The October 2015 Horror roundup thread

I watched this last night. For the first 15 minutes, I thought I was going to have to turn it off. But then the lead character whipped out that sandwich and I felt compelled to find out if he would ever finish it. After about 45 minutes, the plot started to kick in though and it became much better. I was actually curious as to where they were going to go with it. Plus, I was ultimately rewarded with even more sandwich eating at the very end.

This movie is far funnier than it has any right to be. I chalk it up to a really good comedic cast. I found myself actually disappointed when the vampires appeared (except for the janitor and his hilarious disappointment that no one realized he’d actually become one early in the film) as the characters and their office dealings were entertaining as hell. I laughed out loud more than once at this one.

Well, that was the dream anyway.

Been watching some horror movies on Netflix this month. Here are my mini-reviews

Lazarus Effect - Meh. Didn’t hate it.
Starry Eyes - Decent body horror. I think Contracted did that better though.
Pontypool - Interesting take on a zombie outbreak. Took a little while to get into it though.
Red Lights - nice cast. Loved the first 3/4’s of this. Completely falls apart at the end. Worth a watch though. Probably not a horror movie, now that I think about it, but this is my post so I’ll allow it :).

I just watched The Hallow - I don’t think it was as bad as the front page would have you believe. Was it a ‘by the numbers’ horror? Sure, but it delivered on my expectations. Some decent creepiness / scares. I actually quite liked the setting the most.

Surely, I can’t be the only one who’s seen Bone Tomahawk? It’s not traditional at all, but it’s certainly appropriate for this thread.

-Tom

I’ve got a Halloween game day scheduled for Saturday, ending in a showing of Bone Tomahawk. Looking forward to pumpkin beer and Kurt Russell in a stetson.

I too am anxious to find time to watch Bone Tomahawk this week. I know I won’t be able to get my wife to watch with me so I’ve got to sacrifice late night game time for it, my own puny Sophie’s choice.

Howl (2015) - This is a very solid werewolf movie. Definitely worth watching. A nice surprise really in my latest string of horror movies.

Watched the new Paranormal Activity. It’s sooooooo beyond stupid. Great gouts of the movie don’t even make sense. The use of CG instead of practical effects makes it feel too fakey. Then they spring everything on you at the end and every moment is a deja vu of a confused WTF strand of thought emanating from your brain again and again.

— Alan

That, as far as I can tell, won’t be available in North America until 2016. :( While Googling info on Howl’s availability, I found this awesome image:

Cool!

Ha ha, you saw Paranormal etc., etc., etc. :)

I’d love to hear more about it. What do they need CG for? Isn’t a lack of effects a hallmark of the Paranormal Activity series? Is there any effort to tie it into the existing mythology (haw haw)?

-Tom

Do you want me to spoil it or just be a little generic?

As to why… it was a date movie. Yes we both knew it would be bad.

— Alan

Spoil it, spoil it! In as much detail as you can muster. I have no intention of ever seeing this, so I intend to enjoy it vicariously through you!

-Tom

Saw Bone Tomahawk today. Really well done. That one scene, you’ll know when you see it, made me cross my legs.

Hoping to watch Bone Tomahawk this weekend myself.

It’s odd that it’s not playing in any theater in Chicago. You’d think at least one of the independents or larger theaters that devote one or more screens to small run films would at least have it.

Old 37 (2015) - Actually not bad. Takes a while to get going, but it’s a slasher / schlock movie. If you like stuff like See No Evil, you’ll like this. Not bad production values even if it is full of stupid teenagers.

The Diabolical (2015) - I don’t know where I stand on this one. I almost gave up on it due to bad acting / production values, but…I stuck with it and the twist almost made it worthwhile. Hard to say if this is a ‘must watch’, but overall, I enjoyed it…I think.

I’m still trying to decide what to watch tomorrow night in honour of the evening, but I think I’m going to go with Event Horizon and Poltergeist (remake because I haven’t finished watching it yet).

