The Oops I did it again-thread: sale damage 2013

Since noone has gotten around to it it yet, I might as well start it, right? What did you buy in the latest Steamsale and, to make it more then just a list, what do you think of it sofar?

My list:

- Need for Speed Hot Pursuit. Bought this in frustration after several days without anything on my wishlist getting a sale, and I regret it already. Maybe if I get my LogitechG27 set up correctly it might be salvaged, but if not: wrong choice.
- Fallout 2: again: nothing good had come up yet and it was almost for free. But still… I played a few minutes and I’m having a really hard time seeing through the dated graphics. Should I shoulder on? Otherwise: second mistake. But things get better after this!
- Dishonered. Haven’t tried it yet, but I don’t doubt I will like it.
- State of decay. Again, not installed yet, but I don’t doubt I’ll get my money’s worth
- The incredible adventures of Van Helsing: biggest surpirse sofar, in a good way! Heard good things about it, and rightly so: very nice game in a nice setting that does a lot of things right! Loot, humour, several nice interface options (and, admittingly, some bad ones…). 21 hours so far, and great fun!

• Don’t starve: played through one night, and will definitely be back!
    - Dirt 3: not installed yet, but judging from youtube it is possible to get good control with a G27, so I’m sure I will like it!
    - World of Goo: for €0,89 I just have to see why everyone liked this game!
    - Brothers: impuls buy. But I have a brother, so we’ll see…
    - Civ 5 Brave new world: again: no doubt I will like this
    and last but not least:
    - Xcom Enemy Within: This was the one I really wanted, and I got it yesterday, at last. About 11 hours sofar, and I think it’s great! So many new choices to make! New gear, handgrenades, upgrades, and I haven’t even build the foundry yet! Maybe not that many new maps, but the ones I’ve seen sofar are interesting, with lots of height-options. And new bits of story that are fun to play through, at least the first time.

All in all about €75,-, and the only thing I didn’t get from the top of my wishlist was Expeditions: Conquistador. But I’m sure it will have been on sale by the time I finish all the above games…

Dishonored
Dragon Age: Origins The Ultimate Edition (bought for the DLC basically)
Assassin’s Creed 3
System Shock 2
Dark Souls The Prepare to Die Edition
Bioshock Infinite

I don’t think any of these cost me over $10.

More like…the damage is done, I guess I’ll be leaving.

I consider Amazon and GMG deals part of the Steam winter sale, mostly because the keys register on Steam. :)

And this is everything I’ve bought and registered on Steam since the start of the sale. There was a indie game bundle in there somewhere also. Just a little over $160 spent , I think…

Indie Game: The Movie Special Edition DLC
Dungeon of the Endless - Founder Pack
Two Worlds II Pirate DLC
Two Worlds 2 Comp
Two Worlds Epic Edition
Septerra Core
Enclave
Gorky 17
Vox
Signal Ops
Particulars
Contrast
XCOM: Enemy Within
Mark of the Ninja: Special Edition DLC
Stonehearth pre-release
Teleglitch Guns and Tunes DLC
PixelJunk Eden
Starpoint Gemini Timbreach DLC
Starpoint Gemini 2 - Alpha
Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians
Long Live The Queen
English Country Tune
Sins: Rebellion Stellar Phenomena DLC
Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons
Evoland
Gunpoint: Special Edition Extras
PixelJunk Monsters Ultimate + Shooter Bundle
Borderlands 2 Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack 2
Expeditions: Conquistador Retail
Sword of the Stars: The Pit - Gold Edition
Teleglitch: Base Game
Don’t Starve Soundtrack
Dungeon Defenders Collection (Summer-Winter 2012)
Anno 2070 Complete Edition
Wargame: Airland Battle
Cook, Serve, Delicious!
Thief II
Thief Deadly Shadows
Thief Gold
Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director’s Cut
Contagion
Pinball FX2 - Ms Splosion Man Table Steam Store and Retail Key
Pinball FX2 - 249122
Pinball FX2 - Captain America Table
Pinball FX2 - Civil War Table
Pinball FX2 - Excalibur Table
Pinball FX2 - Mars Table
Pinball FX2 - Fantastic Four Table
Pinball FX2 - Marvel Pinball Vengeance and Virtue Pack
Super Hexagon 2-Pack
Gnomoria
Rise of the Triad
Remember Me
Sid Meier’s Ace Patrol: Pacific Skies
Sid Meier’s Ace Patrol
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Ultimate Edition
Legend of Dungeon
Guacamelee! Gold Edition
Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller Season Pass
Gateways
Driftmoon
Draw A Stickman: EPIC
Blood of the Werewolf
9.03m
Gyromancer Comp
Darkout
Batman: Arkham Origins - Season Pass
Aliens: Colonial Marines

