The Outer Worlds - Obsidian's Fallout New Vegas in Space

I wonder if they’re planning something like an Enhanced Edition to fix what seem to be some pretty universal complaints. I wouldn’t mind waiting for that.

Still playing, I am up to 4 companions now and am headed out to fix a comms satellite or something!

And… wow that was a short and easy mission if you tell the robots to go recharge.

Onward and now back to Terra 2, this time Roseway !

That’s kind of a spoiler for new players though.

I like the comms repair mission because of the notes strewn throughout the station and the little vignette it tells. I also used my skills to make the mission simple.

Ah I guess, I blurred it just incase. :P

::looks around to make sure it’s the right thread::

::checks again::

I’m really enjoying this game a lot. It’s fun Tom. :)

Are large maps harder to develop? I suppose it’s something they can do in the sequel.

I have heard people complain about the abundance of loot, but how about the abundance of quests? Every time I glance at someone I get another quest. :)

See, that’s the problem when you just can’t keep your eyes to yourself.

Still not finished this, decided up thread that I’m not in the proper mood for it. Did get sucked into some Grim Dawn instead.

I had a 3 week hiatus with other things, and now I was able to return to the game. Which I had only started, I’m still on the first planet.

One thing I dislike it’s that I had already 4 or 5 occasions where dialog options would disappear after selecting one. So for example I had 4 things to talk about with a npc, I select one, and afterwards the other 3 won’t ever appear again. I know it was non-critical, ‘flavor’ dialogue, but I still hate it.
The first time it happened I thought my mind was playing tricks, but it happened a few more times.

That is annoying - but when you get out of the dialogue, restart it and the options you didn’t explore should be available, unless they’ve been excluded due to a choice you’ve made.

I tried, and they didn’t come back. I will give one example I saw this morning: talking with Thomas the would-be engineer, he gives you a quest to find 3 manuals. There was a dialog option about the third volume, but because I selected another option (unrelated to that!) it didn’t appear gain.

Shoot Thomas for his impertinence.

First planet finished. I hope the game improves from this point onward, except the singular main quest and the two npcs related to it, and a npc that happened to be a companion (the priest), the rest of side quests (simple an uninvolving), npcs and their dialog has been very average. Not bad, but below my expectations of well rated Obsidian game.
Also, I’m sure as hell hope the game difficulty increases, and the first world was like that because it was ‘tuturial-like’.

I liked the way they made most of their game skippable. Turgid conversations? Cut every line short. Repetitive journeys? Nice fast travel system. Buildings full of strategically placed guards, locks and disguises? Shotgun ho!

It made it a lot more palatable for me :)

I wonder if this game is like their Alpha Protocol, where on the surface everything seems about average (except the combat, that sucked big time in AP) and the beauty and depth of the game are revealed upon replaying it and seeing the many different outcomes due to your choices?

I know, I should just play the damn thing (still in the first world/area), but I have to say this is the first Obsidian game I’ve played that didn’t hook me right away (I could also add Pillars of Eternity but that one I only played for about an hour on the Xbox One X and the loading times (on an SSD) were pretty annoying so haven’t gone back to it, but I was bored in that hour).

They should release a remaster of Alpha Protocol for the current consoles. I wonder if that’s BC? Would probably have improved performance on Xbox One X.

Unfortunately not.

On Sunday, I got to the part on Monarch when you follow the road and then zap critters and bandits in alternate sequence. I saved there, and I’m not really sure I’m going to go back to it.The only thing really standing out for me in the game is Parvati unloading her karmic burden on me (and I appreciate the attempt to beat the “OMG WHERE IS TEH NPC ROMANCE PATH” trope to death with a shovel).

It’s just… dry. The minor loot is just too Monty Haul (and I like use maybe 2 types of buff anyway, the armor buff and the health buff), you find all sorts of guns everywhere but they’re all the same, the gotcha beats aren’t that gotcha (um, Deserter Lady, what you use for fertilizer isn’t that big of deal… we are actually voting to make that legal here in the Evergreen state), there just isn’t… I don’t know, discovery like there was in FONV.

The main quest is drier than cheap buffet prime rib, and I would have simply preferred the player to act as Ye Olde Courier, in thrall to no-one or nobody.

To me Outer Worlds feels like a game where the core development is done but it now needs a lot of play testing to refine the game play experience.

This may sound silly but, why there is ammo in this game? Why your weapons even use ammo?

Because they could have infinite shots and the game would play exactly the game. At the end of the first area I have between 800 and 1000 ammo of each of the three types. At this point I have between 1200 and 2000. So for all intents and purposes, it’s like you have infinite ammo. You never have to buy it, so why is it in store?, you never have to think what weapon to use depending on your ammo reserves, you never do interesting gameplay decisions about it.

This kind of unbalanced gameplay element bordering in design oversight is symptomatic to the entire game. This isn’t the first RPG where the progressions eventually breaks the game, but it’s still surprising how easy and how soon happens here.

I watched a speedrun where a guy completed the game in like 12 minutes or something. Turns out all of Monarch is optional.