The Oblivion Torture Prison Mod

You guys know there was something similar (but I’m guessing much less advanced) in the Shivering Isles expansion, right?

As long as there are no Mods to make adults look like children.

Yeah, but how would the NMA crowd respond to that?

OK, so there is vile stuff for Oblivion.

So which one of you here doesn’t have some deviant fantasy? (No, please keep your hand down, Tom). I really don’t want to know what it is, thank you, but I think it’s safe to say that everybody here, and everybody in general, has something in them that deviates from the norm, safely locked up in fantasy land.

Of course, some folks have the need to let the monsters out of their closets. I’m pretty ambivelent about that.

quit projecting

shit, Charles, programmers are the worst

WTF…

So how many of you think this is a good idea? In the thread Jason linked, there are a bunch of people expressing their eagerness for this mod to be finished.

I am sorry, but I find this entire idea completely unacceptable. I bet if it was some kind of ‘sex’ dungeon, it would not be on the official site. We can’t show you naked people, but torture? Have all you want, its on the house.

Um, me? If by deviant you mean, “Raping/mutilating/otherwise hurting people,” then I’d pretty safely throw myself in the camp of not having them.

Unless you’re talking about occasionally wanting to punch someone who cuts me off on the freeway, but I think that is a bit different than what you are discussing here.

There was a certain companion mod for Morrowind that after I downloaded it, turned out you could order your companions to do all KINDS of things. Some parts were cool, but some was a bit much, especially complete with sound effects and early 90s “fade to black” screens. No torturing though, thankfully.

Yeah, becauses gamers playing make believe is wierd, scary and dangerous. Let’s play to the fears by reacting this way, good idea!

Who said anything about fear? However, in the ‘spirit’ of what you just said, I suppose any of the following would be perfectly acceptable:

1. Child Rape simulator. You run a studio that kidnaps children and forces them to perform on camera. When your audience is bored, the kid get to star in a ‘snuff’ film.

2. Nazi Empire: You get to be Hitler. You score points by getting as many Jews to the furnaces as possible before ‘the man’ gets you.

3. Jesus gay sex simulator. Jesus is one kinky mo-fo, can you continue to get him off? Orgies of biblical proportions will be needed to make it through the final levels, maybe even a few well endowed farm animals too.

4. Pharmaceutical Explorer: You invent amazing wonder drugs. Only you need animals to test them on. Usually this results in some horrific, slow, painful death of some creature. Sometimes that isn’t enough so your agents kidnap homeless people and the occasional minority to experiment on.

Hey, its all ‘just pretend’ so why not?

Child rape hyperbole aside (which may have legality issues anyway, and that’s a whole seperate discussion)…Like in that old Rome simulator where you could have the gladiators fight, and then give the thumbs up/down on if the loser was to be killed? Or Smash TV, which involved you killing as much as possible to stay alive on a GAME SHOW?

1. Nazi Empire: You get to be Hitler. You score points by getting as many Jews to the furnaces as possible before ‘the man’ gets you.

Like GTA, where you can score points and make money by killing as many people as possible before ‘the man’ gets you?

1. Jesus gay sex simulator. Jesus is one kinky mo-fo, can you continue to get him off? Orgies of biblical proportions will be needed to make it through the final levels, maybe even a few well endowed farm animals too.

Isn’t there like a whole sub-culture of H-games?

1. Pharmaceutical Explorer: You invent amazing wonder drugs. Only you need animals to test them on. Usually this results in some horrific, slow, painful death of some creature. Sometimes that isn’t enough so your agents kidnap homeless people and the occasional minority to experiment on.

So Deer Hunter is okay, and killing all kinds of wildlife in WoW (or any mmo) is okay, but animal testing would be over the line? It’s okay to kill any “monster” that comes across your path to kill the “evil” bad guy, but torture is OMGWTFBBQ! over the line? You’re off your nut, dude.

Here’s an idea: Don’t download or install the mod if you don’t like the subject matter.

Quite.

Oblivion already has a torture dungeon: The Sanctum of Vivsection level of Xaselm (in the Shivering Isles expansion).

Peter

I mentioned this earlier in the thread and nobody seemed to care.

What’s wrong with role-playing a torturer?

Haven’t played SI yet! Does it let you torture them?

I suppose it is like this:

I have a very low opinion of humanity. If I were in a position to stay the proverbial executioner’s hand, I am not sure I would. I do not like having this opinion of humanity. When I see stuff like this, where people gain pleasure watching other people suffer (even if it is ‘just pretend’) this pushes me even more into “Let them all die, they are not worth saving.” camp.

While you may cause suffering and death in many games, that isn’t the point of the game. IE: A first person shooter where you are taking out some terrorists. Your goal may be to try and stop them from planting a bomb or killing some hostages and to do that you must gun them down. The point is to stop the bomb or protect the hostages, not just to cause un-do pain and suffering for its own sake.

Finally, I find it a completely absurd commentary on our culture where sexual acts, which are fundamentally about pleasure, are verboten, where as torture is perfectly ok.

The difference between this mod, and the long list of violent “regular gaming experiences” (Smash TV, etc.) is in what it portrays, or more to the point, what the people who design and play the mod enjoy. A game like Smash TV is mostly about the action, about dodging around the enemies and shooting them to stay alive. There’s this comedic, over-the-top violence to it, but I don’t think anybody would say that people are playing Smash TV because they enjoy the thought of causing pain to the enemy sprites. Even if you move into the realm of more realistic violence, there are some works – lots of movies, for example – that use realistic violence or torture to make a point.

But then there are games (and movies) that are using torture and violence not to make some larger point, but rather just because the makers and viewers get off on the idea of torturing someone. This mod, from its description (I haven’t played it), is pretty clearly in that camp. The torture isn’t used to make some point; the torture is the point. The fact that some people like torture so much that they want to simulate torturing another person as realistically as possible is disturbing. The people who make mods like that and the people who enjoy them are disturbing. That movie review from Gideongamer linked above is disturbing.

What is up with that? Some guy says “I fantasize about torturing fellow humans to death” and you get all these people defending him. “Ha ha! Who hasn’t?” Weird.

You should put on a purple hooded robe, become the angel of death, and go out and shoot people randomly. I’m totally serious, you should do it.