Doing most of my buying during the three Steam holiday sales , it looks like I spent around $200 less this year overall compared to last year.

Not much this time around:

Brothers
Delver, an interesting little pixel-art 3d rogue-like that’s still in early access
Age of Wonders trilogy pack (I’m jonesing for AOW3 and I’ve never played Shadow Magic …)
Wizardry 6/7/8 pack. I already have all of these ;) but it’s definitely worth $3.50 to get cloud backup copies.

I got the Wizardry pack, bought Spelunky for 3 lucky friends, ToME, Avadon 2, Craft the World, and Aarklash Legacy. I’ve put some time into Avadon 2 and it’s solid but is wearing a bit thin here around the 18th hour or so. Aarklash is fun but unfuriatingly difficult so I may start over on Easy. Craft the World is very cool and I’m eager to dive in when it’s finished. Wizardry 8 and ToME are amazing, of course. All in all, I feel like it was a good haul.

Oh god, someone needed to stop me, but I built a new PC and so could run ALL THE THINGS and so wanted to buy ALL THE THINGS:

Shadow Warrior
A ton of Crusader Kings II DLC
A ton of Shogun 2 DLC
Risk of Rain
A ton of Sleeping Dogs DLC
Age of Empires III
Legend of Dungeon
Dragon Age: Origins - Ultimate Edition
SteamWorld Dig
Tomb Raider
Celebrat10n TrackMania2 Pack
Anno 2070 Deep Ocean and DLC
A ton of Fallen Enchantress DLC
Tropico IV and all of its DLC

Sheesus…

Fairly nice haul of goodies this season. These were all Steam codes apart from Anno:

Steam
Assetto Corsa $30 - The best driving feel of any game I’ve ever played. Full release cannot come soon enough.
7 Days to Die $29.74 - Fantastic so far, 8 hours in and it’s solid and fun. Hope they hit their ambitious scope.
Blackguards $12.49 - Really like this one, the most complete ‘early access’ game I think I’ve seen, with the chapters being added at a furious pace (1 left to come in a few weeks). Squad level turn based tactical RPG, love it.
Craft the World $10.04 - Promising DF-lite-like, the pathing AI is quite frustrating but looking forward to revisiting it after a few more updates.
The Stanley Parable $8.99 - Overhyped, glad I didn’t pay full price. Played through all the stories but was glad when it was over.
Steamworld Dig $7.49 - Yeah kind of entertaining but ultimately I feel it’s a bit basic for my tastes.
Don’t Starve $5.09 - Not sure about this, haven’t put much time into it.
Papers, Please $4.99 - Awesome.
Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons $4.49 - Heard good things, haven’t played it yet.

GMG
Sonic & All-stars Racing Transformed $4 - If I’m going to play an arcade racer, it has to be really arcadey. And this is.

Groupees
Driftmoon, Gateways, QUBE $1.50 - Mainly for Driftmoon, still waiting for it to pop up on Steam until I start playing.

Gamersgate
Sword of the Stars The Pit “Gold Edition” DLC $0.00/$0.75 - Absolute steal for the extra stuff it adds, esp. since I used up some blue coins so it was basically free - I need to play this more.

