The Opposition Thread

I meant 1000 million, obvs

One thousand million billion.

“A note from Roger: The resistance begins today,” Waters’ Facebook posted Friday. The video comes from Waters’ late-September concert gigs at Mexico City’s Foro Sol in front of a massive audience that didn’t appreciate Trump calling Mexicans “rapists” or threatening to build a wall.

During the song, Waters’ video screens showed artist-made images of Trump toting a machine gun outside the White House, giving the Nazi salute and surrounding himself with KKK members. Waters also relishes aiming lyrics from the Animals epic like “Bus stop rat bag, haha charade you are” and “You’re nearly a laugh, but you’re really a cry” in the mogul’s direction.

Were lyrics ever more presciently written?

“Ha ha, charade you are…”

Choir! Choir! Choir! has never been afraid to get political. Over the years, Toronto’s tireless drop-in choir has had some choice words for Rob Ford, Vladimir Putin and, most recently, Donald Trump. Last week, they doubled down their anti-POTUS efforts with a massive protest singalong. Choir leaders Nobu Adilman and Daveed Goldman originally planned to sing MILCK’s breakout hit, “Quiet” (the unofficial anthem of the Women’s March), at the choir’s regular Tuesday and Wednesday night sessions at Clinton’s Tavern, but there was so much interest that they decided to upscale their efforts. They booked the Phoenix Concert Theatre, sold more than 1,000 tickets within a day (all proceeds go to the American Civil Liberties Union) and invited MILCK to join the party. Watch the powerful video above to see what happened.

Stuff like that makes me think there’s still hope for us all. Thanks for posting it.

There’s still hope for Canada, anyway.

Love the cowbell in that song.

Those backup performers were Lucius/Jess Wolfe and Holly Laessig.

@Evan_McMullin: Never cared much for Nazi punks.
@IAmTomorrow: @Evan_McMullin @keithlaw is this a punk rock thread?!
@Evan_McMullin:@IAmTomorrow @keithlaw Yes. Yes, it is.
@DeadKennedys (2 hours later): @Evan_McMullin did some one mention Nazi Punks? We also don’t care for them either. Maybe you have heard our song?
@Evan_McMullin: @DanielFuglestad @DeadKennedys Geeking out big time, but trying to stay cool.

Dead Kennedys on Twitter promoting a song, even if it’s funny, feels like a record company Twitter account.

Man, McMullin could have been a fairly reasonable conservative candidate.

Still could be. He’s a relatively young guy.

He’s relatively unknown, and a Mormon. The former means there really isn’t much in the way of dirt dug up on him, the latter means trouble with the Religious Right. Clearly Romney showed that a Mormon could win the GOP nomination, but his religious beliefs were certainly an issue with a subset of the party.

Yet, here we are, with Donald ‘Two Corinthians’ Trump.

Yeah, somehow that’s preferable to magic pajamas. I can’t quite connect the dots myself, but then that’s nothing new when it comes to the RR.

The Christian right showed that they would rather have someone who mimes being a member of their own religion (even if doing so abysmally badly), rather than someone who they perceive as potentially being of a different religion.

Ironically, this is actually in direct conflict with the ACTUAL teachings of Christianity, so whatevs.

Man, if I only didn’t have scruples. I could fake being a Christian so much better than Trump. Fuck, I’ve attended a theology class, and am actually interested in the Old Testament both as a work of literature and as a historical document of ancient Middle Eastern culture!

If reinvented myself as a born-again who “saw the light” and started making unhinged pro-Trump Youtube videos into the bargain, I bet I’d make a respectable chunk of change.

Oh well.

That’s largely irrelevant, who needs that? The real question is, on a scale of 1 to 10, how much do you hate those homos that are destroying my marriage? Er, I mean destroying America?

Conservative Christians don’t want to follow Christianity. They want to follow their own bigoted beliefs and will follow whoever tells them they’re doing the noble thing.