The Opposition Thread

I thought it might be useful to have a thread talking about actual political action people are planning to take during a Trump presidency.

I’m aware of the usual suspects – write your members of congress, donate to organizations you support, vote in the midterms, volunteer for important campaigns in the midterms. But to be honest I don’t know much about actual political action. I think this might be a good time for a lot of us to learn.

Any ideas/thoughts/experiences/advice?

Get into fistfights with family over Christmas dinner while trying to enlighten and convert his support base.

Fetal position in a revived nuclear fallout shelter from the 60’s.

Eat a lot of broccoli and drink a lot of beer.

Be civil, humane, and resist the temptation to educate via tire irons.

Okay, now that the gallows humor is out of the way…

Chris Kluwe American Hero

Continue to live in my Seattle bubble benefiting from the policies enacted by a liberal legislature - such as a $15 minimum wage, mandatory paid sick leave, expanded mass transit, etc. - and make sure all my friends and family who live in Michigan and supported Trump know just how fucking great it is out here while their Michigan economy and education system continues to crumble.

(Posted this before in one of the other threads.) Protected classes (Wikipedia) under federal anti-discrimination law:

• Race – Civil Rights Act of 1964
  • Color – Civil Rights Act of 1964
  • Religion – Civil Rights Act of 1964
  • National origin – Civil Rights Act of 1964
  • Age (40 and over) – Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967
  • Sex – Equal Pay Act of 1963 and Civil Rights Act of 1964
    • The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission includes discrimination based on gender presentation and sexual orientation as protected beneath the class of ‘sex’[1]
  • Pregnancy – Pregnancy Discrimination Act
  • Citizenship – Immigration Reform and Control Act
  • Familial status – Civil Rights Act of 1968 Title VIII: Housing cannot discriminate for having children, with an exception for senior housing
  • Disability status – Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990
  • Veteran status – Vietnam Era Veterans’ Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974 and Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act
  • Genetic information – Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act

Individual states can and do create other classes for protection under state law.

This is the best idea.

The rape covering homophobe who thinks pedophilia is appropriate material for a joke? You should be more discerning in who you consider a hero. http://www.cbssports.com/general/news/chris-kluwe-cant-be-moral-crusader-after-his-cruel-twitter-rant/

Support companies that block the expansion of hate speech.

Yes, that guy.

For those with intestinal fortitude:

Indivisible: A Practical Guide for Resisting the Trump Agenda

I wish there was a similar guide for those of who are already represented by 3 awesome MoCs. I mean, I can push those folks to take strong stands and not compromise with Trump if they start to get lazy, but there’s not much improvement to be had there.

Living in California, I also have three awesome members of Congress. I’ll be keeping an eye on them in case they slip a bit. Then I will let them know with an email. I think they will continue to be great.

There are some good points in this article:

Hmm… I wonder if others will do this.

I sure hope so. The clown is a fucking embarrassment to anyone that actually cares about the country instead of their bank account.