The Pathfinder Adventure Card Game (ACG?) that deserves its own thread

Another dumb question (or 2)

Whenever a monster is defeated a gold symbol appears, along with a number in the hundreds. At first I thought it was loot that dropped, but the numbers didn’t add up once I finished the chapter. What does it represent? Also something like +2 or +3 appears, which I assume represents some form of XP, but how does that get applied?

You receive gold for defeating Villains and Henchmen.

@tgb123 Also sometimes you are earning progress towards one of the quests/ “challenges”. These reward gold and can be viewed from the main menu.

Please help settle a debate:

What is a bunyip?

Thanks, I’ll hang up and listen!

The Steam description of this game is completely mystifying and useless. It apparently assumes that only people who own a physical copy of this game might consider buying it on Steam, listing off a bunch of features that presume you have already played the game.

I can’t even tell if the thing is multiplayer or singleplayer without actually doing research. Even the video on Steam tells me nothing. I mean, I’m a nerdy guy who played D&D and enjoyed the actual Pathfinder RPG, and this product might appeal to me, but having no experience with the card game I am baffled.

I feel like I’m interested but mildly offended that I need to actually go on youtube and watch some let’s plays or something to even have a concept of what the gameplay is. I’ve honestly never seen a game try to sell itself to me less.

Half bunny, half turnip.

I realize that [quote=“magnet, post:486, topic:73372, full:true”]
Half bunny, half turnip.
[/quote]

That’s just an all-in-one stew kit waiting to happen then!

I felt the same way when I launched the game for the first time:
a couple of windows pop up, describing meta stuff about the digital version and asking you to decide something about various accounts linking and what-not you can’t have any idea about. I felt like I was being pitched by somebody who was very excited about his project, but had no idea I am not working at their company.
It gave me a terrible first impression.
But I like this game so much, it was worth getting past any bewilderments.

I don’t suppose you could give me the super abbreviated version of what it’s all about so I don’t need to read this entire thread? :D

Think of it as a way to play a game of D&D without a DM having to spend hours/days coming up with encounters, treasure probabilities, etc. And also a way to play entire scenarios from a starting point to a concluding point within 30-60 minutes most of the time.

The game is all cards and dice. Your characters are built out of character cards. Locations to be explored are built out of cards. Each character in a party “explores” a place by turning over a card for that place, and then reacts to it. If it’s a monster, they attack it with a card in their hand, hopefully (a weapon, a spell, etc.). If the location card is a trap, they deal with it. If it’s loot or an ally, they try to gain it to add to their hand.

You basically try to turn over cards in location decks, looking for the big bad and his henchmen. You win by defeating the big bad and denying him any place to escape to. Then you get some reward for completing the scenario (cards or character abilities), and your persistent characters carry forward to the next scenario in the campaign.

Oh, and the physical game the computer version is based on is a co-op game that can be played multiplayer. The Steam version is currently and maybe forever single player only. The ipad version can be played multiplayer by passing the tablet.

It also has (optional) prema-death and is addictive as hell.

Yeah, this is… really, really good. I’m really impressed with the basic design here. Great stuff.

Of course, me being me, I lost an EPIC armor card because of a UI mishap. Won’t happen again.

I’m on the last few scenarios of the 6th adventure pack but haven’t finished yet. Need to go back and power through. It’s freaking difficult as hell though. I sure hope how they bring the next box to digital also.

I am still learning the UI. I was getting so frustrated the other night when a location had a rule that would allow me to put X cards from my hand into my draw pile to allow me to draw X-1 cards, but I could not figure out HOW. I kept dragging hand cards to different places…hand icon, draw deck icon, location icon…etc, etc. The game was also waiting for me to do it as I had to pass the option for the turn to progress, but…ughgh!

After several turns of “definition of insanity” trying, I declared it a bug. However, I noticed some other locations that didn’t have phase based special rules had a bright blue symbol in the location rule list. Sometimes it was gray. Eureka! I needed to click that symbol at the top left in location rules list to prompt the card movement.

So…PSA. Or something. And chalk one up for where physical game beats digital. I guess.

@Chaplin - I had the same issue with a different special rule, and was also chalking it up to a bug. I stumbled into the solution the same way you did. This should be covered in the tutorial.

So I downloaded the free one on iOS and like what I see so far. Is there any reason to pick one version over the other? Bummed to see that Mac version has issues as I just got a new MacBook and it would be fun to play on there.

Totally get what you guys are saying, and when I was in my first month or two of playing on the ipad I had to do the same trial-and-error as you guys to figure out how to utilize certain game choices on decisions that were offered my characters in a card encounter.

Unfortunately, this all goes back to the original game design and cards. There are so, so many of these little “You can do this and then do these other things…OR do this other thing, which means doing this” decisions in the game. And so, so many of them are very card specific, and don’t have that much to make them analogous to other decisions that if they tried to put it all in the tutorial, I fear they’d have a 4-hour learn-the-game thing.

Instead, I think you eventually get to “I know I should be able to do this thing I want to do…let me click around here a bit…” It isn’t perfect, and perhaps not even optimal, but it works pretty much.

I think it would be cheaper to buy Steam and connect to mobile second?

@Vesper I am with Scott on this one given how the market seems to have played out. Get PC. From reports this gives you iOS too. The opposite doesn’t. That said, I like this one quite a bit as an iPad on the couch or in a hotel room type game. I am not sure if I would enjoy it as much sitting at a computer.