The Outer Worlds - Obsidian's Fallout New Vegas in Space

Can’t wait for the game to come out so we can actually talk about it in the thread!

That’s for sure. I hope it’s as good as I want it to be!

Yes, they could not make FNV in 18 months without the tools. (which you seem to be ignoring) The scope of that game is also much larger than The Outer Worlds. But The Outer Worlds has been in development for over twice the amount of the time, and Tim Cain is no stranger to building game engines from scratch.

In the context of having only a maximum of 18 months to make a game like Fallout: New Vegas, you don’t really have much choice in the matter though. Of course it is going to be near-on impossible to make a game like Fallout: New Vegas without utilising Bethesda’s pre-existing engine and toolsets in that kind of a, relatively short, development timeframe.

It doesn’t mean that Obsidian couldn’t develop the engine capabilities and toolsets they need to make a game like Fallout: New Vegas if given sufficient development time and resources. Doing that and a whole new game on top certainly ain’t going to fit within the 18 months that Bethesda contractually gave Obsidian for Fallout: New Vegas though, as Josh Sawyer said.

And even then Obsidian’s original vision/ideas for Fallout: New Vegas were much grander than what the limitations of the engine\toolsets and console hardware of the time allowed. Some of which have been realised later on the PC thanks to more powerful hardware and modding.

There’s hope, there’s hope. I’ve just replayed FNV and replaying PoE2 at the moment and those work great. Obsidian still has their own unique take.

I’m pretty confident the game will be good a few months after it ships. I think anyone playing it at ship is crazy, though. These days even the relatively polished CRPG releases end up with an “Enhanced Edition” that makes you wish you didn’t play it earlier and Obsidian is not exactly known for release polish.

I thought the trailer was brilliant and it got me excited but after watching the 19 minute gameplay video that’s floating around out there, it left me feeling rather… “bleh”. Perhaps it’s due to it being early and the player hadn’t found any interesting weapons but the level design was uninspiring as well. Again, too early to make a judgement call but so far I’m going in with some trepidation.

New trailer? I could swear I saw it before, but I went back a month or so and didn’t see it posted here.

Ah its the same trailer from back in August. Dammit Epic!

I got a few months of Game Pass for buying a Ryzen CPU. This is definitely out release day on Game Pass for PC, right?

Believe so…

Could you expand on this?

I really want this game to be good. Obsidian needs it and MS needs a good game franchise that isn’t Halo, Forza or Gears.

FNV was great, but Gamebryo itself was a clunky, ugly looking engine until FO4.

Outer Wilds looks great too. Love the bright colors!

Disagree. Morrowind looked great for its time, and I still like the look of Oblivion, while Skyrim’s world is wonderful looking, imo.

What engine are they using for this game?

Unreal Engine 4

Cool. Was worried it might be Unity.

The guys who made The Forest did a really good job using Unity but yes, why not use UE4 if you can’t build your own in house engine.

Just realized that Game Pass allows me to pre-install this game on my Xbox One, so I’m ready to go!

Yes they certainly did!