The Orville - Seth MacFarlane takes on Star Trek

Great episode, nearly as good as any TNGs best (Yesterday’s Enterprise, Romulan Defector, etc).

Love this show. My favorite in many many years.

Well goddamn.

Well, now I’ve GOT to watch it tonight. Thanks a lot, guys! ;-)

Late to the party, but … wow, THAT was unexpected.

It’s funny how the name of the race went from generally sci-fi that kinda reminds you of other races to

Striving not to post any direct spoilers but so help me science if they kill off Victor Garber’s guest-star character there’s gonna be hell to pay.

Kaylon? Still seems like a generic sci-fi name to me, what am I missing?

Kaylon -> Caylon -> Cylon

Gotcha, thanks!

Is McFarlane a WWII buff? Garber’s character is named Admiral Halsey.

I think that’s a stretch. They remind me more of the AI races in the main Mass Effect series.

I’d be willing to bet that its more likely he got the name from a Paul McCartney song.

So Uncle Albert will show up eventually.

Well that got serious pretty quickly. What a bad day to be a security officer on The Orville.

It will be interesting to see if they go the old-school TNG route where Ty’s love for Isaac will be the key to making Isaac either convince the Kaylon to cease or infect his own people with a “virus” that causes them to become non-threatening. Since the show has already set up the Krill as the main enemy of the Union, I don’t see them leaving the Kaylon out there as well…so somehow this has to be resolved within the next episode or two.

Or they’ll have to team up with the Krill to deal with the Kaylon.

Whether they end up being the muses that cause the Orville’s saviour or not, I’d like to say that I think both child actors are very good at their jobs. They’re better then Macfarlane.

This must be a fantastic point, because I completely forgot they were child actors until just now.

I agree completely. Both of the doctor’s sons have had episodes that were at least partially focused on them, and both actors did a great job in every episode where they were featured. They act like real kids, with real kid reactions to their situations, and while that may seem simplistic and obvious, given the level of the script writing and adult acting on this show, it’s no small feat.

That said, The Orville tends to lean on the doctor and her family a little too much. ST:TNG was great in part because it often put members of the bridge crew and/or supporting cast in situations where they had to rely on each other to escape/resolve a situation and learn/discover things about one another while doing so, and in turn it made viewers connect with and like the crew more. The Orville doesn’t do this very effectively. It’s had a couple of moments, mostly with Commander Grayson, Lt. Alara and now the new security chief Lt. Keyali, but honestly, they could shoot Seth MacFarlane’s character or the wacky pilot guy in the head and I wouldn’t miss them the following episode. Even Bortus is starting to get boring.