What the what? Cabin in the Woods isn’t on Netflix anymore? What kind of a world is this?

If you have HBO I stumbled onto the last half of Trick R Treat last night on one of the HBOs. We were a big fan of in last year’s October Halloween movie thingy. Dunno if it’s available on demand via HBO go or the cable channels. I hope it enters the regular rotiation.

Huh. Pontypool. It really felt like they had an interesting idea (actually, a couple), then completely failed to find a way to write a story around it.

Okay so Paranormal Activity: Ghost Dimension. Supposedly this is the “last one” but I can imagine if it made any amount of money there will be more. The problem is that this movie is truly awful. A new family, the Fleeges (what kind of name is that?) are in a big home up in Santa Rosa. I want to say they’ve been living there for a few years, but for some reason just randomly find this box in their garage that has this old school big-ass VHS camera and a bunch of VHS tapes. The family (husband, his brother, wife, her sister and the daughter) gets a little bit of setup, then of course the dad starts messing around with the camera.

He quickly discovers that the camera has been modified and along with the usual stuff sees particles of black dust or mist floating around certain parts of the house. This is the established tactic for “seeing” all of the ghost activity throughout the movie, which I guess is a semi-clever way of requiring the use of a camera (though not quite all of the footage is with this camera as things transpire). Of course the black mist is CG, and I imagine this would have been a bit more scary in 3D, but yeah it just looks a bit amateurish and fakey.

As it turns out, the cult who raised the sisters Kristie and Katie from the previous movies actually sold the house to the family apparently in order to summon a demon utilizing their daughter. Inexplicably, the cult just happened to leave behind a special ghost-seeing camera and tapes of the sisters during seances/sessions/etc. in which they are describing events from their future–ie. the father in his room watching the tapes. Of course, as soon as they start seeing the black mist with the camera, shit starts to go down. The black mist grows in power and take some human form and push people around and stuff, and over the course of a few nights things get progressively worse, but not like… people getting really hurt violent.

Then they bring in the priest. Priests are universally useless in these movies and either appear to provide exposition and quickly vanish or try to do something and rapidly get killed. This guy was kinda both. He basically explains its a demon and tries to do stuff with holy water. Eh. Then he leaves and stuff happens where they flee the house. The daughter also manages to write a door-shaped outline of symbols above her bed. The parents are understandably freaked out, but their only action is to remember that they saw the symbols somewhere before. It doesn’t occur to anyone to, I dunno, wipe off the wall or something.

Of course through circumstances they wind up going back to the house with the priest where they will attempt to expel the demon or something by capturing him in a circle. The demon arrives and gets trapped in the circle in what is I guess an okay sequence. They throw a blanket on top and the outline is there, and it seems like the demon collapses and dies. Everything is calm for a few seconds, then rapidly everyone but the wife and daughter are killed. Seriously. The priest gets thrown through a window. The sister sprouts veins on her head and then vomits acid all over the brother. Husband tries to run and the mist suddenly punches through his chest.

It’s such a weird ramped up orgy of violence. Compared to the first PA, you have this slow controlled ramp that progressively gets violent but you see it progressing this way. In Ghost Dimension, people are scared and fall over or stuff, but it goes to 11 just like that.

Finally, the daughter separates from the mother and the door-shaped display of symbols above her bed is of course now a doorway into… I dunno. I would say ghost dimension but… well, the mother follows eventually and winds up… in a room full of young girls, a lot like the place on the video tapes. She finds the daughter, but then the demon comes. She drops the camera so you only see his legs and her, and then of course he picks her up and chokes/kills her, takes the daughter away and… the end.

I think I forgot to mention the dimensional door thing opened previously, the daughter went inside and they found her back in the house a few hours later or something. There are a couple of other stupid things.

I mean, the movie was just … insipid. There’s not a lot going for it, and all of the characters are fundamentally stupid beyond all belief.

— Alan