The Orville - Seth MacFarlane takes on Star Trek

Gossip Girl. XOXO

Yes, I gather, but I’m a nearly 58 year old man so I never actually watched that show, though apparently the eye candy was in evidence. Part of the guilty reason I watched Melrose Place back when (that, and my then-GF was into it). Courtney Thorne-Smith and Daphne Zuñiga, rowr.

The A plot was pretty predictable, but Bortus is just the best.

She was also in 7th Heaven, 24, Entourage, Making History, and Single Parents

Now that you mention Making History (loosely based on a book by Stephen Fry a long time ago, I gather), I watched an episode or two at some point as well, and more recently than House or 24.

I bounced off the episode pretty hard. It just felt really stupid and contrived. The Bortus bits didn’t help that feeling at all.

This show keeps wavering between being a classic Trek Sci-Fi show with some humor elements and being some kind of weird study in human nature with sci-fi elements and out-of-place humor…the more it leans to the latter the less interested I get.

I thought classic Trek sci-fi was some kind of weird study in human nature with sci-fi elements?

Classic Trek always makes me think of:

TNG was far better, at least to my tastes :)

Sure, a little. But it always struck me as more exploration and action based, a Sci-Fi show first, with Roddenberry’s ideals of a utopian future and social commentary layered in. TNG took this a step further, with more emphasis on what it means to be human through the stories of characters like Data, Worf and others.

I guess since Orville is supposed to be an homage to TNG, that’s where the character introspection and meaning of life stuff is coming from. It’s clunky though, especially in conjunction with the usually sophomoric level humor, and the writers just don’t have the talent to pull it off the way TNG often did. Sometimes it ends up feeling more like a silly relationship comedy show in space than a cool action sci-fi show with social commentary.

It’s only the second season dude. TNG’s second season was almost entirely garbage.

I know, and I have enjoyed many of the episodes thus far. I don’t hate the show, I just wish it would be more consistent. An entire episode devoted to Gordon falling in love with a girl from 2015 and Bortus developing a nicotine addiction just seems like a colossal waste of the show’s potential, especially right on the heels of the excellent two-episode arc with the Kaylon and the Krill.

I’ve often wondered with The Orville if the humour and parody extends to the very small details, e.g. the fact that this woman was from 1995…

Just like in TOS how the people were always from 1968, and in TNG/DS9/VOY they were always from 1995 or whatever.

(And it also goes with the media they consume. Again, I feel like it’s a parody, rather than them using modern media for the same reason that Trek used modern media when showing ‘the past’)

What an outstanding episode. Near as good as the Kaylon 2 parter.

I like that Moclan are the weapon makers, but suck at using them.

They had Stormtrooper level accuracy down on the planet, even though Greyson and Bortus just stood there firing

Agreed, I was floored by how good an episode it was. And the cameos! Tony Todd AND Ron Canada in the same thing? I do declare…

Did you miss Marina Sirtis?

Oh yeah. That was awesome too. But Ron Canada!

Oh shit, AND the episode was directed by none other than Jonathan Frakes. Well there’s at least ONE reason it was so great.

Not trying to be a dick…oops too late…but does anyone else think Marina has aged poorly?

NVM I didn’t realize she is 64 years old…I kind of thought she was in her 50’s