The Pathfinder Adventure Card Game (ACG?) that deserves its own thread

4000 gold for each. So yes, possible.

Yes, absolutely. Particularly since you need to be online to get the gold reward, and I usually play on the train, off line.

Sounds like I finally have a use for all the Google Opinion reward money from last year (which they seem to have stopped sending me… haven’t had a contact for many months now).

I went ahead and bought the 200 gold/day deal also.

I tried this on an Android Phone (6.0.1) and couldn’t even finish the tutorial. When battling the Codex, you are supposed to use the bard character’s support skills. I managed to get the two extra dice using her support skills, but was simply unable to roll them afterwards. I spent a commute of about 20 minutes trying to figure this out (restarting the tutorial, changing the sequence in which I play the cards, etc.) to no success. No matter what I tried, the dice won’t move whatsoever. I even looked at Let’s Plays on Youtube to see whether I missed anything, but it doesn’t look like it.

Did anybody have the same issue? Any advice? It seems like a game I would enjoy on my phone, even though its screen size seems hardly adequate…

It’s a bit buggy at times still. Sometimes you can get it to work by adding extra blessings, sometimes not.

I picked up another character, the fighter I think. I’m not sure I totally understand quest mode though. I sent my 2 original heroes on a quest, completed it and leveled them both up to 3. Then I went to start a new quest with my new fighter and noticed I can either start with my level 3 characters or new versions of them at level 1. Can you have multiple copies of the same characters in quest mode? Is there a limit to how many?

Yes, Quest mode has independent instances of each character also. It’s easiest to rename characters if you’re going to play with multiple versions. Quest is also completely separate from the Adventure mode. It’s a HUGE grind as it takes forever to level up.

I just started playing this a week or so ago. When I was trying to figure out how best to pick up all the stuff, I had an option in the store called “Buried Treasure”, which was 20,000 gold for $4.99. I earned roughly 2,000 or so gold in the introductory stuff. If I’m figuring right, that should be enough to buy all the adventure packs instead of the bundle.

I did a quick search and it seems that Buried Treasure only shows up if you don’t buy something for several days, so it may not be an option in some cases.

I will say that I’m enjoying this a lot. My wife and I played through Rise of the Runelords in the physical version years ago (with Seoni and Kyra) and had a ton of fun with it, but some of the rules conflicts and the setup/teardown did start to wear thin towards the end. It’s nice to see this distilled down to the fun parts. I do wish the characters were cheaper to unlock (the characters seem more expensive than the packs), but I’m liking the different feel of playing Merisiel a lot.

Are the daily challenges a bit buggy? I did one the other day that required either burying a certain number of cards or acquiring a certain number of allies. It was marked completed, but never showed up in the “Pick Up” tab of the challenges UI.

This is coming to PC next week, and as I’m pretty excited to play it finally (the iPad version I got I barely touched) I did some research on it.

First up, a really helpful blog post post that details some of the upcoming extras/goodies coming to the PC version (and that will be going out to the Mobile versions as well - they are keeping the two versions the same in terms of patches and content, though the PC version won’t be F2P, but rather two versions (base game and “Obsidian Edition” with all current content):

As someone that played and loved the physical game when it first came out (and only played the first few chapters of the original campaign) I’m incredibly excited to get the digital version! And none of the changes that seem to bother some purists (who want the game to be a 1:1 with the physical board game) give me any pause (such as the stash). It looks all good to me, and I appreciate I can buy (for what looks like $40 on some leaked promotional material) the entire thing and will probably do just that next Thursday.

Next up, the stream mentioned in that blog post is archived here:

My concern is that that does not appear to confirm that people who bought into the whole Rise of the Runelords bundle on mobile will get to play on PC without paying again. They’re linking your accounts so that content and progression transfer, but if it’s not going to be free to play on PC, you might very well need to buy the game to have a PC account. And then it’s already including all the stuff I spent money on.