Amazon
F1 2013 Classic Edition $22.09 - After playing Assetto Corsa, I tried this and it’s pretty disappointing.
Sacred 2 Gold $5 - My discs broke and I wanted a digital version. Not sure I’ll ever play it again but you never know…
Anno 2070 Deep Ocean DLC $4.99 - Waited a long time for this to hit a low enough price, and this year it did.
XCOM Enemy Within expansion $4.99 - Thanks to a $5 credit from Amazon, this certainly beats the $50 retail price they want for it in Australia. :)

Grand total of USD155.89 which is about $175 in our Monopoly money.

Skyrim super mega edition (whatever it’s called) because I didn’t have the DLC and it was cheaper that way.

Eldrich, which I haven’t played yet but looks pretty fun.

BlackGuards, really fun tactical RPG.

Injustice: Gods Among Us, so far not as good as Mortal Kombat, but not bad either.

I had been saving up for this sale for a while:

Prince of Persia - not played yet
Nether - Watcher - not played yet
Rayman Legends - not played yet
Valdis Story: Abyssal City - not played yet
7 Days to Die - played 20 minutes. Seems ok, but too soon to tell.
Magic 2014 - Duels of the Planeswalkers - not played yet
3079 – Block Action RPG - Started 1 game, but got completely confused, realized I need to watch some Let’s Plays before continuing.
The Swapper - Played for a while. Good game, decent puzzles.
Gunpoint - Played a couple of hours. Looking forward to more of this one.
Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons - not played yet
War For The Overworld Standard Edition - Played 10 minutes. This is a spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper. It’s early access now, so I’m going to let it stew for a while until it’s closer to done
Castlestorm Complete Edition - not played yet
Gone Home - not played yet. Probably should have before voting for my top 5 but I just haven’t gotten to it yet.
The Stanley Parable - not played yet, and likewise with Gone Home for missing out on it before voting.
Papers, Please - Awesome game. I’ve played over 20 hours already and really enjoy it. Made my top 5 list.
Hotline Miami - not played yet
Guacamelee! Gold Edition - Played 30 minutes. Looking forward to more.
Payday: The Heist - not played yet
Command and Conquer: Red Alert 3 - not played yet
Cities XL Platinum - Played through the tutorials, not sure I’ll go back to play it more. It’s ok but lacking something.
Brutal Legend - not played yet
Reus - Played the first few levels. It’s not grabbing me, so will probably shelf it.
Trine 2: Complete Story - Played an hour. I liked the first one, and this one seems pretty good. Will get back to it later.
Final Fantasy VII - not played yet

I spent a bit more than I had anticipated, but not by much, and I took advantage of the extra holiday gaming time to justify the new additions.

XCOM: Enemy Within - ($15) Played a complete EW game, definitely an upgrade over vanilla.
Payday 2 - ($14) Played a lot of this over the holidays, looking forward to multiplayer with friends throughout the year.
Wargame: Airland Battle - ($11) A bit of an impulse purchase, but comes recommended. Played the tutorials.
Deus Ex: HR Director’s Cut - ($5) I was 1/3 through the vanilla game, which was gifted to me during the last sale.
Mark of the Ninja: Special Edition - ($1) I played a good amount of the vanilla version and the DLC was cheap.

Just three for me, and two of them were planned. All purchased using Steambucks.

Electronic Super Joy ($0.79): Played a little while I waited for its card drops (which gave me nearly as much as I paid for the game). Fun stuff, but I’ll need to install it on my desktop; it stutters a bit on my laptop.
Long Live The Queen ($4.99): Haven’t played at all yet, but I got my card drops (and got a little over a dollar back). Looking forward to sitting down with it during my backlog-clearing visual novel marathon in a couple of months.
Valdis Story ($3.74): Played it for about eight hours last night. I was willing to pay $5 after trying the demo, so I was glad to see it even cheaper. Neat exploratory platformer, and I’ll definitely finish it (maybe even as multiple characters), but it’s got some issues that keep me from recommending it for more than ~$7 or so.

6 Pinball FX2 tables ($14)
Anno 2070 Complete ($12.50)
Dark Souls ($6)
Spelunky ($3.75)
World of Goo ($1)
Giana Sisters Bundle ($2.50)
Wizardry 6, 7 & 8 ($2.25)
[B]Alan Wake Bundle /B
Legend of Grimrock ($3)

So, about $50 total. Coulda been much worse…

I spent more than I planned as well, but I don’t feel to badly about it since I rarely purchase stuff outside of sales nowadays.

