) like? About?

You saw the three laws of robotics in the nerd test. That’s just great. I guess they just don’t make nerds like they used to…

Answer to the first question: I suppose it depends on what you mean by “real” robots.

Second question: The books started as short stories. The first book, “I, Robot” was an anthology of Asimov’s robot stories that had been published in sci-fi magazines, like Astounding Science Fiction. Most of the stories in it had something to do with one or more of the three laws. The anthology appeared around 1950. Later in the '50s Asimov wrote two robot novels, The Caves of Steel and The Naked Sun. These were actually detective stories with the principal characters being an agoraphobic human detective, Lije Bailey, and his robot partner, R. Daneel Olivaw. Asimov didn’t revisit the robot novels until the '80s, with The Robots of Dawn, also involving the same two characters. With Robots of Dawn, Asimov started bringing the Foundation novels, the galactic empire novels, and the robot novels together. It was in this last cycle of books, which ended with Foundation and Earth, that we learn that Olivaw is something more than a robot and it’s where the “zeroeth” law of robotics mentioned in the nerd test was introduced. OK, is that a nerdy enough answer?

You saw the three laws of robotics in the nerd test. That’s just great. I guess they just don’t make nerds like they used to…[/quote]

Today’s nerd’s are just lazier. Sure, I could try to actually place D&D, but, meh, I’ll just play Tony Hawk PS instead.

And the only sci-fo book I think I’ve ever read is Ender’s Game.

Jesus wept.

I read fiction, but it’s crap of the crop stuff, apparently.

Oh, so you’re only a casual gamer.

Oh, so you’re only a casual gamer.[/quote]

Hey, I frickin’ played moo3. And Rails Across America.

But see here:

Me playing Europa Universalis.

Me playing Rachet and Clank.

Btw, Rachet and Clank, I think, is one of the best games ever made. You can’t get bored with it because the game presents something new to you every 10 minutes.

So… you’re a casual gamer and sometimes masochist? :wink:

(nice explanatory images, btw!)

Ok, bad example.

But you get the point. Especially with the pictures.

I was just funnin’ you anyway – the whole “casual” vs “serious” gamer thing is ludicrous; for those who keep score anyway, I dare say that merely even knowing this board exists gets you your serious gamer merit badge. Actually POSTING here is another level altogether.

I don’t even want to think about where that puts Tyjenks and McCullough.