The Pathfinder Adventure Card Game (ACG?) that deserves its own thread

Thanks for pointing to it, there is a post there that really helped me understand the discussion that was going on earlier in this topic.

It’s a conversion of a physical game and all the actually cards you need from that game are included with adventure sets. The random treasure cards you can buy are “extra.” Most of them don’t even exist in card game form, or come from other sets. You don’t need a single one of them and they actually make an already easy game easier than it is supposed to be.

I was confused with the idea of Adventure packs and Card packs. Seem they are distinct, and the extra card packs are just an attempt at milking on the digital side. I know what I will get precisely, now!

Edit: I even get now why it is called Obsidiant edition, as Scott was pointing it. Everything is starting to make sense in my little head!

Indeed!

I can’t tell if you are referring to the physical edition (which is actually the craziest of all options in terms of trying to get all the cards - there are a LOT of packs out there, including additional character packs for each class) or the digital version, but if you mean the digital version you are specifically describing the Obsidian Edition, which I think will be $40 (with the only other purchase option being the normal game for $25 (or $20?, not sure)).

To be fair the class decks are largely superfluous unless you want to play PACG leagues.

Physical edition I have one campaign and four of the class decks because they are cool and I wanted them. I like the look of the characters and the cards.I don’t mind buying extra things for physical games as long as they are just that, extra, and the original game doesn’t feel empty without them.

For digital… not sure what I will do, probably wait, but not for the ultra special edition. Also, I hate it when I am quoted with obvious errors in the quote!

If you’re referring to cards obtained from chests, you won’t find these cards in the physical version. They were designed by the app developer in coordination with the game’s designer, with the artwork created by the app developer.

Yes, this is why I am happy to have understood what it all was, eventually. Now I know what I am interested in.

For the physical, I actually wanted to buy the class decks for the ones my players were interested in as well as chapters 4-6 (I started with base game + chapters 1-3) but I never set aside the funds to do it, and every time I had the group down it always seemed like there was something else we wanted to play, some other new game or expansion to try out, so we never got around to Pathfinder and consequently, I am very excited I can drop $25 or whatever and just get all they digital version of the physical cards. That’s cool by me!

I will probably just get the Obsidian edition though, some of the extras look really cool, and I’m a sucker for awesome new cards. The community seems to like them, so I’m sure they are fine, in terms of gameplay and such.

Also, I did fix the quoted section, I didn’t even notice! :)

I was completely unfamiliar with the game and ignored this thread, thinking it only dealt with a physical or mobile game, but seeing that it’s coming to Steam today I checked it out and watched a couple of videos.

Now I’m stoked.

I’m particularly excited because we played the physical game a few years ago and loved it, but only had up to chapter 3. Maddeningly, at the end of which you get to advance your class along a sub-class path and we all loved our characters but never got back into it. Now I can finally play with all the characters and cards and eventually complete all 6 chapters, even starting a new game with a new party later, if I want. I’m freaking jazzed as hell.

Oh that’s right. I loved the game so much I bought a few class packs and the rest of the campaign. Right after that one of our members starting consulting several states away so the group hasn’t gotten together in a bit. I am hopeful though!

It’s now available on Steam for 25% off. That has to be an error, right?

Don’t think so. Downloading now.

I think it’s because they couldn’t get the ambassador program up and running prior to launch, just a guess.

I also see the Epic and Legendary cards, the main thing I cared about in the Obisidian Edition, are actually FREE DLC, so it seems to me a guy could spend under $19 and get the game plus all epics and legendary cards and be all set. I still dropped $10 more on the Obsidian Edition, because fancy dice and other goodies but more to support Obsidian, a developer I really enjoy the work of.

Well, a word of warning if you are using a Macintosh:
The game exhibits the exact same issues as Twilight Struggle: overheating (which is bad already), but mainly alt-tabbing, the whole OS is made unresponsive.
I have no idea how those 2 Unity games manage to pull that horrible behaviour, but it is funny they are both port of big profile board games.
The fix never came from Playdek. I am crossing my fingers Obsidian will provide a solution.

I thought Macs had the best CPUs though, very strange.

Good to know. Thanks for the heads up. I will wait until/if it gets patched.

So, about this game. Do you need an additional account to play (other than Steam’s), and do you need to be online to play?

On startup, it prompts you that you need to be online to access a lot of features, although the mumbo-jumbo of the screen didn’t make it clear what it was - it felt like it was talking to somebody already familiar with the game.
Your Steam name is displayed in the top left corner of the title screen. If you click on it, you can input an Asmodee (boy, do they buy back all the board games rights out there?) account, to which it will switch. It will then display another warning about linking that made no sense whatsoever to new player me, with a ‘yes and no’ box. I clicked ‘yes’. I hope I did right!
I tried launching in offline mode for you: I can’t say what was gone or not, but I can only attest the game will then freeze on exit, forcing you to quit it through a manager.
So, short answer: it seems it doesn’t, but I am unsure what it is locking you out of when you do.

I suppose the Asmodee account is not needed if you don’t have stuff there already? Because now I’m interested in this game, even more so after seeing the No High Scores logo in that video. ;)

Where should I go to see some actual gameplay? This sounds really in my alley (since I love the likes of MTG and D&D)…