The Peripheral - William Gibson's future London from Amazon

None of that makes any sense to me. Why can Flynn still access the future? I guess it’s some kind of quantum entanglement mumbo jumbo but honestly without a sustained power source and a sustained communications link to me it’s just Clarke’s Law fantasy/technobabble. Sure, you can wave your hands and say that, but it doesn’t have any coherence in my view. Also, Newland cannot access the new stub even though it was created by her equipment? Again I guess there’s no need to keep a connection open and no back ups and no cloud and no…

Eh, fine. I don’t require hard sci-fi, but I would at least like a glimmer of consistency and coherence and they just lost me big time with that last episode. Plus the POVs were all over the place. The character work, although individual good, was based wasted by the chaotic overall mess.

Basically the show had a start that was a bit slow but had potential, then hooked me with a fairly interesting second episode that seemed to foreshadow cool and interesting sci-fi and then IMO it just gradually lost cohesion until it became a mess.

Well that was just stupid garbage. What a waste.

I’m planning to do that too, but are there currently only two novels published, with a third supposedly on the way?

Anyone know what the timeline is for that last one?

She still has a helmet… She has everything. The new stub she created is a copy from the point in time where she had the helmet and everything.

The new stub is basically a branch that continues her life, normally. But the bad guys aren’t aware of it… But since it’s another stub, it’s connected to the future in exactly the same way as her original sub was.

Glad I gave up and skipped the ending, really.

Gibson had posted on Twitter in 2020 that he had started working on the new book, and the title was “Jackpot”. Maybe we’ll learn a bit more about the time between the stub and main timeline in book 1, or maybe not.

Wow, I didn’t expect finale to be the weakest episode but yep. That was bad.

You know what’s totally believable? I can break into your server room, defeat all your security, use your system to do a thing I’ve never done before using technology that is 70 years in my future, then leave, and you’ll never be able to figure out what I did. I mean, that’s a totally good thing to hang your season ender on. That just wraps everything up, I have no questions.

This show had so much potential. sigh

Yeah; the finale struck me as the writers feeling like they wrote themselves into a corner and didn’t know how to get themselves out of it.

LOL, I just came to ask if the series is worth it, but I see from the last posts people aren’t very happy with the ending?

I enjoyed it and don’t regret the time spent, but yes the ending was kind of weird and in some ways lame. I will continue with S2 if they make it though.

It’s just sub-par compared to some of the great stuff we’ve had on tv lately. But it’s still above-average tv.

The ending was rushed and undersold but conceptually cool. It doesn’t ruin the show.

I gave upon it. Good, solid start but weaker and sillier with each installment. Not at all terrible, but drifting so far from expectations given the source material that I found it pointless to keep being disappointed.

I kind of regret the time spent, to be honest. Doubt I’ll be watching any Season 2.

I’m with Paul; it was fun if you don’t mind some plot holes and dropped theads, but they really didn’t stick the landing. I think it will be easier to let it slide once there’s a season 2 to watch.

I checked the ratings aggregators. On Rotten Tomatoes it is 76% positive “all critics”, but only 59% “top critics”, and has an 88% audience score. On Metacritic it has a critic average of 57, and a user score of 6.1

So, most people like it, but apparently people who like it don’t like it very much.

The acting is good, the characters are good, it is jud-st the writing that got weaker and weaker.

I was trying to avoid spoilers. I just watched the first two episodes which were great. Is the consensus that it gets worse? I’m going to continue watching a least a few more episodes.