The Outer Worlds - Obsidian's Fallout New Vegas in Space

I loved the writing for her character, but she was a perfect example of how the writing in the game didn’t match the game design at all.

You take her to the Groundbreaker, and she meets someone. You maybe do a couple quests on the Groundbreaker (quests in this case meaning maybe talk to a few more people), get back to your ship, and she immediately is like “I’ve been talking and talking to this person you potentially had me meet literally five in game minutes ago.” I understand that games require some suspension of disbelief, and ability to think “More time has passed in game world than in my world,” but this game took that to the nines. Because they didn’t really seem to think about how a player may engage with the game, there was no pacing to her story, or any of the other companions.

On top of that, they wrote them all to be (depending on your actions) fawning over you and acting like you’d been through thick and thin within maybe an hour or so of unlocking them. It’s symptomatic of them writing a big game, but making a small game. The characters all act like you’ve been on some epic adventures together, and have become fast friends. Because of that, it all fell pretty flat to me, because it just was so artificial. It really felt like the writing team and the design team never communicated what they were each working on.