This is correct - but as they stated in the stream, they had to develop the PC version and that took time/resources so they can’t just give it away, even to current customers. It would be like giving a copy of Overwatch on PC to people just because they own it on PS4 - different platforms. Plus they are allowing you to play across both platforms. You can start a campaign on the PC and then head onto the bus and resume your campaign-in-progress on your mobile device, if you have access to both and merged your accounts.

But I literally only bought the bundle on iOS because I was assured that would transfer across to PC. So that’s really fucked.

In your analogy, it would be like assuring everyone that if they bought Overwatch on PS4, then when it came out on PC you could play it there instead and then when that happened going “oh, well, your stats will save but since we spent resources on developing the PC version you’ll have to pay $60 again, sorry”.

I haven’t been following this unitl the last few days, so I don’t know anything about your being told the entire game would transfer and you wouldn’t have to pay anything to also play on PC.

I know that if you decided to pay the price for the base game, you can indeed merge all your purchases into the PC version though, so that part is accurate and would save you some money because me (for example) I’d have to buy the Obsidian edition to get all the content, not just the base game. Did they specifically state the PC version would be free if you bought the bundle?

Also, don’t forget you got to play all that content for the last… what? 6 months? I’ve been waiting for this to drop on Steam for this whole time, only able to finally dive in next week. So there is that, at least? I mean, I could have bought it all on iOS if I’d wanted to, but I don’t really like spending money on the Apple store, for whatever reason. I play the shit out of this on Steam though, and I’m really glad I can pay a flat $40 and get all the stuff.

I have barely touched the game. I didn’t want it on iOS, it’s was just the first chance to see what they were doing with it. The base PC purchase will include everything in the Rise of the Runelords bundle and then some, so I will not get any benefit out of having made that purchase. The obsidian edition adds a bunch of stuff that you get from spending gold in the mobile version (and probably in the PC version too? Not clear) just right away without any random drops, plus a few promos.

And I should add that it is particularly fucked because people like you who held out for the PC release will transfer all that content back to the iOS version for free, but people who supported the game from the off get nothing.

I’m with you - that sounds pretty fucked. I’m not finding any information that says if you buy the $25 Rise of the Runelord DLC on iOS that you get that on PC though, only that your collection of earned content will transfer over. Many folks on the Obsidian forums are angry that they paid $25 for this originally and now are being asked to pay $25 for it again. However, no one seems to be pointing to any language that intimates they wouldn’t have to, it sounds like it was some sort of assumption made by the fans, not really something officially stated. To me, setting aside any promises made originally that you wouldn’t have to, it’s fair to ask for more money for this new version - it’s a different platform, and it is very rare for a publisher to just let people dip their beaks more than once per purchase. And they are putting a lot of work into letting everyone transfer their non-base card collections over between the two, which is cool of them (imo).

If you were explicitly told you wouldn’t have to pay for Rise of the Runelords for the upcoming PC version, that is very shitty. Was that stated like that in-game when you bought the DLC? Since you own it on iOS already I guess I’d suggest just playing that version and not giving them any more money!

For the record, this was what convinced me to go ahead:

It doesn’t explicitly promise a free PC version but “all your purchases will transfer” isn’t very compatible with “but the main purchase we offer will be a baseline part of the PC version that you will have to buy separately” in my book.

Really wish they’d put in live (not asynch) multiplayer for this.

Yeah, that really bugs me too. There isn’t even asynch. on Steam - I mean, I guess they can’t stop someone from hot seat/taking turns with characters of course, but I’d have liked official multiplayer.

They stated in the stream that if this sells well on Steam they want to do multiplayer sooner rather than later.

Why did you assume that the PC version would be free to play? That’s a common model for mobile games but uncommon in PC games.

So the PC version is not free, but comes with unlocked content that you may already own. But that’s not unusual either. If anything, you often end up paying for content you already own in PC games, ie various GOTY editions and other bundles.

I gather asynch could be a pain…but man, it’d be great to get together with Qt3ers for a 45 minute session live even so. I’d love to give Tom shit for insisting on playing as Amiri the barbarian because she looks the most like Sarah Palin…