The Outer Worlds - Obsidian's Fallout New Vegas in Space

A little too colourful and humorous for my taste but it’s an Obsidian rpg so I’ll probably check it out.

Certainly not as excited now as I thought I’d be after watching the trailer. Of all the possible settings, why did it have to be Fallout in space…

Yes, oh yes. I am ready. Day one available preordering the shit out of this game. Super excited for this. My most anticipated game of 2019 just out of the blue. Fallout in Space is the game I always wanted and hoped Starfield would be. But that’s a while away and this almost around the corner. I can hardly contain my excitement, grinning here like a fool. Yes, still an Obsidian fanboy. I hope it will be as great as it looks right now.

I may have to go all in for the special edition with the physical goodies on this one (I almost never do that).

YES, yesssss, YES!!!

Giant text block at the end of the trailer

This looks super cool and hopefully bodes well for the rest of Private Division’s lineup. Great to see Obsidian get a chance to create an original RPG with the scope of New Vegas.

This looks good. Its good to see more people making open world RPGs. I have pretty much lost all faith in Bethesda.

Did it say anywhere that it’s going to be open world? Because I honestly lost interest halfway through the trailer.

I am sorry, but that is my assumption from the style of the game and when they are crediting having made other open world games. If it is a super linear game, then that will be a major disappointment.

The Outer Worlds is a new single-player first-person sci-fi RPG from Obsidian Entertainment and Private Division.

In The Outer Worlds, you awake from hibernation on a colonist ship that was lost in transit to Halcyon, the furthest colony from Earth located at the edge of the galaxy, only to find yourself in the midst of a deep conspiracy threatening to destroy it. As you explore the furthest reaches of space and encounter various factions, all vying for power, the character you decide to become will determine how this player-driven story unfolds. In the corporate equation for the colony, you are the unplanned variable.

Key Features

• The player-driven story RPG: In keeping with the Obsidian tradition, how you approach The Outer Worlds is up to you. Your choices affect not only the way the story develops; but your character build, companion stories, and end game scenarios.

• You can be flawed, in a good way: New to The Outer Worlds is the idea of flaws. A compelling hero is made by the flaws they carry with them. While playing The Outer Worlds, the game tracks your experience to find what you aren’t particularly good at. Keep getting attacked by Raptidons? Taking the Raptiphobia flaw gives you a debuff when confronting the vicious creatures, but rewards you with an additional character perk immediately. This optional approach to the game helps you build the character you want while exploring Halcyon.

• Lead your companions: During your journey through the furthest colony, you will meet a host of characters who will want to join your crew. Armed with unique abilities, these companions all have their own missions, motivations, and ideals. It’s up to you to help them achieve their goals, or turn them to your own ends.

• Explore the corporate colony: Halcyon is a colony at the edge of the galaxy owned and operated by a corporate board. They control everything… except for the alien monsters left behind when the terraforming of the colony’s two planets didn’t exactly go according to plan. Find your ship, build your crew, and explore the settlements, space stations, and other intriguing locations throughout Halcyon.

No specific reference to open world, which is a little weird because that’s usually the first thing that’s pointed out if the game follows that structure.

The game’s description, specifically the references to settlements are a little ambiguous and could mean an open world structure, but my money is that it will be an overworld map with key locations, like Fo2, Bg2, Poe, etc.

I’d be pretty shocked if it wasn’t more or less open world. Not out of buying on day one, but still shocked, given the trailer and developer history.

Map with key locations would also work great for me. Open world is good but it’s not everything. Interesting characters and locations and story is much more important to me.

and preview

You know, NOW I really have to replay Fallout New Vegas, before this game comes out.

So we finally have a Bethesda game by Obsidian! Bethesda bought Fallout and Obsidian does Bethesda exploration… and at the right time, considering everybody seems to hate F76 (having seemingly not played it!), this might be the perfect alternative. Good, I always wanted more games like Bethesda’s open world exploration rpgs. I’m wondering if they made a new engine, or a modded version of Bethesda’s engine, because the game looks so much like a Bethesda rpg ala F4/F76.

I watched this video, and it’s amazing. The fear system, the time dilation, the setting, the gunplay, stats, perks, inventory, it all looks exactly like what I wanted. I’m so in.

Watching gameplay, this is Obsidians Borderlands open world rpg actually… but it also has more than one companions too?!? interesting.

Yeah, from looking at the trailer this looks more like Borderlands than Fallout, but an Obsidian version of Borderlands would probably be pretty cool too.

The gameplay video makes it look more like Fallout, I think. Less ARPG and more standard RPG. Plus slow down mode.

Fallout: New Vegas, homie.

Watching that gameplay video, it even has the Bethesda-style POI compass UI element. And hey, no awful lockpick minigame, you press a button and pick the lock!

I loved this.

Speaking of, did anyone else catch the moment when the companion scored a crit (I assume it was a crit and not a random moment) and the camera pulled out and showed her third person style? The most Fallout 3, 4, New Vegas thing ever. It didn’t feel out of place though, it just reassured me they are going for a Fallout feel to the gameplay.