The Opposition Thread

Oh god, he’s going to be my fucking Governor next. Kill me now.

I don’t know about “inherently” being bad, but as someone who has been around tax returns for almost 40 years I think what has happened to America’s tax returns is a fine example of what our tax system has become. Forty years ago the 1040A was for people who made a little money and had no write offs. It was basically the easiest things you could file. At some point the 1040EZ was added because the 1040A is now about as complicated as the earlier 1040’s were.

The number of forms and options on a 1040 is mind boggling. There are lines on a 1040 where 10+ different credits can be shown because the form simply doesn’t have enough room for each of them to have their own line.

The ACA filing requirements have increased the numbers employed at the IRS this season as not even the IRS (and it’s computers) knows what to do with most of them.

I agree tax code could use simplification, but to use that as an excuse to not allow deductions for state/local taxes is utter bullshit.

Not sure this is the place for this, but I just came across a news article titled: “Navy, Marines prohibit sharing nude photos without consent.” Uh yeah, that’s probably a good idea.

Especially considering how not complicated that piece is.Getting rid of AMT is a bad idea too until a large reform is done. What they need to do is consider upping the line so it hits the group it’s intended to hit. The fact we have an AMT tells you our tax code is pretty messed up.

You guys over there in USA still do your tax on paper, or do you have a online state run service with an open API that handles any and all forms for private/companies?

Mostly private electronic filing, although some states do it for free. California does. Many people still do it on paper, for a variety of reasons. Any problems with social security numbers will require paper filing.

They have a scandal with this right now.

OFGS, Bernie. Who cares?

Folks realize that Bernie Sanders isn’t actually in the Democratic party, right?

Nope, most people do not understand this. But they don’t understand what the Democratic party is either.

To be fair, it often seems as though the Democratic party doesn’t understand what it is either.

And given that the guy was running to be the democratic nominee for president it doesn’t seem like a terribly meaningful distinction.

Come on, next you’ll be telling us that Virginia isn’t actually a state.

The Dems are a coalition of three parties that want different things- that’s the problem.

You got the social issues Dems, the Berniecrats, and the good ol boy Clinton Dems.
That said, even a Clinton Dem beats a Republican. I’ll fight like hell against them, but if it’s a Clintonist vs a Republican, I’ll settle for the Clintonist.

Presumably the reporter who asked him the question. Per the context, it doesn’t appear Bernie was just spouting off. He was asked about Ossoff and answered honestly that he doesn’t know much about him.

Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders, in an interview Tuesday in Louisville, Ky., said he didn’t know much about Mr. Ossoff, a 30-year-old former House staffer. Mr. Sanders said he isn’t prepared to back Democrats just because of a party label.

I remember bringing this up when he ran. I think a lot of people still don’t realize this or think it matters. I think it’s an important point though. He’s not a Social Democrat… he is literally not a Democrat.

I guess on some level maybe it doesn’t matter, in that file really should be more than just a party… But at the same time for need to recognize that Bernie is way further out than mainstream Democrats. If that’s where the party wants to go, so be it, but I don’t think it’s really the solution to winning elections.

Also, unrelated, on CNN just now I saw a commercial for http://www.wearesikhs.org and it strikes​ me as fucked up that they feel that is necessary to go to this length to basically make people not afraid of them.

Fucked up on the part of society, not on their part. It’s like that old SNL sketch where the red necks keep breaking into the one immigrant guy’s store and wrecking it.

I think it does matter. He’s not part of the party. He’s an outsider who is trying to drive the direction of a party that he’s not even a member of. He might, does, vote with the Democrats and sure he ran as one for a split second, but he is not literally a member. He’s an independent and he says that. He does not consider himself a Democrat.

There are all kinds of strong arguments that support moving away from a party system, but none of them really say you should just say you’re a member of a party when you’re not.

What about the people who supported him or politicians like him? Are they Democrats? If you say no, do you really want to kick that many people who self identify as Democrats out?

The mainstream democratic party should not change because of Bernie Sanders. They should change to court people who supported Bernie Sanders, if they want that support. They might not want that support or they might think they will get it anyway (right or wrong) though. That is what politics is all about, or at least what it should be about.