Company of Heroes 2 - Bought because some friends can probably be counted on to do multiplayer.

Spacebase DF-9 - I’ve never bought an early-access game before, but it was on sale (which still strikes me as weird) and I’ve already more than gotten my money’s worth; really looking forward to seeing what they do with it.

Euro Truck Simulator 2 Going East – at about $2 this was a no-brainer; I love this silly game.

Brothers - Heard so much about it I decided to pick it up; haven’t played yet.
Anno 2070 - This had been in my wishlist since forever. The UPlay nonsense is annoying, but I’ve enjoyed what I’ve played so far.

Typing of the Dead: Overkill - a pleasant surprise. I thought I would get a couple hours of silly fun out of it while incidentally honing my typing skills. I never dreamed that my (normally zombie-averse) wife would play it incessantly for most of her winter break. A ludicrously good value considering the hours we’ve already jointly put in.

Walking Dead Season 2 - Duh. I adored the first season. Haven’t played yet though.

Need For Speed: Shift - I got a Logitech G27 as a gift and I want to teach my eldest how to drive stick. Euro Truck could kind of do it, but not too well, so I decided to buy some car-centric driving game. Test Drive 2 was my first choice, but they ran out of keys.

I also tend to use the Steam Sale to buy holiday gifts for my friends, so I also picked up:
Crusader Kings II
Torchlight 2
Walking Dead Season 1
Euro Truck Simulator 2
Orcs Must Die 2
Skyrim

Finally, I received the following as gifts from friends or promotions:
Dungeon Defenders
King Arthur’s Gold
Hammerwatch

Trackmania Stadium - $2.98 - not installed yet
The Swapper - $5.09 - about 90 minutes in, good so far.
Outlast - $6.79 - not installed yet
Dust An Elysian Tale - $3.74 - not installed yet
Guacamelee Gold - $3.74 - about 90 minutes in, good fun, but I do suck a bit at these combo driven beat 'em ups.
Bit.Trip Runner 2 - $2.54 - not installed yet
Brothers A Tale of Two Sons - $7.49 - finished, awesome, awesome game!
Gone Home - $9.99 - finished, awesome game!
Papers, Please - $4.99 - not installed yet
The Stanley Parable - $11.24 - mostly finished, awesome game!
Trine 2 - $1.99 - not installed yet
PixelJunk Shooter and Monsters Bundle - $4.49 - played shooter for a few hours, good fun.
Expeditions Conquistador - $4.00 - not installed yet
Max Payne 3 - $8.99 - not installed yet
The Bridge - $1.49 - played about half of it, not all that great.
Tales of Maj’Eyal - $5.99 - not even scratched the surface.
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream - $5.99 - not installed yet
The Witcher 2 - $4.99 - not installed yet
Fallout - Free on GOG!
Fallout 2 - Free on GOG!
Fallout Tactics - Free on GOG!
Valdis Story Abyssal City - $3.74 - installing now after some good recommendations elsewhere.

About $100 all up. Not too bad, normally I don’t show that much restraint.

But oh dear, I should not have tallied up the boardgames I acquired during the December period from various Ebay auctions - $513. Don’t tell my wife.

Hmm, this could take a while. I picked up quite a bit more than I thought I would. Here goes:

12/21
Craft the World - wife has played this like crazy and loves it. Looks really cool and looking forward to trying it myself soon.

12/22
Age of Empires II HD + The Forgotten Expansion
Legend of Dungeon

12/23
Arma II: Combined Operations - to try out DayZ with our son
Brutal Legend
Contagion
Shadowrun Returns
Trine Collection

12/24
Braid
SteamWorld Dig

12/26
Anno 2070 - Deep Ocean
Anno 2070 DLC Complete Pack
Hotline Miami
Unepic
Endless Space - Disharmony
Van Helsing: Blue Blood
Van Helsing: Thamaturge
Van Helsing: Arcane Mechanics

12/27
Wargame: Airland Battle
Sanctum 2 - 4 pack
EU IV

12/28
Evochron Mercenary

12/29
Borderlands 2 Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade 2
Borderlands 2 Headhunter 1, 2 and 3

1/1
Natural Selection 2
You Need A Budget 4 - Indeed!

