The Peripheral - William Gibson's future London from Amazon

The first two episodes were really good! I was kinda iffy before going in, but thankfully, this was rather fun and good.
The effects are far better than I’ve seen for quite some time - Some of the acting may be a little bit on the nose, but it was all in all, a pleasure to watch.

Yep, I’m having fun watching this one so far. And some of the visuals are quite good.

And best of all, I’ve got a book I’ve not read by Gibson to add to my list.

Two books! Agency should be on your list too.

Has everyone already given up on this? I watched Ep 3 on Saturday and thought it did an ok job of continuing the storyline. Not a lot of nuance in the baddies - the ones from the evil future corporation.

Was thinking about the possible significance of the scene where young Wolf’s name is changed to Wilf. What I took from that was the English couple changing his name symbolized a more civilized influence on him, but at his core, he’s still a ‘wolf’ - that is, a fierce creature.

I’m still looking forward to getting more backstory on the world, etc. What’s with the giant statues (which I guess are carbon scrubbers? but why giant statues??)

Episode 3 was fine. I think if you haven’t read the book, you will at this point still be quite uncertain about the motivations of the various future folk.

No, I’m still watching it and enjoying it. And I’ve not read the book, going to do that after.

Everyone I’ve turned it on to is enjoying it too btw.

I’m waiting for it to finish airing.

I haven’t given up, but the thing with the bees was so dumb it really makes me wonder about this show. Such intensely bad writing.

The book is fantastic, and I understand why you couldn’t do a straight adaptation (the book is not written like a screenplay). But some of these choices are just boggling.

We are watching it, but the evil lady is very 2-dimensional/

I’ve been enjoying doing location spotting on this, as it’s clear they only had a few hours with closed streets in London, and it’s all in a tiny radius around the Bank of England/Mansion House (which is pretty much dead at the weekend so maybe they didn’t even close it off). So they have these sequences that are supposed to evoke long car journeys that are literally going around the corner.

Yeah, I’m sort of surprised she isn’t twirling a moustache while talking.

Yeah…this show is tipping into ‘wasted potential’ pretty quickly for me. I’ll still finish it, there is some really dopey stuff in here.

In some scenes the influence of the Westworld showrunners is so strong you can almost taste it.

But mostly I’ve been glad that the source material restrains their worst impulses, while letting them give us cool sci-fi visuals to match Gibson’s stylish prose.

For some reason that bit didn’t bother me. I thought it was a cool way to wack somebody, and I would think Pharma John could whip up pretty much anything, even something like that.

Overall really enjoying the show. Up there towards the top when it comes to TV scifi. Certainly miles ahead of Wesworld, even if with not quite the budget.

Yeah I hated Westworld and gave up on it after a few episodes. My wife really liked it and has watched the whole thing. So, maybe that explains why she’s liking this show. Also she hasn’t read the book.

Anyway, like I said, I am still hanging in there. Connor is great, so there’s that.

I’m still enjoying this a lot. It’s a very cool show.

Thinking regarding the last spoiler that that was the second attempt to get Flynn, the first one did involve the drones, etc.

However, the changes to the initial macguffin (what Flynn saw), have me wondering if one of the main characters in the book series The future cop Lowbeer will be in this, or if it will really change…

I’ve seen spoilers about that: Lowbeer is in it..

Never read the book and am enjoying the show quite a bit. Chloe Grace Moretz is fantastic, especially when she transitions from empty shell peripheral to Flynne-occupied peripheral, you can really sense it through just her facial expression and eyes…that’s good acting. I liked how the third episode gave us more background on Burton and his squad. I wondered at the coincidence of all of them living in the same small Tennessee town, then he literally says the haptic squads were specifically recruited from small towns where the guys would have grown up together and already have a deep connection so that the haptic implants could simply build on it. Cool stuff.

I assume the statue-like buildings are the carbon scrubbers, and that sometime in the years between present day for Flynne and 70 years in the future we failed at the whole climate change thing and it killed off a significant portion of the world population until countries could get said carbon scrubbers in place. The ability of the RI boss lady to seemingly manipulate solid objects at will makes me wonder what else there is to the RI backstory, as in perhaps the RI had some additional assistance from a source either not of the planet or not of the timeline they’re in. The motivations of Wilf/Wolf’s crew seem pretty vague at this point, so I’m hoping the next episode expands on that a bit.

Since House of the Dragon and Rings of Power both ended I needed something new and Peripheral is filling the void very nicely.

6z8jaq