The Operative --> NOLF --> CONTRACT J.A.C.K... WTF?

Ok, so I’m nitpicking here, but only because I love this series, and I know Adam will have some great spin on the answer. :P

The first game, released in 2000, was called: The Operative: No One Lives Forever.

For some bizarre reason, the second game, released in 2002, was called: No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way. This release took the subtitle from the first game and made it the main title. I was confused then. It would make sense to call it The Operative 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way or some such thing.

Now, we get Contract J.A.C.K. Is this a subtitle? Is it actually N.O.L.F. 3: Contract J.A.C.K.? Is that enough acronym for ya? What’s wrong with a franchise called The Operative? Have I wasted far too much time on a silly topic?

Even the first game had the “The Operative” bit really overshadowed… it was always “No One Lives Forever” to me… this is, I’d imagine “No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s way: Contract J.A.C.K.”

YES

Didn’t Monolith also change their name recently?

No wait… I misunderstood. I thought this was an expansion. Ah well… whatever. heh

I am confused, too. Who is this punk Gladman who pops up on various sites pimping some game called Painkiller? I thought Gladguy was the Dreamcatcher shill, not this illiterate blowhard I have seen interviewed as of late.

Contract J.A.C.K is a standalone expansion of NOLF 2. So that would make it No One Lives Forever 2: Contract J.A.C.K.
I think.

But… it’s a prequel… and stand-alone… doesn’t that make it… umm… I give up. heh

Standalone and expansion doesn’t seem to fit well together…

An expansion prequel…

This is what it would be like if Cate Archer went back in time and killed her Grandmother. It’s like some kind of time paradox.

I think this makes perfect sense, just like Dark Forces 4: Jedi Knight 3: Jedi Outcast 2: Jedi Academy.

Or Super Mario Brothers 4 Advance: Super Mario Brothers 3 or whatever the hell it is

Don’t make me call you out, son…

I keep the pimpin’ off the boards here. What I do on my company’s time is my own biz.

No review copy for YOU! :twisted: NEXT!!

Here in the UK, it was originally titled No One Lives Forever, with the cool psychedelic art and Cate on the box. When it got released for PS2, and for the subsequent PC GOTY edition, the art changed to a vastly inferior pic of Cate on a motorbike, and was titled The Operative: No One Lives Forever. I have the Sierra Bestseller series edition of the game on my desk right now, with NOLF2 waiting to be played :)

Sierra are rubbish at marketing these days.

Edit: Another annoying thing. Setting the game res in NOLF1 to higher than the default results in the main menu screen being displayed in a small box on the monitor with a massive border round it. This looks shit. Cataclysm did this too, and those are the most recent Sierra games I own. Is it some sort of bizarre Sierra coding requirement?

Adam from Sierra will now show up and tell us why the NOLF marketing sucks. My guesses as to what he will say:

1. European marketing is handled by a European division
  2. Console marketing is handled by a different division

The implied subtext is that its the other marketing divisions that suck.

The project was always called NOLF by employees at Monolith.

Don’t make me call you out, son…

I keep the pimpin’ off the boards here. What I do on my company’s time is my own biz.

No review copy for YOU! :twisted: NEXT!![/quote]

Just a little fun. I actually was just read an interview you did on…crap…can’t remember the name of the site. It was regarding Painkiller and it does sound interesting.

AFAIK, the only times you have mentioned your games at Qt3 is in response to queries by forum folks. I really meant the pimping you do on actual game sites. :wink: Qt3 is really just a static front page to sell shirts to rabid forum members.

Thanks for the kind words about our site, Ty. :P

Wait, are you with gameshark or working on Painkiller? I, seriously, had no idea. What a freaky coincidence!!

I’m writing for gameshark and previewing Painkiller, in fact. ;P