1/2
Delver

Bought about 5 snow globe cards at $0.20 or so to complete 2 badges. Sold a snow globe foil #9 for $1.64.

Total damage: $153.67

A bit better than I thought and completely covered by the little bit of Christmas money my parents gave me and FF money coming back this month :).

Injustice: Gods Among Us
[indent]Drool-worthy graphics. My inner comic geek is in heaven. All the characters are so buff. The hitboxes for the characters are so 3-D; I have to adjust after playing Skullgirls lately. Why does it have the Mortal Kombat uppercut move for everyone, too?[/indent]
DmC: Devil May Cry
[indent]OmG. This game is great! I love the cutscenes so far…none of the goofball western caricatures from Japan. Combos are easier to execute compared to most games in this genre. [/indent]
Penny Arcade RPG 1
[indent]The combat minigames are different, but tiring after a while. I wish I can play with a gamepad.[/indent]
Ultratron
[indent]Awesome Robotron-style game. Part of the Ultrabundle.[/indent]
Titan Attacks
[indent]Awesome Space Invaders-style game. Ultrabundle. This was a nice surprise, as I knew nothing about this game. I got the bundle for Ultratron alone.[/indent]
Trine 2
[indent]It’s Trine 1, but prettier and smoother, with some minor differences.[/indent]
Ys I
[indent]I decided to begin this series at the beginning. It’s not as super-old-retro as I thought. It feels like an SNES game, rather than a NES game. The extensive character entries for each and every person you meet gives this game more atmosphere than normal.[/indent]
Pinball FX2 tables
[indent]I love this game so much, I bought all tables that weren’t in the humble bundle.[/indent]
Hotline Miami, Spelunky
[indent]Not played yet. I have great expectations, based on all the recommendations from here and elsewhere.[/indent]
Droid Assault, Ys II, Penny Arcade RPG 2-4
[indent]Not played yet. I’m looking forward to having a good time with them.[/indent]

Age of Empires 2 HD
Another World
Antichamber
The Binding of Isaac expansion
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
Fallout: New Vegas
Gone Home
Pixeljunk Eden
Rogue Legacy
Slender: The Arrival
Sword of the Stars: The Pit
Spelunky

Retro/grade
[indent]Awesome! Never thought I’d like a guitar hero-style game without other people & licensed music. Flying around as a head-bopping T-Rex ship in a backwards SHMUP is fun. I definitely recommend this. Campaign is only around an hour, but there’s a bunch of different difficulties and challenges.[/indent]
Most Pinball FX2 tables
[indent]Enjoyed em and looking forward to the scoring competition. The only ones I didn’t like were Spiderman (crashes on my PC), Excalibur (hard!) and Mars (not very interesting).[/indent]
Magic 2014
[indent]Disappointing. I knew it was going to be from reading the reviews, and yet I bought it anyways. I’ve played too many better designed CCGs recently to enjoy this for awhile.[/indent]
Bit.Trip.Fate
[indent]Short but great. It’s a nice twist on SHMUP gameplay.[/indent]
Wizardries
[indent]Played a couple before, loved them… sort of. They can be very frustrating but it’s one of those things I can look back at with good memories. Got them for the convenience if I ever want to play it again. I don’t miss swapping discs.[/indent]

Elder Signs:Omens
Empire
Rise of Venice
Small World 2
Unity of Command + 2 DLC
Tales of Maj Eyal
Aarklash Legacy
Divinity:Dragon Commander
Sid’s Ace Patrol Pacific Theater
Anachronox
Expeditions:Conquistador
Wizardry 6/7/8
Blackguards

Awesome bundle sounds awesome! One question: I see “partial controller support” listed on the Steam store page. I take it that the games themselves are fully playable with a 360 controller, and you just need the keyboard for the menu or extra functions?

(Also, nice use of the indent tag!)